PDA

View Full Version : The whats on your bench besides sharpening stones thread

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 2:05 PM
Hi friends,

Wow, as I write this the top three thread on the forum are about sharpening. As one of the main perpetrators of sharpening discussions that go on and on and on....and on....etc... I feel it is my duty to start a thread about something other than sharpening stones.

So here's what I'm up to lately. I've been working on this cabinet for DVDs and small books for well....way to long. Just can't seem to get as much time in the shop as I would like and I'm not that fast a woodworker anyway...so it goes I guess. Anyway, I don't have any super recent pics of it on me but here's a few from a while back when I was looking at hardware options.

263018 263017

Its farther along now. Just need to hang the doors, nail on the t&g back, slap some finish it and install the hardware.

I do have some recent pics of the finish options I was considering. I asked George what he liked for figured maple and he said his favorite was Thai/Siam Seedlac. Well, I ended up ordering that from shellac.net along with some "Dark Brown Biyasaki" seedlac as well as some Kusmi seedlac which is lighter and more refined. Here it is slapped on a test piece (though not all that evenly)...from left to right it goes Dark Brown Biyasaki, Thai/Siam, Kusmi, bare wood

263020 263021

I decided to go with the Biyaski (again on the left). I quite like it...its got a nice deep carmel tone w/o the oranginess of amber shellac. Here is on one of the door panels (which I prefinished) with BLO first applied underneath.

Anyway that's what I've been up to in terms of actual woodworking. What's on your bench?

Jim Koepke
05-24-2013, 2:20 PM
No pictures of the current project, a potting bench.

My first thought was this was a thread about what items might always be found on top of our benches.

For my bench, there is almost always a 1" chip brush with the bristles shortened. It is used to clean the dust and shavings out of planes after use. After that there is usually at least one pencil and a try square, followed by a marking knife.

jtk

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 2:25 PM
My first thought was this was a thread about what items might always be found on top of our benches.

For my bench, there is almost always a 1" chip brush with the bristles shortened. It is used to clean the dust and shavings out of planes after use. After that there is usually at least one pencil and a try square, followed by a marking knife.

I like that idea. Let's expand it to include this topic or current projects. Pretty similar for me, my bench pretty much always has my 6" double square on it, at least one pencil, a marking knife, and more often than not one 3/4" to 1.5" chisel and my oak mallet.

Actually my bench almost always has tons of crap all over it, but those things are almost always in the mix.

Steve Beadle
05-24-2013, 3:24 PM
Unless I need more room to work on a particular project, my workbench is home to my "FrankenCaddy"--a kind of catch-all tool rack that houses most of the tools I use frequently. The attached picture does not show modifications/additions made since the caddy was first built. If I need to move it, there are hand-holes in the upright ends. The caddy holds all my eclectic collection of chisels, my marking tools, a collection of rulers, etc. Each end (you can't see this in the picture) also has places for a mallet, two saws, and other implements.

Harold Burrell
05-24-2013, 3:25 PM
Hi friends,

Wow, as I write this the top three thread on the forum are about sharpening. As one of the main perpetrators of sharpening discussions that go on and on and on....and on....etc... I feel it is my duty to start a thread about something other than sharpening stones.

So here's what I'm up to lately. I've been working on this cabinet for DVDs and small books for well....way to long. Just can't seem to get as much time in the shop as I would like and I'm not that fast a woodworker anyway...so it goes I guess. Anyway, I don't have any super recent pics of it on me but here's a few from a while back when I was looking at hardware options.

263018 263017

Its farther along now. Just need to hang the doors, nail on the t&g back, slap some finish it and install the hardware.

I do have some recent pics of the finish options I was considering. I asked George what he liked for figured maple and he said his favorite was Thai/Siam Seedlac. Well, I ended up ordering that from shellac.net along with some "Dark Brown Biyasaki" seedlac as well as some Kusmi seedlac which is lighter and more refined. Here it is slapped on a test piece (though not all that evenly)...from left to right it goes Dark Brown Biyasaki, Thai/Siam, Kusmi, bare wood

263020 263021

I decided to go with the Biyaski (again on the left). I quite like it...its got a nice deep carmel tone w/o the oranginess of amber shellac. Here is on one of the door panels (which I prefinished) with BLO first applied underneath.

Anyway that's what I've been up to in terms of actual woodworking. What's on your bench?

Wow...awesome stuff!

And what a WONDERFUL job prepping the wood for finish.

I gotta ask...what did you plane them with? What was the bevel angle? What kind of stones did you sharpen them on?

Sorry...couldn't resist...;)

David Weaver
05-24-2013, 3:25 PM
Kitchen cabinet parts. I wish I could say something more interesting, but that's pretty much it.

And a couple of air tools. No sharpening stones though.

dan sherman
05-24-2013, 3:32 PM
Parts of a pair of Jatoba end tables that are being pre-finished, and a bunch of chisels that need resharpened.

