PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing problem

peter leyden
05-23-2013, 10:59 PM
I have a beautiful solid (?) cherry coffee table with 2 large (6") areas where the finish has been removed by water leaking from flower pots placed on the table.
Is there a way to refinish the 2 bare areas without stripping the entire table top. If I strip the finish I'm afraid I won't be able to blend the damaged areas with the undamaged area.If I leave the original finish I'm still faced with the problem of matching the original finish on the damaged areas . Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated!

John Coloccia
05-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Post pictures and describe the finish that is on there currently. At a minimum, post pictures.

Howard Acheson
05-24-2013, 12:28 PM
I suggest you repost this on the "Project Finishing" forum. The finishers hang out there

peter leyden
05-26-2013, 1:08 AM
Post pictures and describe the finish that is on there currently. At a minimum, post pictures.
The original finish is lacquer with a soft sheen The damaged area still has lacquer but the finish has discolored and is now yellowish .There is also crazing in the finish in that area.
I still haven't figured how to load pictures to the website, but I can email pictures to you if that is ok. Let me know.
Pete Leyden (p_leyden@hotmail.com)

Jim Matthews
05-26-2013, 10:18 AM
If the lacquer is pre-catalyzed, the following product will not work -

Blush Eraser spray (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17653)
I have used it on "glass rings" left by cold drinks that had condensate on the bottom.

If the finish has been worn off, a little surface oiling is in order.

If the finish was a sprayed catalyzed lacquer, I don't know what works.

As mentioned above by the experienced hands, photos would really help.

johnny means
05-26-2013, 11:33 AM
On a side note, Sawmill Creeks' smart phone app is the easiest way to post pics. It allows you to snap a pic during the posting process as opposed to learning how to upload, download, sideload, input, output, copy, convert, import, export, or juggle files. It's free too.