PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Glenn Bradley

Gary Muto
05-22-2013, 9:33 PM
Congrats Glenn,
I see (read) that you published a tip in Woodsmith Magazine. A great way to ratio finishes!

I saw a tip from Bill Huber just ahead of yours. Bill got his thread but I didn't see one for you. It's great to see you published and I enjoy your contributions here as well.

Congrats to Bill too!
Bill sent me plans for a children's table and chairs that I'm using. The table is done but the chairs are in the assembly phase... A move to Colorado kind of delayed things.

Best to you both

Bruce Page
05-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Congrats Glenn!

David Nelson1
05-23-2013, 6:15 AM
Congrats as well! Now I gotta go back and look for it.

Troy Turner
05-23-2013, 8:43 AM
It's always cool to see some familiar names in magazines like that. Congrats to both!!!

Prashun Patel
05-23-2013, 8:50 AM
congrats! Happy for you, Glen!

glenn bradley
05-23-2013, 8:58 AM
Thanks guys. I primarily use my own blends and just had one of those "ah-ha" moments when re-doing a previous mix from my notes. This makes finish re-creation in different volumes a snap. Really handy for making "just a little more" of something.

Chris Padilla
05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Repeat the tip for those of us who don't get the magazine. Oh, and congratulations! :)

glenn bradley
05-23-2013, 1:47 PM
Repeat the tip for those of us who don't get the magazine. Oh, and congratulations! :)

Doh! Sorry guys . . . Like a lot of things it is really simple.

I take a piece of scrap that is longer than a jar is tall. You need to be able to see through the container.

Take a ruler and make marks on the scrap at equal distances. The number of marks will vary with your ratio to be mixed.

-- In the example I use 5 marks at 1" intervals and will mix a 2:2:1 ratio of ingredients. The ratios and ingredients will vary with your needs.

Drop the stick in the jar and pour in BLO to the first level you are after. In this case the second mark.

Add varnish to the second level you are after. In this case the fourth mark.

Add mineral spirits to the last level you are after. In this case the fifth mark.

This yields a two parts BLO, two parts varnish and one part mineral spirits blend for a penetrating oil/varnish finish.

262905 . 262906

The photo is from a 1:1:1 mix. Once all the ingredients are in you can use the stick to stir / re-stir them as you work. Toss it when you're done.

Ah, I found the original sketch I sent in . . .

Bruce Page
05-23-2013, 2:34 PM
That is a great way to the measure ingredients! It sure takes the guess work out of it. (which has always been my method)

Thanks!

Chris Padilla
05-23-2013, 6:18 PM
Nice, I guess I do similar but I mark the jar with a Sharpie at regular intervals. :)

scott spencer
05-23-2013, 6:54 PM
Way to go Glenn!