PDA

View Full Version : License to build and sell

Glenn C Miller
05-25-2013, 6:59 AM
I am a self employed wood worker in Pennsylvania who is building and selling small cabinetry and repurposing old doors and such. I also own a home renovation business and am a licensed contractor. I was wondering if I need a license to build and/or sell my cabinetry?

Keith Bohn
05-25-2013, 9:04 AM
Here were I am no, at least not in the sense of a contractor/professional license.

The only thing I think you need to do is get right with the IRS with regards to a tax ID, which will/does come in handy with buying materials.

Get with your tax preparer (if you have one) for that part, otherwise, start cutting.

Curt Harms
05-25-2013, 9:32 AM
Some municipalities have a business tax but if you're already a licensed contractor I don't know if you'd need anything further. It might also matter if you have a separate entity to sell your cabinetry. As Keith suggests, if you have a tax advisor that seems like the person to ask.

Glenn C Miller
05-25-2013, 8:19 PM
Thanks Keith and Curt!

Carl Beckett
05-26-2013, 6:24 AM
My town does require a licence (which is sounds like you already have). And also business insurance.

Peter Quinn
05-26-2013, 10:31 AM
My area doesn't require a license unless you do installs. You could run the businesses separately, cabinets as one thing, instalations as another. Insurance is a good idea should something you made fail, even if completely not your fault litigation may ensue, better to be covered. In my area you don't charge sales tax if the goods are unfinished.....most small shop custom stuff either gets finished on site or by a sub for that reason. Working on doors/ windows/ almost anything in an old house ANYWHERE in the good ole USA now requires a lead safety certification, new EPA rules, heavy fines for violating, any house older than 1982 ish ( there is an actual standard,mi just don't remember it ) has to be tested prior to begin work or assumed positive and treated as such. Then you have to set up hepa filters, zip walls, disposable drop cloths........doubles the cost of any project to follow the govnt rules. If your renovation business involves old homes as many do you should apprise yourself of those requirements. I just gave up doing anything in old houses. Used to fix old windows occasionally, no longer worth it to me.