PDA

View Full Version : Leaf ID #5

Doug Herzberg
05-24-2013, 12:44 PM
See Leaf ID #1 for the story. This is another one I couldn't find in Hough. I need a tree book, not just a wood book. Anyone recognize it? Good for turning?

Robert Henrickson
05-24-2013, 1:53 PM
A cherry of some sort. The trees along the back fence of my parents' lot had trees with leaves and flowers like this. It was often referred to as 'chokecherry' here in central Kentucky, also "wild cherry".

Al Wasser
05-24-2013, 2:10 PM
You need to shell out a few $ for a book. Something like the "trees of Iowa". A quick look at Amazon shows several that might be what you want.

Doug Herzberg
05-24-2013, 2:34 PM
You need to shell out a few $ for a book. Something like the "trees of Iowa". A quick look at Amazon shows several that might be what you want.

Al, I had planned to buy a regional book. Didn't occur to me to look for one specific to Iowa. Thanks for doing the search. I ordered what looks like a good one and will report if I learn anything.

robert baccus
05-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Doug, this is a good one for the US. "The Book Of Trees" by William Carey Grimm. Check with your county agent or state forest service also. They often have free booklets. Old Forester