PDA

View Full Version : Fluting / Incising Jig

Dick Mahany
05-23-2013, 8:08 PM
I needed a break after an OD in pen turning, so decided to do some .....wait for it.....flatwork ! :eek: I decided that I wanted to try incising and fluting on the lathe, so a quick Sketchup session and some plywood / hardwood provided the fix. Now it's time to go turn some more :D.

I'd like to acknowledge the works of John Terefenco and Harvey Fein among others for their excellent ideas that provided much of the catalyst to get me going in this direction.

Richard Madden
05-23-2013, 8:40 PM
Looks very ingenious and I can see it does a good job. If it works as well as that threading jig you showed a few years ago, you might want patent this one! Thanks for sharing.

John Terefenko
05-23-2013, 9:26 PM
Looks familar. How are you controlling the depth???

Dick Mahany
05-23-2013, 9:43 PM
Looks familar. How are you controlling the depth???

John,

I saw your jig on IAP a while back. Yours was so well done and was one of four jigs that I took inspirations from. To control the depth I have two options. The simplest is to use the follower that surrounds the bit and set the bit protrusion with a caliper. The second is to use a simple fence along the side of the auxiliary table without the follower.

Looking at the great pen work you have done and also the beautiful incising work of Harvey Fein, I needed to give those techniques a try. Many thanks.

John Terefenko
05-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks Dick. That should do the trick. There is just so much you can do with it and hopefully we get to see some of that beautiful work of yours. It looks well built.