PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on the Veritas shooting board plane?

Scott Stafford
05-22-2013, 11:25 AM
I thought it best to check to see if anyone has heard of any progress on the Veritas shooting board plane. Timeline? Features? I'm ready to buy a Lie-Nielsen 51 but thought it best to see what anyone had read or heard lately of the unofficially announced Veritas. I might be able to wait........... might.

Thanks in advance,

Scott in Montana

Jim Koepke
05-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Searching the old threads on this > shooting plane rob lee < I see nothing offering a timeline for expected delivery for this product. All of the threads were not read. I seem to recall something said about it being projected for late this year. That could be totally my imagination.

Do you have a lot of work requiring a shooting plane?

The comments from what was searched suggest it will be sold without the shooting base (equivalent to the Stanley #52).

Before the LN #51 reproduction came on the scene my solution was to buy the LN #62 with a hot dog. I have been happy ever since.

jtk

David Weaver
05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
They're probably too busy watching the senators right now to move anything along. It seems like every time around this year, it comes down to good (penguins) vs. evil (senators).

OK, I say that in jest. Evil is really the capitals and the flyers and their respective fans.

Scott Stafford
05-22-2013, 3:00 PM
I use my shooting boards a lot. I am currently using a Veritas low angle jack plane and have few complaints. I think I'm wanting a more comfortable grip and more inertia from a bit more mass. And maybe more honestly I'm wanting a new toy. Boys will be boys....

Scott in Montana

Chris Griggs
05-22-2013, 3:07 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. IIRC that last time Rob talked about it he couldn't give an estimated date or say much of anything about it, which usually means its still in prototyping. I could be totally off, but I'd venture to guess its still a good year away (total guess though) As always, they have a number of things in the works and while I have no idea where this thing is in the queue, my guess is that if some other projects are ahead of it it's going to be a while.

Rob checks in here fairly regularly. He'll probably pop by to give you some information, even if its only to say he can't give a date and its going to be a while. Then again, he may say it coming soon, you never no with them, they can move pretty fast on things sometimes.

Jim Koepke
05-22-2013, 3:12 PM
I use my shooting boards a lot. I am currently using a Veritas low angle jack plane and have few complaints. I think I'm wanting a more comfortable grip and more inertia from a bit more mass. And maybe more honestly I'm wanting a new toy. Boys will be boys....

Scott in Montana

Wanting new toys is the best reason if the wife allows.

Have you tried making a 'hot dog' grip for your plane?

Derek Cohen has the making of one listed on his site, inthewoodshop.com

jtk

roger m lance
05-22-2013, 4:09 PM
Rob Lee mentioned September for a possible unveiling on another forum.....but this could just be the prototype and not the ready to be manufactured item.

glenn bradley
05-22-2013, 5:51 PM

Scott in Montana

Shop made hot dog changed my comfort and confidence levels with my LV LAJ.

262867 . 262866

Scott Stafford
05-22-2013, 8:30 PM
I made a hot dog grip for my Veritas plane, and you're right it was much better. But then I tried a LN #51 at a trade show when they first came out. I remember it being a significant difference. Could have been the weight, could have been the skewed blade, could have been the hand position; most likely it was all of it together.

Anyhow.......... here I sat looking at Craftsman's Studio website. Called Bill at Craftsman's Studio, who always gives such great service, and wouldn't you know it... he even had the cocobolo knob and tote in stock.

I caved in. I couldn't help myself.

It should be here Friday.

Thanks for all the input.

Scott in Montana

Scott Stafford
05-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Did I say knob and tote? No knob..... sheesh!

Scott in Montana

roger m lance
05-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Congratulations Scott !!.....I too am desiring a 51 but am waiting on LV to, at least, show their hand.....the LN 51 will be hard to beat and sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. Please show some pics and impressions after you get your plane.

Rob Lee
05-23-2013, 5:44 AM
Hi,

The castings just arrived this week, and we start cutting metal soon. Deciding to make a LH version delayed us a bit, but still on track for Sept. delivery.

