PDA

View Full Version : Any Union plane experts?

Dave Parkis
05-24-2013, 4:58 PM
I was at a garage sale this morning and saw what I thought was a Stanley 9 3/4, so I grabbed it and threw it in my bag along with a few other goodies. After I paid, I went out to the car to start giggling in private and noticed that the mouth adjuster wasn't what I normally see on a Stanley, so I looked at the iron and, sure enough, its a Union. So, is there anyone here that can tell me what model number Union equates to a Stanley 9 3/4? TIA!!

Andrae Covington
05-25-2013, 2:09 PM
Not enough to really help you. Union block planes usually have a model number at the heel. According to Patrick Leach's site, Stanley made the 9 3/4 from 1873-1934. Union started in 1866, partially owned by some of the men who owned Stanley Rule and Level Co. Walt Quadrato says they were probably just a foundry at first, and didn't start marketing complete planes under their own name until around 1900. Stanley bought Union in 1920, but continued to sell off remaining Union items for the next twenty years.

Dave Parkis
05-25-2013, 3:26 PM
Thanks!! I'll check the body and see if there's anything there.

Greg Wease
05-25-2013, 5:25 PM
Check this out Dave. Scroll down to page 42 of the catalog and the Union plane number is also a 9 3/4. Interesting that they also had a 9 5/8--haven't seen that number before.

http://toolemera.com/catpdf/union1905cat.pdf