PDA

View Full Version : I Should Have Known Better!

Dominic Carpenter
05-23-2013, 7:24 PM
I was trying to get a picture frame done before the busy weekend and now wish I would have listened to my little voice inside about putting curly maple through my planer. Thin cut strip inlayed proud in Sapele. No surprise. Should have used my hand plane to flush it up.

Bruce Page
05-23-2013, 9:25 PM
Ouch! That's gotta get the blood pressure up!

Jim Matthews
05-24-2013, 6:25 AM
Can it be salvaged with inlay (to the inlay) or must you route out the entire strip?

Mike Null
05-24-2013, 6:28 AM
Well, you have made a mess of it. I think I would have used a scraper. What is it they say? DAMHIK:eek:

Jeff Monson
05-24-2013, 8:46 AM
Yep, curly maple and planers just don't get along. Looks to be a pretty easy fix though, spiral bit on the router table and you will be inlaying again in no time.

Andy Pratt
05-25-2013, 10:49 AM
I see a spiral cutterhead in your future.

Rick Markham
05-25-2013, 5:56 PM
Someone needs a drum sander, or a wide belt sander... quick go show SWAMBO! This was completely preventable with more heavy machinery :D;)

Mike Heidrick
05-25-2013, 6:59 PM
Did you do it multiple times LOL?

jim gossage
05-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I doubt that would have occurred with a spiral cutterhead. I never ever get tearout with mine, no matter how figured the wood or the direction of feed.

Don Morris
05-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Ditto to the Byrd shelix observation. I haven't done huge amounts, but the highly figured stuff I have done has never done that. I'd always take light passes though anyway, even with a spiral cutterhead. Actually, always take light passes with any cutterhead, with highly figured wood.

Carl Beckett
05-26-2013, 6:22 AM
And not claiming to be highly skilled, but I have had plenty of chipout with a hand plane as well. Personally I went the drum sander route (more recently a widebelt), and put almost everything through it when dimensioning for a final pass.

John Piwaron
05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I vote for a thickness sander for that work.

OTOH, I'm always willing to try alternates, perhaps a thicker inlay would help. Assuming there's enough material available for that.

keith micinski
05-26-2013, 8:31 PM
Another for a 16/32 sander. I have a spiral head in my planer but would have went to the sander for flushing that strip up. Completely agree with Rick, anytime you have a problem with tooling it should be a free pass to get a new one to do the job better.

Julie Moriarty
05-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Why do I want to cry? :(

Michael Dunn
05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Why do I want to cry? :(

Same here. Very sad.

Chalk this up as a learning experience. Thanx for the tip! Now I know what not to do. Not trying to rub it in...

Rick Fisher
05-27-2013, 12:23 AM
I would have put it through a sander .. then scraped it if the figured maple took on a stain from the sapelli ..

I feel your pain.. I do stuff like that all the time.

Alan Lightstone
05-27-2013, 9:07 AM
Yeah, 16/32 sander, +/- scraping afterwards.

Been there, done that.

Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man.
- J. Robert Oppenheimer , speaking of Albert Einstein

If someone responds to this thread in 10 years, take a bow.

or:

As my hero Homer Simpson said, “Quit blaming yourself, Marge. Just do it once and get it over with.”

or:

Any fool can learn by his own mistakes, but a wise man lets the snake bite the other fellow!

Dominic Carpenter
05-28-2013, 9:09 AM
Since original post I have routed out the messed up inlay and glued in new one. I used a hand scraper to flush it up with the sapele this time. Frame is now waiting for some Waterlox. On the road this week, will post pics when I return. I was taking very light passes with a straight knife planer. Like I said I knew better, but I I thought light passes would be faster than hand scraping since I was a little prouder than I had hoped. I train feed my material through the planer to reduce snip. All went well with the first pass. Not so much with the second. The time I thought I would save cost me more. In the end the frame looks great. Another learning experience.