PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy good quality leaf hinges

Darrick Robbins
05-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey everyone. I am building a set of built in cabinets in my basement and am trying to make inset doors (my first attempt). I would like to find some good quality hinges (extruded brass) with not too much gap between the leaves. I bought a pair at a woodworkers supply place locally and they have 3/32" gap between the leaves. I don't want to have that much gap all the way around the door so I am looking for some with a little bit narrower gaps. Any ideas? These hinges I got were $10 a pair :eek: so they are supposed to be the good ones. Thanks
Darrick

Steve Beadle
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Are you setting the hinges in shallow mortises? That will bring the hinged side of the door closer to the cabinet. Of course, if you already have the doors sized too small for the opening, you'll have to go to Plan B. Perhaps I am not understanding something quite right.

Darrick Robbins
05-18-2005, 1:59 PM
Steve,

I haven't even cut the mortises yet but if I cut them exactly the same depth as the hinge stock the door and the jamb will be 3/32" apart. I would like to have a consistent gap all the way around and that seems like a little much to me. Thanks.
Darrick

Steve Beadle
05-18-2005, 6:24 PM
Steve,

I haven't even cut the mortises yet but if I cut them exactly the same depth as the hinge stock the door and the jamb will be 3/32" apart. I would like to have a consistent gap all the way around and that seems like a little much to me. Thanks.
Darrick
I haven't thought this idea through completely, but what if you made the mortises a trifle deeper--that is, deeper than the thickness of the hinge? Only the barrel of the hinge is going to show, and if the top and bottom of the barrel project slightly, perhaps they will cover up the notch of the mortise?
Are the hinge leaves the same thickness throughout, or tapered from the hinge outward to the edge?

Doug Shepard
05-18-2005, 9:26 PM
Lee Valley's website is definitely worth looking at to see if they have what you're after. I've used some of their brass hardware and have been real happy with the quality. I think they've got more than one price line though, so look close.

Darrick Robbins
05-19-2005, 8:28 AM
Thanks guys! Steve, you are right, I could just make the mortises deeper but I was hoping I could find some hinges with a little less gap. Time to check Lee Valley!

Darrick