Do have another plane in production right now.. But will wait for some else to post details first....don't want to ruin any surprises for those attending Handworks in Amana......... ;)

Cheers,

Rob

Chris Griggs
05-23-2013, 6:09 AM
Hi,

The castings just arrived this week, and we start cutting metal soon. Deciding to make a LH version delayed us a bit, but still on track for Sept. delivery.

Do have another plane in production right now.. But will wait for some else to post details first....don't want to ruin any surprises for those attending Handworks in Amana......... ;)

Cheers,

Rob

Excellent!

Scott Stafford
05-23-2013, 9:40 AM
Well, at least I won't take much of a beating if I decide to sell the LN #51 and buy the Veritas plane. That's the nice thing about buying from either of these high quality manufacturers.

I wouldn't have been able to hold out until September anyhow. I would have squandered the money by then. Again........... boys will be boys!

Thanks for all the input.

Scott in Montana

PS New plane from Veritas????!!!!!! I better start saving.

Rob Lee
05-23-2013, 10:07 AM
(Snip)

PS New plane from Veritas????!!!!!! I better start saving.

Shouldn't take long to save, I believe this one is around $100 .....

I believe there are seven more after that though.....:eek:

Cheers,

Rob
(Hangin' at O'Hare....)

Eugenio Musto
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Cheers,

Rob
(Hangin' at O'Hare....)

Ok,we know that regarding chisel there will be mortice chisels,regarding sawing there will be a tenon saw.Regarding planing...mmm,100$...ok I try to hit it,some kind of metal moulding plane and there will be many size available with different sole radius?

george wilson
05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Eugenio,the last part of your post,about molding planes,is totally beyond my comprehension. There are no molding planes being discussed. I wish I was in Italy again!!

David Weaver
05-23-2013, 11:50 AM
I might be imagining things (which happens all the time, I guess), but I think Rob may have mentioned some sort of moulding plane or moulding tool somewhere on the horizon.

I doubt the $100 plane will be a swappable moulder, though.

Chris Griggs
05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't recall Rob ever mentioning one. I think Eugine was just taking a guess at what the $100 mystery plane might be. I'm pretty stumped by that actually.

David Weaver
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Chalk it under the imagining things, then. It happens often.

Chuck Nickerson
05-23-2013, 1:17 PM
Deciding to make a LH version delayed us a bit
Rob

I'm right-handed but the LH version is nice for shooting long-grain edges.
(Yes I have a lot of planes, so shoot me.)

David Weaver
05-23-2013, 1:33 PM
so shoot me.)

As in bang bang, or ...this is a thread about a shoot board, plane. Maybe you mean someone should lay you over somewhere and shave some off?

If LV made a people shooting plane, that would be very soylent green.

Eugenio Musto
05-23-2013, 2:42 PM
Eugenio,the last part of your post,about molding planes,is totally beyond my comprehension. There are no molding planes being discussed. I wish I was in Italy again!!

I simply try to hit which kind of new plane Rob is speaking about.

Jim Neeley
05-23-2013, 3:28 PM

Cheers,

Rob
(Hangin' at O'Hare....)

Hey Rob,

When are you going to accept direct payroll deposit for non-employees? <g>

Jim in Alaska

Scott Stafford
05-23-2013, 5:22 PM
I've got to divorce my wife!

I can't afford to support both her and Rob Lee on my salary.

Scott in Montana

David Weaver
05-23-2013, 5:23 PM
Rob's going to need a pick-me-up after the current hockey series is over, so you'd better plan on spending a little extra on him, too. Tell the wife she'll have to rough it for a while.

John Sanford
05-23-2013, 6:11 PM

Cheers,

Rob :eek: Ohhh, that's just eeeevil. :D

I figured y'all were going to be announcing something at Handworks. I just hope I'm not missing out on some good discounts, between the remaining (as of right now) 3 planes and some chisels on my want list, I've still got a handful of Benjamins to throw your way.