Edward Mitton
05-24-2013, 3:49 PM
Let's see.....OK, the bench is piled with a lot of parts and pieces of a camper trailor restoration I'm currently immersed in. Over here are a couple pieces of hand planes scattered about that I was doing restoration work on before the camper showed up. And in this corner (under a camper vent cover), a small box of vintage hand tools picked up at a yard sale last week that I haven't had time to put away in the "to be restored" bin. Oh, and here's a pine scrap that's still in the bench vise that I was using to test a newly sharpened chisel....ah, here it is, a wood project - the leg pieces of a lathe stand that I hand-sawed to size a couple of weeks ago. Don't know when I'll be able to get back to that one...Oh, geez, gotta go mow the lawn and clean the pond, but first I need to go through this pile of junk mail that somehow landed on my workbench......

Shaun Mahood
05-24-2013, 4:36 PM
I'm working on a 3 piece hard maple table top with breadboard ends . I didn't put enough work in when straightening the edges because I was too excited about doing my first tongue and groove, so now I'm alternating between adjusting that and flattening the 3 pieces to match each other. After that I get to try my first breadboard ends - I think I'm going to actually make sure they are straight this time. I now see why hard maple is not really recommended for hand tool only work, but I am definitely getting a workout.

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 4:43 PM
I like this thread. Interesting to hear what other folks are working on. Steve's franken caddy is pretty cool too! I'd love to see more pics of what folks are working on if anyone gets a chance.

I just got home and took a shot of my bench as I last left it. I was close. The mallet is there, as is my 4" double square (though I guessed my 6"), and in that little package dealy-wacker in the back left corner (in front of the backsaws are my 2 marking knives). In the little slot wrack thingy on the back you can obviously see my backsaws (though I don't really count those as being on my bench all the time even thought they are alway hanging there). You can also see my 1.5" 750 which along with one of my Veritas chisels. Things I didn't guess...a marking gauge which is also almost always there and just to the right of the stanley 750 handle you can see the handle of my new LN float that is rapidly becoming something that lives at the bench (more on that wonderful tool later).

Wow...awesome stuff!

And what a WONDERFUL job prepping the wood for finish.

I gotta ask...what did you plane them with? What was the bevel angle? What kind of stones did you sharpen them on?

Sorry...couldn't resist...;)

Jeez Harold! With questions like that people are going to think that sharpening is somehow important in woodworking ;)

Thanks for commenting. It's coming along ok. A little rougher around edges than I would like (which can be seen in person, better than the photo) but it will be nice piece of furniture despite a number of boogers. The panel was planed with a regular stanley bailey No. 4C (type 18 I believe). It has the stock iron in it with the stock chipbreaker set very very close. It is hollow ground at around 30 degrees but for a finished surface like this I jigged it up in my exclipse guide and put a 35 degree MB on it (the 35 degree bevel gives some nice edge longevity). I am pretty sure I finished up the blade with a few strokes on CrOx, but I can't recall, as I often just go to work right from my Naniwa Snow White 8k stone. In the previous pic the figure looks extra intense since it was shot at an angle under somewhat raking light. It does have a nice mix of curl and light birdseye figure but its less intense looking from head on. Here are some head on cell phone shots of the cabinet in its current state.

263032 263033

steven c newman
05-24-2013, 4:51 PM
Needed a small box for use as an "IN" box for mail. Bench (at least that is what I call it)263035263036263037263038work. Something simple, just nail and glue box263039263040edges eased with a block plane. About the size of a "normal" letter. may have to make an "out" box later? Oh, and the "shop" i work out of? Called a Dungeon Shop.

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 4:51 PM
I'm working on a 3 piece hard maple table top with breadboard ends . I didn't put enough work in when straightening the edges because I was too excited about doing my first tongue and groove, so now I'm alternating between adjusting that and flattening the 3 pieces to match each other. After that I get to try my first breadboard ends - I think I'm going to actually make sure they are straight this time. I now see why hard maple is not really recommended for hand tool only work, but I am definitely getting a workout.

Sounds like a fun project, though I hear ya on the maple. I'd rather work walnut or cherry. Would love to see some pics if you have a chance.

Mark Baldwin III
05-24-2013, 5:11 PM
mistakes, mostly.

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 5:17 PM
mistakes, mostly.

hahahahahah. Choked on my beer. That answers going to be tough to beat! I can relate!

John T Barker
05-24-2013, 5:27 PM
My current project is a bowl that I am making out of a big piece of burl. I'm not turning it but I want it to look turned so I made a router jig to do that. Now I need to make a new router jig to flatten the top of the burl...pretty much an overarm router.
On my bench is a collection of tools of every kind that I used to make the jig and the ones I used to make the first burl bowl. Way too much crap, no other way to put it.

John

Brian Thornock
05-24-2013, 5:27 PM
I've got some fresh finish on mine. The top has had a cup of about 1/8" or so for several months and, with some bedside tables in the works, I decided I needed a genuinely flat surface. The old #7 came out and a few hours later, it's done, but so are my muscles. Once it's back in shape, there will be a couple small tool chests for small items like needle files, picks, punches, allen keys, etc. and a little shelf for things like sanding blocks and a pencil holder.

