PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas What's Wrong?

Tom Winship
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Went out this morning to turn on my Jet 1642EVS-2 and nothing happened. The RPM light and the light on the back of the inverter are both illuminated. Reset breaksr, switched power on and off several times, and turned the speed control and switched the F/R switch several times.

Haven't used the lathe in a couple of week. Lathe is only a little over a year old.

Any ideas before I call the service center?

Roger Chandler
05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Try unplugging the lathe for an hour or so, and then plug back in........the inverter may need to cool and reset itself...........just an idea........

Tom Winship
05-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks Roger, will do and will report back.

John M. Smith
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Look on inverter for a reset button. May have tripped somehow.

Dave Mueller
05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Tom,
Also adjust your speed potentiometer knob and see if the number on the controller changes. Most will default the display to the speed control knob setting. If that works, it may be your switch. If not, then it could be your speed pot. Come to lunch today and we can talk about it.
Dave

John Keeton
05-22-2013, 12:21 PM
It may well be just dust in the switch contacts. I sometimes have to blow mine out with air to get the switch to operate correctly.

kevin nee
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM
The on / off switch on my Powermatic quit. The techs at WMT were very helpful on how to check it. Good luck!

Tom Winship
05-22-2013, 1:51 PM
Try unplugging the lathe for an hour or so, and then plug back in........the inverter may need to cool and reset itself...........just an idea........

Okay, Roger wins the prize! Unplugged it, went to town to run a couple of errands, plugged it in and ..........voila!!!

Not bad for a guy who bleeds green.

Reed Gray
05-22-2013, 1:59 PM
I had that problem with my Robust once. Even tried unplugging it. Didn't work. I called Brent, and he said, "I know you are a very experienced turner, but is the spindle lock all the way off"? Well, it wasn't all the way down, just 98% down. The Robust is electronically set up so that the lathe won't start up if the spindle lock is at all engaged. Not sure about the Jet/PM lathes.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
05-22-2013, 2:20 PM
Okay, Roger wins the prize! Unplugged it, went to town to run a couple of errands, plugged it in and ..........voila!!!

Not bad for a guy who bleeds green.

Well.......I had a feeling that would work, Tom.....:D.....sometimes we make things harder than they are! :rolleyes: You did get some good advice about keeping the dust blown out of your switches! ;)

Jim Burr
05-22-2013, 8:19 PM
Now have your inverter checked Tom...they shouldn't have to cool down. That lathe is make to stay plugged in and run.

Jeffrey J Smith
05-22-2013, 9:53 PM
I had the same problem with my Jet 1642. There's a reset button on back of the VFD. That solved the problem without having to unplug and go run a few errands. I was advised not to push the other button. Never did discover what the source of the problem was, but it did seem to happen more often when I was putting a heavy load on the lathe - mostly coring. It was always a bit of a chore with the 1-1/2hp version.
Ultimately, I sold it and bought a 3hp Robust AB. The problem seems to have been rectified nicely.

steve worcester
05-24-2013, 6:56 PM

It was likely that it was a power surge that tripped the inverter. Many of them today don't have a reset other than unplugging for a few minutes