PDA

View Full Version : Finding studs behind plaster and lath

Bruce Darrow
05-24-2013, 8:56 PM
Any tips on reliably finding studs in old plaster walls? I do have a stud finder (electronic). Haven't tried it yet, but I expect it will be next to worthless, yes? no? All advice appreciated. Wall mount shelf project is nearing installation phase.

Roger Newby
05-24-2013, 9:11 PM
The stud finder detects the difference in mass. I've used mine in my house that was built in 1900 with no problems. I do make a test drilling with a 1/16" bit just to confirm what the stud finder tells me. I have more of a problem with the old plaster being too soft and easily damaged. Be gentle when tightening down screws.

Lee Schierer
05-24-2013, 9:36 PM
A little wizard metal detector will detect the nails holding the lath to the studs.

Peter J Lee
05-24-2013, 11:37 PM
First, see what you can surmise from the existing structure such as heating vents. With the grill off you can often see and poke around with a wire and figure stuff out. Electrical outlets are typically mounted on studs. With the plate off and power off, you can often learn where a stud is. Use that info and lay a tape out and given starting and ending points you can often have a good idea before you drill.

The nature of hand plastering often leaves a very slight wave pattern with crests on the studs. Try holding a flashlight against the wall in low light. Its a pretty sure bet on ceilings.

John McClanahan
05-25-2013, 9:48 AM
+ metal detector.

Michael Weber
05-25-2013, 1:11 PM
Never tried it but have read on some old house forums that a magnet works to find the lathe nails.

Bruce Darrow
05-26-2013, 1:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Jim Laumann
05-28-2013, 3:36 PM
First, see what you can surmise from the existing structure such as heating vents. With the grill off you can often see and poke around with a wire and figure stuff out. Electrical outlets are typically mounted on studs. With the plate off and power off, you can often learn where a stud is. Use that info and lay a tape out and given starting and ending points you can often have a good idea before you drill.

The nature of hand plastering often leaves a very slight wave pattern with crests on the studs. Try holding a flashlight against the wall in low light. Its a pretty sure bet on ceilings.

One caveat about the tape measure idea - I owned a "old lady", and her studs spacing was - shall we say, approximate......

Some were 24 OC, but then again, 23 and 25" were entirely possible too.

Sure do miss that house - she was a lot of work, but she had features that no new house does....

Jim