Mike Allen1010
05-24-2013, 8:36 PM
Chris,

Great thread! Just when I thought I couldn't take a note or sharpeningI'm not nearly smart enough to understand, your thread about current projects and stuff on the workbench is just what I need!

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 8:43 PM
Chris,

Great thread! Just when I thought I couldn't take a note or sharpeningI'm not nearly smart enough to understand, your thread about current projects and stuff on the workbench is just what I need!

So what's on your bench friend? Saws in restoration? Some more carving practice? Stuff for boys?

Mike Allen1010
05-24-2013, 8:53 PM
Chris,

Great thread! Just when I thought I would overload on another sharpening thread that I'm not nearly smart enough to understand, your post about current projects and what's on your work branch seems Like just what the doctor ordered.

I love your cabinet -- great figure on the door panels (I look forward to some pictures with the final finish), the moldings on the top look great and I really like the overall silhouette, which seems to my admittedly feeble eyes to be wider at the top than at the base.

What's the deal, have you been studying design on the downlow?

And about this testing different finishes, entirely too logical!

It looks like a fine piece of furniture and I look forward to seeing the finished pictures.

As for my bench, mostly failed tool building attempts, but on the upside there are usually a couple beer bottles I neglected to get rid of before my wife could heckle me - now that I think of it I'm not really sure that is upside?

All the best, Mike

Federico Mena Quintero
05-24-2013, 9:02 PM
A lot of short pieces of wood! I cleaned the shop and 1) put all the long boards in the racks (instead of having them lay about); 2) gave away the big-bag-of-really-short-offcuts; and 3) put all the boards under 1m long on the workbench to sort them.

And there is good stuff for legs for coffee tables and such, and a lot of crap that I'm probably going to give away anyway.

I try not to hoard wood, but sometimes the "I might use this someday" bug bites really hard.

Roy Lindberry
05-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Great idea for a thread.

What's on my bench right now? My bench. I'm working on a Scandanavian style workbench. I built the base a while ago, and am now working on the top. It is all out of Doug Fir, mostly quartersawn. I joined the legs to the feet and uppers with wedged through mortise and tenons, and the stretchers are connected to the leg assemblies via dovetail shaped tenons. The tenons have an angle on the bottom and are flat on the top, with a wedge on top of that to lock everything in place. It is super sturdy and can be broken down very easily, if necessary.

Right now, I have an old laminate desktop clamped down to the base, while I build the top. Things are going, but slowly, as my time in the shop has been pretty limited. But it is definitely my highest priority in the shop right now - and most definitely on my bench.

Mark Dorman
05-24-2013, 11:30 PM
My on hold project is a tv stand for our flat screen. it's on hold after talking to a coworker about his service to our country; I decided to make him a display cabinet for his challenge coins.

Andrew Hughes
05-25-2013, 12:21 AM
I just finished fitting slips and drawer bottoms for two night stands.Heres the last one.

David Barnett
05-25-2013, 2:50 AM
As one of the main perpetrators of sharpening discussions that go on and on and on....and on....etc... I feel it is my duty to start a thread about something other than sharpening stones.

Impressive, Chris—actual woodworking, not to mention actual joinery.

So what's on my bench, er... benches? I've been working wood, but on a smaller scale—what one might politely call mixed media treen. Lots of materials and hand tools but not one scrap of furniture.

• Two pairs of eyeglasses frames; ebony, snakewood.

• A walking cane with silver wire inlay. One joint only where the handle meets the shaft, but joinery, nonetheless.

• Jewelry and watch case prototypes—more snakewood, et al, plus Argentium® sterling.

• Rosewood, aluminum, stainless steel drawer and cabinet pulls.

• A celedon & ivory galuchat covered desk clock. Oh, the wood's there—you just won't see it.

Hand tools? Files, more files, abrasive stones, sanding & polishing sticks, gravers, punches, pitch bowl, hammers, rasps, scrapers, chisels and gouges, fret saw, eggbeater, dividers, calipers, pin vise with drills, various vises, screwdrivers, spokeshave, awl, very small backsaw, torch, stakes and anvils, rolling mill, mortar & pestle, knives, taps & dies, rules, squares, scribes, surface plate, thickness & surface gauges, brushes, magnification, more.

Power tools? Bandsaw, ancient King-Seeley scroll saw, flex shaft, 1x42 belt sander, bench grinder, small metalworking lathe, buffing lathe, drill press, rotary diamond laps, kiln.

Sundries? Hot hide glue, West System epoxy, shellac, dammar, beeswax, pumice, masking & double-stick tape, solvents, Waterlox, Renaissance Wax, tripoli & other compounds, sandpaper & polishing papers, carnauba, more.

Woods? Madagascar ebony, several dahlbergias, snakewood, box, Honduran mahogany.

While vexed at my dwindling output and how much foot dragging my inventory revealed, this thread nevertheless lightened my insomnia.

Chris Griggs
05-25-2013, 6:55 AM
I just finished fitting slips and drawer bottoms for two night stands.Heres the last one.

Now that's one heck of a drawer!

Lots of materials and hand tools but not one scrap of furniture.

