PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunting in Rhode Island

Kurt Cady
05-24-2013, 6:54 PM
I've got to be in Rhode Island for business for a couple days in the near future. Assuming I can get away for an hour or two - does anyone have any suggestions as to places to look for old planes, etc? Looking for good users. I'll be anywhere from Providence to Newport

Ralph Boumenot
05-24-2013, 9:04 PM
There is a an antique store just outside of Providence off 95. The last time I was there 3 months ago there was one vendor with a lot of old stanleys but I thought he was asking too much money for them - rusted solid stanley #10 for over $200 was one item for sale\. Another guy was selling stanley dado planes, in good shape (1/4 3/8 1/2) for $110 $130 $130. The rest of what I saw was garbage. There also used to be an antique catch all everything on Rte 3 in Exeter but I haven't been there in a few years.
I pretty much rust hunt out of state now.

Kurt Cady
05-25-2013, 8:40 AM
There is a an antique store just outside of Providence off 95. The last time I was there 3 months ago there was one vendor with a lot of old stanleys but I thought he was asking too much money for them - rusted solid stanley #10 for over $200 was one item for sale\. Another guy was selling stanley dado planes, in good shape (1/4 3/8 1/2) for $110 $130 $130. The rest of what I saw was garbage. There also used to be an antique catch all everything on Rte 3 in Exeter but I haven't been there in a few years.
I pretty much rust hunt out of state now.

Where do you go outside of RI? Is it close?

Jeff Duncan
05-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately my information is way out of date so can't really help you:( I used to find some good stuff in the old days though. There was a weekend flea market right down the road from the Emerald mall that I found quite a few good buys at. Then there used to be an indoor flea market somewhere in Providence....that one I know for sure is long gone though. I think they took that building down some years ago! The towns not too far outside of Providence used to be good for yard sales also. Must be getting close to twenty years since I've gone hunting down that way.....good memories though!

good luck and happy hunting!
JeffD

Jim Matthews
05-25-2013, 6:19 PM
If you're attending over a weekend, the Seekonk Speedway fleamarket is just across the Massachusetts line off 195.

Good pickings, back by the trees. The regulars are closer to the entrance.
Arrive early (630am or so) to pay your $1 dollar entry fee.
(Bug spray and a hefty carry bag recommended.)

That line crawls, as the crowd grows.
http://seekonkspeedway.com/schedules/flea-market

Kurt Cady
05-27-2013, 7:07 AM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I'll be there during the week only. Anyone else out there with information?

Kurt Cady
05-28-2013, 7:12 AM
Bump for the Monday/Tuesdsy morning crowd