PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about the Honda WB15 pump?

Matt Meiser
05-24-2013, 9:17 AM
I'm putting together a watering system that would go in the back of our Kawasaki Mule for watering stuff too far from house for hoses. I had picked up a little 12V pump which I could still return, but just came across a good deal on a Honda WB15 pump. I can't find a lot about it other than a really bad manual (on Honda's site) and parts sources. Anyone know about this pump? If I adapt down to garden hose, will I starve or overload this thing? Can it develop enough pressure to run a sprinkler if desired? Will putting a nozzle on the outlet hose be a problem since there wouldn't be anywhere for outlet water to go?

Or should I just stick with the 12V pump?

Steve Rozmiarek
05-25-2013, 7:20 AM
Matt, its a centrifical pump,so you can completely stop the outflow and not hurt anything. Just dont run it dry, it will kill the seals,and it will do what you want very well. Muc meore powerful than a 12volt pump.

Jerry Bruette
05-25-2013, 9:11 PM
I wouldn't dead head it for too long, it causes heat build up and it could cook the seals.

Matt Meiser
05-25-2013, 10:41 PM
I went ahead and picked it up for $50. It badly needs an oil change, new gas, and probably a spark plug. Works well, but while testing it I noticed when there's no flow it leaks from where someone JB Welded the outlet which I didn't notice until then. The outlet is $3 more than I paid for the pump so I'm thinking of grinding off where it leaks and adding some more--can't hurt. Might be able to have a friend with a TIG weld it too.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't figure out a way to plumb a return line to the tank so we can leave the pump running, throttled down, while moving location to location. I've also been thinking I'd use this when burning scrap for fire protection. I would be good to have it ready-to-spray if needed for that use.

Pressure seems fair but a little lower than I'd hoped. Hoping that is mostly due to a a leak in my inlet plumbing which was sucking a lot of air (I could see it in the intake hose so its not the pump's fault) but I didn't have time to fix it tonight.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-27-2013, 1:36 AM
Matt, it should have pretty good pressure, air in the suction will kill the flow though. We use dozens of these types of pumps, and they all make 40-60 psi generally when the outflow is restricted.

Matt Meiser
05-27-2013, 9:03 AM
I'll have to get that pluming leak fixed. I found someone with water outlets on Ebay for $50-something OBO. Offered $32 and have one on the way.

Matt Meiser
05-29-2013, 1:41 PM
I found the inlet leak which was just a fitting I'd only finger tightened--oops! After that it works great--just like a hose hooked to a spigot, except of course it runs out after 35 gallons.

The water neck on the thing was cracked all the way through and fixed with JBWeld which eventually just opened up after 15 minutes or so of use. Good thing I ordered another. I'd bet the seller knew, but even with an oil and spark plug change and that part, I'm still under $100 for the thing so I'm happy. A new WX15 is $530 and a WX10 is $430. Even the little electric I just returned was $80. I cleaned it up a little and its a quite nice little pump. Starts on the first, easy pull too.

I think I can even use this with the pressure washer which actually uses very little water.

So, a couple more questions:

If I just add some plumbing and a valve to recirculate the water from the outlet, through a hose, back to where my inlet hose attaches to the manifold at the tank and just recirculate the water in the plumbing, maybe a gallon or so, is that enough that dead-heading won't overheat the seals for a good while? Or should I recirculate back into the tank? I'd probably bring it to low idle too.

Can I run lawn chemicals through the pump? I don't usually spray anything, but if I wanted to it would be good to know. Obvious concern there is getting things flushed for watering purposes so we don't kill plants.

Any suggestions on sources for 1-1/2" suction and discharge hoses other than TSC? I'd like to get some to have on hand for future needs.

Jerry Bruette
05-29-2013, 5:38 PM
If you recirc back to the tank and keep a sensible level in the tank you shouldn't have any worries of overheating the seals.
According to the website I checked your pump is capable of 53gpm, even with a 35gal. tank that's full you'd be recircing the whole tank 1.5 times a minute.