Who said anything about furniture? Some of the coolest stuff I see on this forum isn't furniture.

george wilson
05-25-2013, 7:46 AM
My current small project is making a display base for a Ryder Cup trophy(which I also helped to make years ago),currently on display at the golf course that is part of the museum. They want to elevate the trophy about 3 1/2" to center it up in the display case. No great shakes. I will spray it satin black so it doesn't look like it is part of the trophy,which has a dark reddish brown mahogany base. We used to make the PGA trophies in a not defunct silversmith manufacturing facility that was part of the museum,and made products sold at the museum stores. I did all the steel spinning chucks and wooden parts of the trophies. Eventually,someone under bid them,offering cheaper prices(and cheaper work?). Decision makers often can't tell the difference.

Mike Allen1010
05-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Andrew, beautiful job with those drawers -they are high-end, professional work!

I love the book match you did for the drawer bottom -- beautiful! Is it solid wood or a veneer over plywood?

Also love the curved drawer fronts with nicely executed dovetails, again beautiful. Did you bend the drawer fronts or saw them out of thicker stock?

Thanks for posting pictures of your work, I hope you will post more in the future.

All the best, Mike

Andrew Hughes
05-25-2013, 1:25 PM
Thanks mike,The drawer front are resaw and glued back in a mdf form.I am almost done and will post some pics soon.My customer is expecting some really special.I may have over did it.Anyone want to guess the wood on the drawer bottom?
The drawer fronts are Claro walnut.

Andrae Covington
05-25-2013, 2:45 PM
What's on your bench?

The beginnings of a moxon vise. Behind that, halfway through beveling the underside of one of the tops for two nightstands I am building, the bases are standing on the toolchest in the background. I'll finish the moxon vise before starting the dovetails for the drawers. After that, the usual mess. Since I don't have a tail vise, the right end of the bench is a near-permanent disaster area.

mistakes, mostly.

My favorite answer.:D

Julie Moriarty
05-25-2013, 4:49 PM
I'm doing some glue-ups on a jatoba/sapele light box. The sides are jatoba & the panel sapele. The front will slide out to access the recessed puck lights, so the lamps can be changed. Because the panel is solid wood and over 30" wide, I have to allow for more wood movement than the depth of the dadoes. So I'm gluing up strips on the bottom so I can trim the panel down on the sides. I had to widen the dado to allow for the sliding movement. The L-N 98 & 99 planes are very handy when doing that.
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Woodworking/Kitchen%20Cabinets/lightbox_01_zps94d24c26.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Woodworking/Kitchen%20Cabinets/lightbox_02_zpsee12981b.jpg

Dave Pugh
05-25-2013, 6:42 PM
Here is what's on my work bench. My first attempt at cutting mortises and tenons by hand. Not really making anything, and just using some scrap left over oak.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3379_zps770db89e.jpg

It took me two times to learn that when cutting a through mortise, do not have the piece of wood hanging off the edge of the bench but supported by something directly underneath. These are my first mortises.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3381_zps81da70d3.jpg

These two are mortises three and four.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3382_zps20d0049c.jpg

I stink at hand sawing. Had I used my router, these would be perfectly shaped tenons, hence the reason why I am trying to do this by hand tool only.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3383_zps772ee5d8.jpg

Basically practice in making a bench. I made a beautiful five board bench using my power tools and screws. I want to make another one using traditional joinery and hand tools.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3384_zpsd8874d9f.jpg

Here is what else is on my bench. A bunch of blanks from a dying maple tree I had cut down in my yard. Oh look, a sharpening stone.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3385_zps0053225c.jpg

The rest of my bench. Still have not quite found a place to put all of my new planes.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3386_zps7ac86ccc.jpg

Joe Leigh
05-25-2013, 9:42 PM
Beautiful work Andrew...

Steve Voigt
05-25-2013, 9:55 PM
Chris, great idea. This is a terrific thread. So many cool projects!
My big project for the summer is to make some modernist windsor chairs, along the lines of Nakashima's New Chair, or Moser's Eastward Chair. As you can see, they're not quite on my bench yet:

As for what's actually on the bench, I did make a saw vice the other day (Oh no, more sharpening!). When I had to buck one of those log quarters in half today, I was pretty glad to have a freshly sharpened saw.

I needed a froe, so I had the local machine shop weld a piece of 5/16 x 2 1/2 bar to a piece of pipe. They charged me a whoppin' $33. Yesterday I made a handle, and this morning sharpened the blade with an angle grinder:

I also made a quickie improvised riving brake today, but don't have a picture yet.

allan kuntz
05-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Not much of a typer so here is my bench. I am working on a segmented turning somewhere in there. I will post picture when done263105

Dave Beauchesne
05-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Great thread Chris.

