Jimmy Phillips
05-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Pretty cool:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:84621

l8r,

Jimmy

Lee DeRaud
05-25-2013, 1:06 AM
I guess cutting out a 1" square and then measuring it is too simple...

Gary Hair
05-25-2013, 1:56 AM
I guess cutting out a 1" square and then measuring it is too simple...

DescriptionMeasure the kerf of a laser cutter without a caliper!

It's not simple if you don't have a way to measure it... I have a couple of calipers but not everyone does.

Rodne Gold
05-25-2013, 3:50 AM
Nice idea. Of course it also depends on whether your laser cuts a perfectly 1" square , tho I suppose if you make the kerf gauge with the same laser , it should be accurate...
IMO the 2 essential tools anyone with a laser that needs any measure of accuracy should have is a vernier and a printers loupe...

Lee DeRaud
05-25-2013, 9:36 AM
Nice idea. Of course it also depends on whether your laser cuts a perfectly 1" square...That's actually one of the first things you want to determine: whether a 1" square (in Corel coordinates) cuts to the same size in both dimensions.

Ernie Balch
05-25-2013, 11:46 AM
I had a job where the customer wanted a pattern cut with a 0.016" slot that is 3/16" deep in cast acrylic. I had to offset the first cut by .004" on both sides to get the width right. I couldn't find my measuring microscope so I wound up using feeler gages to set up the parameters.

Doug Griffith
05-25-2013, 2:23 PM
In my opinion it is unwise to run a job where the dimensions of the part are critical and there isn't a means to measure it. As mentioned before, the kerf isn't the only variable. Calipers should be in every toolbox.