PDA

View Full Version : Shop-Made Toolbox Thread

Tom Clark FL
05-24-2013, 3:36 PM
Show us your shop-made toolboxes!

Having spent my career working in machine shops, my machinist toolbox was always at my side, and now that I am retired I still have the old roll-around machinist chests in the shop, over by the mill and lathe. Since taking up woodworking 30 years ago, I have always planned to make my own toolbox, but somehow building shop workbenches and other shop cabinets always seemed to take precedence…

For years years every time I saw a magazine article or photo of something I liked, I cut it out and added it to my shop notebook. In the early days I tried to save the magazines, but soon found out that with a pile of hundreds of magazines laying around, the articles you wanted to keep were never to be found again, so now they are clipped out and put into a shop notebook. The articles are divided into projects you admire and would maybe like to build one day, how to guides, furniture ideas, finishing tips, and many more catagories. One of them was all those beautiful home-made toolboxes woodworkers had built for their shops. I had planned on getting around to doing one for my shop one of these days.263023

What finally got me moving on my own project was when I found five sets of drawers slides left over from other projects, and the wood rack was over run with left over 1/4" plywood scraps that were too big to toss, and perfect for drawer bottoms. Anyway, I was in need of a shop project, so I spent a few days this week and built a large roll-around tool box for my shop. The main idea on my design was to make the box so that it would fit in with the 20 or so other shop cabinets in the shop, use up all the materials on hand, and just have a relaxing time spending time on my favorite hobby.

Tom Clark FL
05-24-2013, 3:39 PM
Here are some photos of the box I just finished. Still room for a few more projects, so would love to see what you guys have come up with for your shops.

Edward Mitton
05-24-2013, 4:21 PM
SWEEET.. That's a very nice rig.

At the very moment, I don't have such a centralized tool storage area. Most of my tools reside in an array of drawers, shelves, or old wood tool totes scattered around the work area. Have plans for a wall mount tool cabinet in the near future.

I like your idea about cutting out the magazine articles important to you. I have the same dilemma: hundreds of woodworking mags (mostly from the 1990s). I am constantly wasting time searching the stack for some article I remembered seeing sometime back, but...which dern issue was it in? Only problem is I am very anal about cutting up my mag collection, even the pile of Woodsmiths that I had stored in a garage that some mice chewed off the corners. Maybe I'll look into copying the articles and leaving the mags intact.

Von Bickley
05-24-2013, 5:13 PM
Tom,

That is a GREAT looking cabinet in a great looking shop.......

I only have 1 question....... Can you see what is in the top compartment?

glenn bradley
05-24-2013, 5:22 PM
Great stuff as usual Tom. I still have a stacked red metal Craftsman unit that I got way back when. I am slowly but surely whittling it down by moving items to more appropriate places. Once I get it lightened up a bit I would like to replace it with a shop made one. Your version is certainly inspirational.

Tom Clark FL
05-24-2013, 5:32 PM
Tom,

I only have 1 question....... Can you see what is in the top compartment?

Von,

Of course! Notice the photo of me by the rig - that was to show scale. Eyeballs just can see what is in the top . Guess you could call it a custom fit. <grin>

Hope I don't shrink as I age. Top of base is 36" high and top is 26" above that, but when lid is lifted I can easily see in.

Tom

Bruce Page
05-24-2013, 6:01 PM
Beautiful box Tom, and your shop ain't to shabby either. I'd have to sell my tablesaw to fit it in my shop!