Scott Stafford
05-24-2013, 9:08 PM
Congratulations Scott !!.....I too am desiring a 51 but am waiting on LV to, at least, show their hand.....the LN 51 will be hard to beat and sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. Please show some pics and impressions after you get your plane.

Sadly I only had time to open the box. Won't get to a chance to tune the blade and try it until tomorrow. It's torture.

Scott in Montana

Chris Griggs
05-24-2013, 9:18 PM
Purdy!!!!!

Bob Jones
05-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Deciding to make a LH version delayed us a bit

Rob

stink. There goes that excuse for not buying. I love LH stuff!

Tony Shea
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Sadly I only had time to open the box. Won't get to a chance to tune the blade and try it until tomorrow. It's torture.

Scott in Montana

It's a no wonder the price tag on this beauty. There must be close to 8 man hours in packing that thing up.

I personally would love to own this plane but it's just too far outta my price range for such a dedicated tool.

Brent VanFossen
05-25-2013, 3:50 AM
I tried the LN 51 at the last hand tool event. That's one heavy and fine tool.

george wilson
05-25-2013, 7:49 AM
It DO look nice!! Just for fun,I'd like to make a shooting plane and board out of some of the 1/2" bronze plate I have been sitting on for decades. It is a deep gold color,and tough as blazes (salt water resistant Navy roll) I have no use for such a rig,though,but it would be cool. Just energy keeps things from happening.

Peter Pedisich
05-25-2013, 8:33 AM
It DO look nice!! Just for fun,I'd like to make a shooting plane and board out of some of the 1/2" bronze plate I have been sitting on for decades. It is a deep gold color,and tough as blazes (salt water resistant Navy roll) I have no use for such a rig,though,but it would be cool. Just energy keeps things from happening.

George, as my wife says, I don't know much... but one thing I do know is "if you build it, they will come" You could sell that thing for $$$$ for sure. -Pete

Kurt Cady
05-25-2013, 9:30 AM
H

Cheers,

Rob

Who can tell us what this is?!

Peter Pedisich
05-25-2013, 9:57 AM
Who can tell us what this is?!

Over on WoodNET there is a pic of a Veritas Chisel Plane.

Kurt Cady
05-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Over on WoodNET there is a pic of a Veritas Chisel Plane.
yeah but there are going to be 7 more?!

Brad Simmons
05-25-2013, 9:44 PM
The $99 plane is a chisel plane. I handled a 3D printed prototype of the shooting board plane at Amana. Pretty sweet. I think they said it would be in the $300 range.

Mark Dorman
05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
The 3d prototype shooting plane was cool. it had a couple set screws in the bottom to help dial in true 90.
It was neat meeting Rob Lee in person too.

Dave Halter
05-25-2013, 11:35 PM
The shooting board plane prototype was nice. It also features an adjustable angle handle. There were a other small tools that were introduced at Handworks. Rob showed me two awls with replaceable tips and said they had some more items in the works.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Cheers,

Rob

So Handworks is come and gone - anyone got any pictures or info on what LV had to share?

David Weaver
05-28-2013, 8:50 AM
The $99 plane is a chisel plane. I handled a 3D printed prototype of the shooting board plane at Amana. Pretty sweet. I think they said it would be in the $300 range.

Not that I have need for such a thing (or would even buy it given the lack of need), but that's a welcome relief from the $500 stanley and stanley style planes that are out there.

Hilton Ralphs
05-29-2013, 6:56 AM
Have you tried making a 'hot dog' grip for your plane?

I've looked at Derek's site but I still don't see how it attaches to the plane body. Do you tap a hole in the side or what?

Thanks.

Jim Koepke
05-29-2013, 1:29 PM
I've looked at Derek's site but I still don't see how it attaches to the plane body. Do you tap a hole in the side or what?

Thanks.