The two attached pics are of a 2x4 contest project I am building. A Japanese tea pot / cup caddy set on a traditional form called a Yamakasa that consists of two 24" long 'skids' that double as carrying handles.
There is a quarter lap cross structure that supports the 8" deep x 6-1/2" high x 13-1/2" long box ( pictured ) that has one sliding door.
The idea is based on an article by Mike Bray in the Feb. 2001 issue of Woodwork, which I am loosely following. Instead of finger jointing the box, I am using dovetails.
To satisfy the sadistic side of me, the project is in Pacific Yew: this particular piece is as stringy a piece as I have seen - it doesn't want to plane well at all and the chisels blunt quite quickly. Nasty, stringy is all I can say - no wonder they make bows out of it.
The woodworkers guild I belong to has a 2x4 contest every June, the material criteria is a 2x4x8 feet long in softwood.

Dave B

Lornie McCullough
05-26-2013, 2:01 PM
R Bruce Hoadley's book Identifying Wood, wood samples from around the shop, microscope, flask with water for specific gravity, hand lenses, and peanuts.

There is soooo much to learn.... and the peanuts are addicting.

Lornie

Mike Allen1010
05-26-2013, 4:56 PM
So what's on your bench friend? Saws in restoration? Some more carving practice? Stuff for boys?

Chris, you know me too well, my bench pics below. Last pic is of my first bench I built 30 years ago and now has turned into a toxic waste dump because I use it primarily for metal working, rust removal of saw plates etc - icky!!!

Again, great idea for a thread! I love these shop pictures of what people are working on -- very inspirational.

All the best, Mike

Chris Griggs
05-27-2013, 12:31 AM
I love these shop pictures of what people are working on -- very inspirational.

I'm really loving this too. I was out of town the last 2 days and only reading this thread on my phone. Just got back and its really fun to see all the different stuff people are either working on, learning about, practicing etc... I hope people continue to post pictures. So many fun things to work on and learn about...lots of different interests here.

Now where is Charlie? I can't believe he hasn't posted yet. Come-on Mr. Sanford. I posted this thread for you as much as anyone else... I know how much you loathe all that waterstone talk:)

Tony Shea
05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
So as of late I have been working on an acoustic guitar, trying to do as much as possible with hand tools. So far have been 100% hand tool. I am a bit behind on the picture taking so I appologize for the sparatic pics of the build process. I have the neck close to ready to mount on the body, yet I have no body made up yet.

My rosette is glued in my top and I have roughed out all my brace stock. I am getting ready to radius my braces in preparation for gluing them onto my top.

THis has been a huge learning experience for me in every way and really has been more difficult than I thought.

I also failed to resize the picture of my Indian Rosewood back material to post pics of but soon I will get to all that. I am posting progress on another forum as I am entered into a beginner guitar making contest. This is my first attempt BTW.

263174 263175 263176 263177 263178

David Paulsen
05-27-2013, 12:53 PM
This is a very nice post. I have just come back from Paris (5 days) today, and I can't wait to get back into the shop. So much inspiration out in the world... And as always, so much in here. Great to be back.

But what I was working on before I left was a salt box from some scraps. I still need to finish it (first time trying some shellac) and I am going to burn the word "SALT" in the front... Luckily the word "salt" is the same in Danish. First picture is from the shop, and second from my kitchen when the lid was attached with dowels:

Chris: Thank you for starting this thread... Do you also work in a basement? I just saw the way your wall looks behind your bench, and thought it looks as tired as my basement (crumbling) wall.

Regards
David

Tony Shea
05-27-2013, 1:10 PM
What is the dark wood in the salt box David? Is it brown oak? For that matter what are both the woods used?

David Paulsen
05-27-2013, 1:24 PM
Hey Tony, the woods used are fumed oak, to an almost black color (if given oil, it turns almost entirely black) and the other wood is birch.

Kees Heiden
05-27-2013, 2:48 PM
This is on my bench, and not only my bench is seriously overpowered by this slab. I am too.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZhMCaY5vOx8/UZFLN1XLAgI/AAAAAAAAA30/ovGjQl3GAFQ/s640/foto10.JPG

Chris Griggs
05-27-2013, 3:06 PM
Chris: Thank you for starting this thread... Do you also work in a basement? I just saw the way your wall looks behind your bench, and thought it looks as tired as my basement (crumbling) wall.

:) Sure do. And yes, Philadelphia basements are indeed tired and crumbly. While I'm thankful to have a decent amount of space down there it is far from ideal. Too dim and loose concrete dust EVERYWHERE. My wife and I are starting a house hint soon (we rent the current house) and when we buy the first thing I'll do in the what will liekly be another basement shop is put of some decent lights and seal up all the concrete so there isn't that nasty dust everywhere.

Also, cool box! Love that fumed oakk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-27-2013, 8:42 PM
R Bruce Hoadley's book Identifying Wood, wood samples from around the shop, microscope, flask with water for specific gravity, hand lenses, and peanuts.

There is soooo much to learn.... and the peanuts are addicting.

Lornie

Thanks to Wilbur Pan, all this (http://tmblr.co/ZBSGOyik_2wT) is all I can think of when Hoadley's book comes up . . .

David Weaver
05-27-2013, 9:31 PM
Nothing on my bench except slop and a few kitchen cabinet parts. Maybe half a saw plate or something and a bunch of junk. Work has been off the bench lately. Contractor put up trim for me, and I painted it the last couple of weeks, and FIL and I nailed in T&G bamboo this weekend on my porch.

