PDA

View Full Version : From trees to finished Christmas present

Jim Stastny
05-18-2005, 12:36 PM
I finished the Christmas present for my wife. No, not next year's, I'm finally done with last years :D I never said I was fast, I'm not so sure I'm good, either ;)

Before I show the pictures here's a little explanation as to the construction of the piece:

To begin, several years ago hurricane Isabel danced through our area. While waltzing around the neighborhood she knocked over a couple nice red oak trees belonging to a friend. This friend allowed me to take three, ten foot section from two of the trees.

First, I and several friends took two Saturdays to roll the logs into the front yard. Then I had to find and hire someone with a portable sawmill to come and render the logs into boards. Once we accomplished that it took five trips with my little pick-up truck to haul the lumber to my house. At home I stacked and stickered the boards, covered them with a tarp, and let them air dry for 12+ months. Every bit of lumber (except the back and drawer bottoms) in this piece came from the above mentioned red oak trees. The carcass is joined using dovetails at the corners and blind dados for the various dividers.

As for the finish, I thought about following one of the more involved recipes, using dyes, sealers, glazes, etc. Instead I settled for an old tried and true formula: two coats of Watco Dark Walnut, followed by two coats of wipe on poly, finishing with two coats of Briwax Tudor Brown.

The first is a picture of the whole piece.

The next two pictures highlight the figure in the oak.

The last shows the dovetailing. Each drawer recieved the same number of dovetails, evenly spaced.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Jim,

I am sure it was well worth the wait for your wife! That tv stand looks great! I love the curl and the quarter sawn flaking!

Ted Shrader
05-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Jim -

Wow! Great wood selection. The rays and flecking are striking. Well done and definitely worth the wait!

Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
05-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Jim....Great work! I'm sure the LOYL is smiling!

Dan Gill
05-18-2005, 1:03 PM
I LOVE that quartersawn red oak. And what you did with it is impressive. Nice job, and well worth the wait.

John Miliunas
05-18-2005, 1:06 PM
No fair! All the q-sawn I've had around here, doesn't have anywhere near the nice flecking in it as you show!:mad: Anyhow, real sharp unit, Jim! Wonderful work on the DT's and finish detail in general. Bet you've got a happy bride, there!:) :cool:

Tyler Howell
05-18-2005, 1:12 PM
Was worth the wait. Very nice.:cool:

Jim Becker
05-18-2005, 1:17 PM
Wow! That's really a super piece and the oak is absolutely beautiful. Your wife is very lucky and it was worth the wait, IMHO.

Jason Tuinstra
05-18-2005, 3:06 PM
Jim, I'm glad to see that you've had some good quality time in the shop away from the stress of the pastorate. Wow! That oak was well worth the wait! That is a fantastic piece of furniture with some top quality lumber. I'm sure your wife is very, very happy. So, how many board feet do you have left? From the pictures I remember, you shouldn't have even made a dent in the stack yet. Happy building!

Jim Stastny
05-18-2005, 3:20 PM
So, how many board feet do you have left? From the pictures I remember, you shouldn't have even made a dent in the stack yet. Happy building!

I have at least 75% of the total remaining. However, very little is the quarter sawn, figured wood.

Thanks, for the remarks Jason, hope all is well in CA.

Jim W. White
05-18-2005, 3:29 PM
Outstanding work and you did a great job of picking the peices for that project.

Looks great!

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-18-2005, 3:30 PM
ALL I can say is DITTO to the above. Otherwise I'm speechless!

Bruce

Von Bickley
05-18-2005, 3:43 PM
Great looking cabinet, great looking dove-tails and fantastic wood.
You sure can be proud of that piece... ;)

Effie Lever
05-18-2005, 4:35 PM
Great looking piece Jim, its nice to know those trees will be looked at and enjoyed for many years to come.

Frank Pellow
05-18-2005, 4:56 PM
Excellent wood selection and excellent work Jim. Talk about turning devestation into beauty!

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2005, 5:16 PM
Excellent work and Excellent Wood!! Great job!!

Jim Stastny
05-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone, for your kind comments!

Martin Shupe
05-20-2005, 9:53 PM
Very nice, Jim! I like the design, and the finish on the QSRO is wonderful!

Jerry Clark
05-21-2005, 9:25 AM
That is a great looking cabinet-- and really special making it from a log! It will be treasured long after you are resting!:)

Doug Shepard
05-21-2005, 10:37 AM
.... I'm not so sure I'm good, either ;)

This is one area where you obviously don't know what you're talking about.:D
WOW.

Roy Wall
05-21-2005, 11:43 AM
JIm,

That is a beautiful chest.........terrific job! I bet its HHHHHHeavy..........great finish and fleck. Treat yourself- you've done well:)