In his second build he taps a hole before cutting the shape. There is a set screw in the side of the hot dog to hold it in place. Not sure if it might be a nylon, or other plastic, set screw.

Here is my journey through making a hot dog to use with a plane on a shooting board:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?130114-Shooting-Board-Plane&p=1315201#post1315201

This handle doesn't have any attachment hardware. It stays in place well throughout usage and then just slips off for storage. One minor problem with a fixed hot dog is it is sometimes inconvenient when the plane needs to be used for some other task.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
05-30-2013, 9:11 AM
Thanks Jim, I will look at this.

Derek Cohen
05-30-2013, 11:06 AM
The Veritas/LV shooting plane promises to become the leader. I first saw the plastic model in January at the factory, possibly the same one that was at the show. A significant advantage over the LN #51 is that the Veritas is a BU design with a low bed, thus achieving a lower cutting angle.

All that aside, my intention was to comment on a hotdog handle for the LV LA Jack. I designed and built two versions some years ago. The first version was solid wood made with hand tools. The second was laminated and machine-made, more precisely fitted and attached. These are on my website. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Building%20the%20Hotdog%20Mk%20II%20for%20the%20LV %20LA%20Jack%20pics.html

The point I wanted to make is that they are unnecessary. If you use the correct hand hold with the LV LA Jack then it is easier to push and more controllable than with a hotdog.

I wrote up a comparison of the LN #51, LV LA Jack and the LN #9 shooting planes on both ramped and vertical shooting boards. Go to my website for the full article. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ShootingPlanesCompared.html Below is an excerpt that explains what to do ...

The Ease of Use

The #51/52 combination was in a class of its own. Even a novice could easily produce clean edges without fail. The #51 is captured by the rails of the #52, and this guides the plane so that all the user needs do is push the plane forward.

The advantage of the #9 over the LAJ is twofold: there is better registration for the base of the plane, and this encourages a user to push the plane in the ideal manner. When a novice was given the choice of the #9 and the LAJ, they would inevitably plump for the #9. However … when the user was taught how to push the LAJ, and/or the LAJ was used with a hotdog handle, very frequently this choice was reversed. The factor here is that the LAJ is potentially more tippy because it has a smaller footprint, it. I recall one person thrusting the LAJ forward .. and bouncing it against the fence at a canted angle.

The correct way (in my opinion) of holding the LAJ (and shooting planes generally), is to exert downforce at a central point while simultaneously exerting low lateral sideforce. One must not attempt to simply push the plane against the sidewall to the shooting board. This will unbalance the plane and cause it to cant over.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ShootingPlanesCompared_html_309f013.jpg

Downforce is applied by the thumb directly into the dimpled fingerhole. Sideforce is applied by the four fingertips pushing from under the levercap.

This handhold is quite comfortable and makes the LAJ a practical user without a hotdog. Indeed, there is the potential for someone to grasp a hotdog (whether on the LV or LN LAJ planes) and attempt to push it against the fence from high (and not use their fingers to maintain sideways pressure from low).

Contributing to “tippiness” is the amount of “run up” to the board that is used. Many – both experienced and novices alike – would draw the plane back to the start of the runway, and then push it forward fast in an attempt to create momentum, as if this was necessary to power through the end grain. Shooting in this manner would lead to user losing control of the plane.

What is necessary for control is minimum run up. Place the plane with the blade nearly touching the near edge of the board, and then simply push the plane forward, with even pressure and firmly. Since the shaving removed is very fine, a plane with a sharp blade will cut without much effort. Once this was understood, the extra mass of the LAJ was an advantage over the more stable #9.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hilton Ralphs
05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks Derek.

I am thinking of using an old Stanley #6 for this. Should I just glue a piece of rubber onto the side of the plane to give a better grip?

Alternatively I also have a Veritas LA Smoother with all three blades (50, 38 and 25).

Jim Koepke
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Hilton,

My plane of choice for shooting board use was an old #6. The link in my previous post shows my progression in making a comfortable grip for its use.