David Paulsen
05-28-2013, 3:16 AM
:) Sure do. And yes, Philadelphia basements are indeed tired and crumbly. While I'm thankful to have a decent amount of space down there it is far from ideal. Too dim and loose concrete dust EVERYWHERE. My wife and I are starting a house hint soon (we rent the current house) and when we buy the first thing I'll do in the what will liekly be another basement shop is put of some decent lights and seal up all the concrete so there isn't that nasty dust everywhere.

Yeah, that is just the kind of work I'm thinking of doing in my own shop. I'm working on making a window at the moment, which will make a huge different (I hope) all though it leads directly out to a concrete wall. Not much of a view, but some natural indirect light is something. Going to seal my walls, and fix the giant potholes in the floor. One of these days I might sprain an ankle during a planing operation... Not to mention tipping on end when squatting to check for wind in a board.

If you are going house hunting, you should really talk yourself and wife into getting a small garage or such, no? Perhaps that's hard to come by in your area? I know it is here. The wood and work is what matters though :)

Shawn Pixley
05-28-2013, 5:39 AM
My bench likely has dust on it today. I've been on business travel for the last two weeks. When I left there was a box I was inlaying and two planes I picked up at a flea maket that I was to repair / tune up. Possibly the worker faeries have cleaned up and left behind new tools to try out (one can always hope).

Chris Griggs
05-28-2013, 6:10 AM
If you are going house hunting, you should really talk yourself and wife into getting a small garage or such, no? Perhaps that's hard to come by in your area? I know it is here. The wood and work is what matters though :)

You nailed it. Garages in Philly, especially in/near the heart of city, where we are looking are few and far between...and the houses that do have them tend to only be the more luxurious (read, very expensive) homes.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-28-2013, 12:52 PM
We live in the second story of a house, and although we have basement access, it's cramped, low ceilings with pipes run with no regards to ever using the space for anything but storage. And also, it's a dirt floor. And just gross.

So my workspace is a corner carved out of the spare bedroom, with pretty easy access to the porch as well. And I have to say, I love it. Whenever we manage to leave here, having a little space in the living quarters where I can do my benchwork will be high on my list. Just not having to worry so much about temperature swings or water in the basement in regards to my tools is worth it. While I'd love to have a garage or a space where I can set up a bandsaw and some other power equipment, maybe a little bit of router stuff too, (no way I'm doing much that throws dust in any space so open to the rest of our living quarters) I think I'd sacrifice that for the ability to have a shop with natural light. Not that every basement has to be a cave, of course, and if the right setup comes along, sure. But I love what I've got, and would suggest to anyone with the option.

David Weaver
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
You nailed it. Garages in Philly, especially in/near the heart of city, where we are looking are few and far between...and the houses that do have them tend to only be the more luxurious (read, very expensive) homes.

My parents' basement is like that, and so is their garage for that matter. Crumbly cement and mortar in combination that just gets everywhere. If you drop something on the floor, little granules will be stuck to it when you pick it up. You can't sweep it, either, the granules just keep slowly releasing as you do. When you're in an old neighborhood, the best you can hope for is an add-on garage from later, or an unusually large carriage house that someone else spent money working on.

Zach Dillinger
05-28-2013, 12:57 PM
My 1974 Datsun 260Z is on my metaphorical bench right now. Haven't touched my woodworking tools in about a week. Nothing pressing going on there so I decided to work on this nice little car that I've owned for seven years, yet only driven twice.

On my real bench is a nice little pine dresser that will be grain-painted to resemble walnut as soon as I finish the woodwork.

David Weaver
05-28-2013, 1:02 PM
1970s datsuns.....blue smoke and bondo!!

Richard Shaefer
05-28-2013, 1:07 PM
a refinised set of Stanley 720 chisels as a birthday gift to a friend (it was a big birthday)

btw, flattening the back of a 720 sucks.263238

Chris Griggs
05-28-2013, 1:08 PM
My parents' basement is like that, and so is their garage for that matter. Crumbly cement and mortar in combination that just gets everywhere. If you drop something on the floor, little granules will be stuck to it when you pick it up. You can't sweep it, either, the granules just keep slowly releasing as you do. When you're in an old neighborhood, the best you can hope for is an add-on garage from later, or an unusually large carriage house that someone else spent money working on.

Yep that's exactly what mine is. Can't sweep it. It just releases more and more grit. And the more you sweep the more of that grit gets kicked into the air.

My work space in NOLA was more like Joshua's. At the time I lamented not having a more dedicated work space as it was literally just a small space off the end of the kitchen. The dedicated basement space definitely has its advantages, but the well lit upstairs was a much more pleasant place to work.

Zach Dillinger
05-28-2013, 1:10 PM
1970s datsuns.....blue smoke and bondo!!

Not on my cars. No bondo in this little honey... and it has to run to blow blue smoke! That will change this weekend, and believe me, there will be no smoke. I am fastidious about the way my cars run.

