PDA

View Full Version : Rabbet block plane vs Shoulder Plane

Frederick Skelly
05-24-2013, 5:21 PM
Hi guys.
I read an article that recommended newbies buy a #4 smoother, then an adjustable block, then a #93, etc. I was reading up on 93s and someone suggested buying a LN Rabbet block instead.

The Rabbet block is bedded at 12 degrees, so it might also meet my desire to get a low angle block. Kind of a 2 for one deal. Of course its LN so its priced at $175, but thats still cheaper than buying both a low angle block and a shoulder plane. But thats only true if one tool really can do both jobs, right? (Ive seen some dual-use stuff doesnt do either job very well.)

Im sure Ill find lots of ways to use either one as I get to know them. But I wondered what you thought - which will be more useful if Im making tables, drawers and eventually a chair? (I want to learn mortise and tenon for some of that.) Can I use this rabbet block as a good low angle block?

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

Fred

David Weaver
05-24-2013, 6:47 PM
I think the rabbet block is a new incantation that doesn't really do anything that well. I think you can avoid it, too.

I have two shoulder planes, and I never use either for M&T. A chisel in a reasonably deep cut lines is easier. And for the face of the tenon, I think a plane bed float is actually easier than anything else, and works for fitting all kinds of things where you can cut cross grain.

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 7:25 PM
A chisel in a reasonably deep cut lines is easier. And for the face of the tenon, I think a plane bed float is actually easier than anything else, and works for fitting all kinds of things where you can cut cross grain.

I agree 100%. And since Dave brought it up, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my float for fitting tenons (did I mention that I love my float). I also have a LV medium shoulder plane that I use a lot but not much on tenon shoulders. Tenon shoulders really are easy to true with a chisel. Some type of rabbeting plane is really nice to have...be it a rabbet block or some type of shoulder plane. I'd recommend getting a medium or large shoulder plane if you need something with rabbeting capabilities. I've used both the LN rabbet block and LV skew block. They are very very nice tools but for general purpose work I wouldn't want them as my go to planes, and for truing rabbets and what not I'd rather have a shoulder plane (though I must admit I frequently think about getting a skew block or rabbet block :o)

Stanley Covington
05-24-2013, 8:29 PM
I have several shoulder planes, both wooden (Japanese) and steel (L-N). I bought a L-N Rabbet Block a few years ago, and prefer it to all my shoulder planes and even my standard block planes. I have mentioned it in other posts, but the wider blade and lower center of gravity make it easier to use.

Stan

Derek Cohen
05-24-2013, 8:35 PM
A rabbet block plane is not a substitute for a shoulder plane. I have the LN and have hardly used it in the past few years. It may be used on tenon cheeks or cross grain raised panels. The mouth is fixed and widish and this makes it more difficult to set up for a fine cut. The body is too wide to control on a tenon shoulder.

While a chisel may be used for a tunng the tenon shoulder, the shoulder plane was designed for this job and works very well. That is my first choice. The shoulder plane gets other uses as well, so is a worthwhile investment. It is a precision tool, and comes out when trimming delicate angles. I use one often to clean up and fine tune rebates, or even makes the comple rebate if it is in thin boards.

I either use a router plane tenon cheeks that are not quite parallel to the face of the stretcher, a rasp if there is a snitchet to remove, and of late I have also used a (new) wide shoulder plane. A rabbet block plane could be used here - I just forget that it is there. Of course, I rarely need to do any of that as my tenons are a perfect fit off the saw. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dave Cav
05-24-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm another shoulder plane guy. I have a LV Medium and use it all the time and will get a LV Large when I can convince myself to spend the money. I use the shoulder plane for a lot of things I shouldn't, like easing edges on panels, where my 60 1/2 works fine, too and is easier to handle. There are lots of cool looking block planes out there and I'm sure they work fine, but I have found that a shoulder plane, a 60 1/2 and some sharp chisels will take care of about everything, although a LV router plane is also on my list to eventually get.

George Beck
05-28-2013, 9:39 AM
I have always found the rabbeting block planes to be a clumsy device with so much weight hanging off the edge. I do not see much use for them. My very old clifton 410 on the other hand is one of my "go to" planes for many tasks including softly chamfering the edge on a thin panel.

George

Richard Shaefer
05-28-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm going to go against the tide on this one and give a hefty thumbs up for the maligned rabbet block plane, which I use all the time.

The best part about the plane is the nickers, which a shoulder plane doesn't have. You lay out a score line on a board either with or across the grain and the nicker rides it like a train track down the whole cut. it deepens as if goes, so you never need to set a fence or a clamp a ledger board.

I always (always) oversize my tenon cheeks by at least two swipes of the rabbet block on each side, so I know that tenon will be a tight fit. Most of my tenons are though pegged, so they're wider than a stub and wider than a shoulder plane blade, which means the rabbet block will do the job in one swipe instead of two.

And I like undercutting my shoulders for an air-tight fit, which means that I use a chisel for final trimming. I can't say that I've really needed a shoulder plane.

The only downside I see in the rabbet block is that it's short. It's hard to mentally index in your brain that the plane is level, so if you remove a good bit of meat from a rebate, it takes time to develop the muscle memory to keep it flat. A shoulder plane is so tall that it's easy to visually index it's orientation to the board.

Sean Hughto
05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I love my LN rabbet block. I use it all the time for all sorts of things. Different strokes ....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3102/3126403375_d74a4eaa7b_z.jpg?zz=1