Shortly after that an LN #62 was purchased to be my shooting plane because of an old shoulder injury. The low angle of attack helps to keep my shoulder's pain level down.

Occasionally the #6 still gets used if a piece needs shooting that is too wide fort he 2" blade of the #62.

The biggest stumbling block to any plane on a shooting board is the practice of using staples in the end of lumber to attach the UPC labels.

If you hear a little "tick" when shooting, stop and check before too much damage is done to the blade's edge. DAMHIKT!

jtk

Jeff Morton
05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Rob Lee had a prototype of it at HandWorks last weekend. Sounds like later this year for release. I didn't get many particulars - he was an understandably popular guy

Lloyd Robins
05-31-2013, 3:30 PM
There is a post on Woodcentral where Mr. Lee replies to a request for specs on their shooting plane. No price yet, but good information.

Hilton Ralphs
06-01-2013, 4:20 AM

Quoting Rob Lee

"
Some shooting plane stats:
• Length: 15-7/8”
• Base width: 2-1/8” (to fit Stanley #52 shooting board)
• Blade: 2-1/4” wide, bevel up, 25° bevel angle. O1 or PM-V11. All of our standard 2-1/4” bevel up blades will fit this plane.
• Bed: 12° bed angle, skewed 20°
• Blade Adjustment: Typical Veritas “Norris” type adjuster, three set screws to precisely locate the blade, and rock the blade forward/back to adjust square
• Mouth opening: adjustable toe piece with adjuster screw
• Weight: 7-3/4 lbs
• Rear tote: adjustable for angle. Plane can be used with the blade down for jointing. "

Malcolm Schweizer
08-07-2013, 3:18 PM
The new planes were mentioned on the FWW podcast, and here is a link to their article about it. LOVE the new shooting plane, and the chisel plane is nice too. I will certainly buy the shooting plane. I like the LN chisel plane because it's bronze, but if you tally up my collection of planes, so far Veritas is winning 4 to 1. Veritas- could we get some bronze versions? Us folks in the tropics would really appreciate that. It's a hard choice for sure on the chisel plane. I really like the set screws and the depth adjustment looks easy to use.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/108448/awfs-new-veritas-plane-for-shooters

bob blakeborough
08-10-2013, 10:31 PM
I got a sneak peak and a little play time with one the shooters today! All I can say is if they would have let me, I would dropped the cash on the spot and ran home giggling! Man it is a sweet unit!!! I am now losing my mind waiting for the release... :)

Derek Cohen
08-10-2013, 11:21 PM
A few more sneaky ones ... :)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Shooting%20Plane/LVShooter2_zps48729b54.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Shooting%20Plane/LVShooter3_zpsb1bcfb5f.jpg

More later ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

roger m lance
08-11-2013, 3:43 AM
Derek....I see that the LV shooter has arrived in Perth.....it couldn't be in better hands.....I and many more are awaiting your thoughts.

Chris Hachet
08-11-2013, 3:53 AM
They're probably too busy watching the senators right now to move anything along. It seems like every time around this year, it comes down to good (penguins) vs. evil (senators).

OK, I say that in jest. Evil is really the capitals and the flyers and their respective fans.If your a Penguins fan, my respect grew all the more. they can play some Hockey!

Chris Griggs
08-11-2013, 7:37 AM
A few more sneaky ones ... :)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Shooting%20Plane/LVShooter2_zps48729b54.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Shooting%20Plane/LVShooter3_zpsb1bcfb5f.jpg

More later ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Okay okay Derek, despite my recent discussion on something like the no. 9 or my LA Jack having more appeal to me then those big honkin' shooters, I'll admit, you got me with those shots :). Both those shooters do look pretty sweet. I'll have to make it back out to an LN show again this year and give the 51 a go again. Hopefully an LV booth will show up somewhere near me this year too so I can give that a go as well. Blast you Mr. Cohen!