Chris Griggs
05-28-2013, 1:12 PM
a refinised set of Stanley 720 chisels as a birthday gift to a friend (it was a big birthday)

btw, flattening the back of a 720 sucks.263238

Those are some sweet chisels Richard!

Michael Ray Smith
05-28-2013, 4:06 PM
In the way of projects -- my first Shaker box, in progress.

In the way of tools and such -- my shaving pony which is still clamped to the bench from the last time I needed it a few days ago.

george wilson
05-28-2013, 4:19 PM
Not on my workbench,but I just spent the morning replacing the 3 bottom rows of vinyl siding on my shop building. My wife wanted to use the weed burner. Told her to stay away from the building!!:)

Steve Voigt
05-28-2013, 8:40 PM
In the way of tools and such -- my shaving pony which is still clamped to the bench from the last time I needed it a few days ago.

Hi Michael,
What's a shaving pony? Any chance you could post a pic?
I'm about to do my first spindles with the drawknife and really don't want to build a separate shaving horse. Something smaller that clamps to the bench sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks!
-Steve

Leigh Betsch
05-28-2013, 9:49 PM
Plane parts. What do you expect.

Mike Allen1010
05-29-2013, 7:26 PM

Lee, those plane parts look awesome! It looks like adjustable mouths and ROCK SOLID steel beds- (or is it "Frog" if they don't move?).

I don't do any metal working (way too lazy and not nearly talented enough), I'm curious how long did it take you to build all those parts? Do you mill all of that stuff out of solid steel, or are you able to buy some components premade?

Fantastic work -- thanks for posting the pictures. I can't wait to see them when they're done!

All the best, Mike

Leigh Betsch
05-29-2013, 9:05 PM
Thanks Mike. I machined everything from the solid. Started with 3" dia Round stock for the bodies, 5x5 stock for the frogs. 3/8" soles with adjustable mouths. I've gotta lot of hours into them, more than most folks would want to invest. I posted two of the completed one here. I also posted some YouTube links in the metalworking forum.

Now I gotta get that pm off to you so I can buy the saw you have listed.

Steve Friedman
05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Hi Michael,
What's a shaving pony? Any chance you could post a pic?
I'm about to do my first spindles with the drawknife and really don't want to build a separate shaving horse. Something smaller that clamps to the bench sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks!
-Steve
I'm not Mike, but here's a shaving pony from Alf's blog. I did build one based on this design and it definitely works.

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/album/albums/userpics/10001/beechchair053.JPG

Steve

Peter Pedisich
05-29-2013, 11:36 PM

WOW!!! :eek: incredible work!

Lloyd Robins
05-29-2013, 11:45 PM
I am working on (hopefully not destroying) a Keystone saw. I will be posting a couple of questions on another thread.

Steve Voigt
05-30-2013, 7:45 PM
I'm not Mike, but here's a shaving pony from Alf's blog. I did build one based on this design and it definitely works.

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/album/albums/userpics/10001/beechchair053.JPG

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Steve Q Brown
05-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Not on my cars. No bondo in this little honey... and it has to run to blow blue smoke! That will change this weekend, and believe me, there will be no smoke. I am fastidious about the way my cars run.

Maybe no smoke for a little while...
But David has it right...It's still a 70s datsun ;).
I played around with 510s and 240-300z's for a bit in my 20s... They're fun, but even at their best a far cry from modern technology. The best Datsun I had the pleasure of riding in had an EFI 5.0L Ford small block. :) (not that that motor is particularly better than a datsun's for not smoking/leaking oil ... but hey, at least it's a v8)

On topic-
On my bench now are some poplar face frame pieces for what will be a whitewashed plywood/poplar bookcase with an inset luaun back, a couple mortise and tenon frames of 'reclaimed' old growth redwood for my wifes credentials that should already be on the wall of her office, and the niggly/annoying project bin (an old baking pan) of miscellaneous little tedious and time consuming re-glue/remake/rebuild trinkets and knick knacks.
Tools-wise, I've got an ebay miller's falls #4(90?or w/e) that needs some TLC, and a hack knife/chisel thing from LV that arrived disappointingly out of square. Probably some other chisels that could use a sharpening, but this week, and the last couple, the main focus has been on getting the garden set for the season and coddling expectant mother rabbits.

Zach Dillinger
05-31-2013, 8:21 AM
Maybe no smoke for a little while...
But David has it right...It's still a 70s datsun ;).
I played around with 510s and 240-300z's for a bit in my 20s... They're fun, but even at their best a far cry from modern technology. The best Datsun I had the pleasure of riding in had an EFI 5.0L Ford small block. :) (not that that motor is particularly better than a datsun's for not smoking/leaking oil ... but hey, at least it's a v8)

On topic-
On my bench now are some poplar face frame pieces for what will be a whitewashed plywood/poplar bookcase with an inset luaun back, a couple mortise and tenon frames of 'reclaimed' old growth redwood for my wifes credentials that should already be on the wall of her office, and the niggly/annoying project bin (an old baking pan) of miscellaneous little tedious and time consuming re-glue/remake/rebuild trinkets and knick knacks.
Tools-wise, I've got an ebay miller's falls #4(90?or w/e) that needs some TLC, and a hack knife/chisel thing from LV that arrived disappointingly out of square. Probably some other chisels that could use a sharpening, but this week, and the last couple, the main focus has been on getting the garden set for the season and coddling expectant mother rabbits.

They will only smoke if you let them. Properly built and maintained cars, evens 1970s Datsuns, don't smoke :). This is the fourth Z I've worked on and I've never had one that smoked. The most common problem is the valve seals dry out, allowing oil to burn in the cylinders. This is very easy to fix. And I'll take my inline 6 over a Ford 5.0 any day. The inline is WAY cooler and plenty fast for street driving. The Nissan inline 6 is honestly one of the best designs of the last 50 years. And I pretty much eschew "modern technology" wherever I can. For example, on my '79, I got rid of the Bosch fuel injection and installed SU carbs... and back on topic, you may know my feelings on modern woodworking tools.

Anyways... :) I probably need to get my head out of the garage and back in the woodshop. If I don't get out there soon, I might forget how to cut dovetails!!! Ha!!

Jim Koepke
06-01-2013, 2:22 AM
Just got a bench off of my bench. A potting bench, not a woodworking bench.

Hope to remember to take a picture or two before hauling it off to the farmers market in the morning. Would be a shame if it sold and not having any images. Guess I could take a picture of the money to prove it happened.

jtk

Jim Koepke
06-01-2013, 7:14 PM
Well at least I took a picture before tying down the truck this morning.

The man & woman who bought it took some pictures she was going to email to me. She was having some trouble.

Now I have to make another.

When I told my wife how much I was going to ask for the bench, she thought that was a lot. So a little on line searching has Walmart with a potting bench listed for $529.

I told people I was asking $200 but if they like I would match Walmart's price. Most of them said mine looked to be better made.

jtk

Chris Griggs
06-02-2013, 3:55 PM
Cool stuff Jim. Excellent that you were able to sell it for what you were asking!

Well at least I took a picture before tying down the truck this morning.

The man & woman who bought it took some pictures she was going to email to me. She was having some trouble.

Now I have to make another.

When I told my wife how much I was going to ask for the bench, she thought that was a lot. So a little on line searching has Walmart with a potting bench listed for $529.

I told people I was asking $200 but if they like I would match Walmart's price. Most of them said mine looked to be better made.

jtk

Chris Griggs
06-02-2013, 3:58 PM
...and on my bench today....

No kitty....there are sharp things on that bench!

Jim Koepke
06-02-2013, 6:14 PM

Reminds me of going into my shop last week and wondering how a few things ended up on the floor.

Then I realized the cat was locked in the shop the night before.

jtk

Tony Shea
06-02-2013, 6:35 PM
...and on my bench today....

That is awesome Chris. I admit my manly fascination with cats. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but still have a scar from losing my last dog to cancer. I have yet to get another.
But at the moment have a few cats and wouldn't trade them for the world. One of them is a shop kitty through and through and spends her time inspecting my joinery for gaps. They certainly are very cool animals.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-02-2013, 7:05 PM
We have a younger cat who, particularly when he wants attention, loves to knock things off of tables, desks, counters, etc. (we've lost more than one drinking glass/mug to him). I've found a few screwdrivers and a marking gauge on the floor after he's made his way into the shop. I remember to close the door or keep the chisels off the bench when I'm not around now, lest he hurt himself or damage an edge. . .

Joe A Faulkner
06-02-2013, 10:38 PM
My 12 year old is in third year 4H woodworking.. He is building a keepsake box - Maple and Walnut with a walnut tray. My 10 year old is in 1st Year 4H Woodworking and is building a cherry tissue box. The lid is a bit spalted - just a little to make it interesting.

Both projects are in progress. The tissue box lid has yet to be glued to the box; hopefully once done, it will be a little more square than the picture.

In both cases, they are expected to use butt joints at this stage of their craft. So please excuse the exposed end graind. Nails and screws are encouraged means of joining pieces. The screws in the keep sake box are counter sunk and will be plugged. The plan is to plug all holes with walnut, so there will be a little contrast on the sides of the box. The dowels used to "hinge" the lid will be countersunk as well, and walnut plugs used there as well.

About 4 weeks until their projects are due for judging. 4H teaches them to meet deadlines, and to deal with feedback, both good and bad on their workmanship.

In addition to these two little projects, I have 60 foot of 4/4 locally grown, sawn and kiln dried red oak that will be going into a bookshelf for a friends daughter's bedroom. The idea is to build the bookshelf with him.

Tom Scott
06-03-2013, 2:02 PM
Actually, most of my work is off the bench right now. I'm working on a large (42" wide x 9' long) dining table that is way too big to fit on the bench, so my table saw is getting use for the flattening process. What is (or was yesterday) on the bench were some more manageable 8x8 sections that have been ripped down for legs. All the wood is a very dense pine from a salvage project...extremely nasty stuff to plane.