PDA

View Full Version : Funny Festool/Retailer Story...

Derek Arita
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a 55REQ from a major retail chain store and got a 1400 rail with it. I put the set aside and have not had a chance to get to to since. This week I decided to get an LR32 set. I thought, why don't I return the 1400 rail I got with the saw and exchange it for a 55" holy rail. So I called my retailer and spoke with the manager of the store. He was flustered by my request and didn't know what to tell me. I told him that many Festool retailers allow you to do this. He told me he'd have to get some info and call me back.
Well, when I called back, he said that this was highly unusual to do, but that he would make the swap if I paid a 25% restocking fee, because I actually got the rail for free. He said he couldn't see giving me something that cost money, in exchange for something I got for free. I thought for a second, then said I'd have to think about it, because I may want to return the saw and rail and purchase from another retailer that would allow me to substitute the holy rail for the plain rail. His reply was, if I returned the unused saw, he'd have to put my name on a "Do not sell to" list, that would make it impossible for me to purchase another saw. I said, what? I then said, no, I'll go to another retailer and purchase the saw. He replied, "No...you don't understand...Festool will no longer sell you any more tools at all, once you are on that list!" I reminded him that the 55 and rail were unopened and unused, but he said that didn't matter...he'd put my name on the list. I scratched my head and told him that I would call him back and let him know what I was going to do.:confused:
I then called Festool and asked if it was an unusual request to swap guide rails and they said, not at all...that people do this all time depending on their particular needs. I then asked about the "Do not sell" list...he laughed, then laughed again, then laughed some more. He asked me who said this and he'd set them straight. He also said that in fact, Festool wants every customer to be happy with their tools, that's why they give 30 days for us to decide whether or not we want to keep the tools. He said, in that 30 days, you can return it for what ever reason and they have no problem with it. He said what I wanted made perfect sense and that he was sorry that I had that experience. I thanked him for the info and hung up.
About an hour later, I called my regional Festool Rep, Zak, to find out if he could make the swap. To my surprise, he told me that he knew all about the situation and was glad I called. He said he was called by Festool,and that he already called the retailer and straightened out the misinformation and that he was working on getting me the holy rail I wanted. He said that once the rail comes in, the retailer will be happy to make the swap for me.:D Zak said that the Manager said that one his employees told him that Festool had this "list" and so he was just informing me of that...yeah, right.
Even though I had a good laugh about the whole thing, I can't believe the crap that retailers come up with to keep a sale. This is the Manager of a major retail chain store. He should know better than to threaten a customer with something that is simply not true. He couldn't get past the fact that, in his mind, I didn't pay for the rail, so why should I be able to exchange it. So much so, that he made up this story. Even as a retail manager, he didn't know that the price of the rail is factored into total price of the package. Anyhow, thanks to Festool and Zak, I'll be getting what I need.
Sorry for the long tale, but I just had to pass this one along.

Chris Merriam
05-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Funny, no problems at my local Woodcraft swapping out the 1400 for the 1900, though it did take an extra few minutes at the computer for them to figure it out (I was getting an MFT at the same time so they had to figure in the extra 10% discount too)

David Weaver
05-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Never underestimate the ability of someone in sales or sales management to make up crap stories to avoid having to do something that they haven't done before.

Doug Ladendorf
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Glad it worked out. Perhaps that manager is now on a "list."

david brum
05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
That's an unfortunate story. I have retail store. I'm constantly haranguing my employees not to b.s. customers, make up facts, spread rumors or slam the competition. It's best to check the facts before you put your store's reputation on the line. These days, any hint of a bad reputation spreads at the speed of the internet. I'll bet your store's owner has a serious conversation with his manager.

Jeff Monson
05-22-2013, 3:07 PM
What a crock of BS, put you on the "list". I cant believe they would have the courage to tell you that. Sorry, I'd be really disappointed in that retailer, not sure I would go back there again after a line like that.

Jeff Bartley
05-22-2013, 3:17 PM
Derek, Just curious: where are you located?

Derek Arita
05-22-2013, 3:48 PM
I'm in NorCal, Sacramento area.

Jason Beam
05-22-2013, 4:34 PM
As a fellow Sacramentan .. who was this retailer? I'd like to avoid them (if i don't already).

Derek Arita
05-22-2013, 4:53 PM
Jason, tough to avoid this store as it is only one of two that carry Festool up here. The other is so lightly stocked that its not worth my drive out there. As it is, this store is 45 minutes away from me. Don't want to name names for fear of violating forum rules.

Jason Beam
05-22-2013, 6:37 PM
Derek,

No worries - i know the one you're talking about. I already do avoid them :P

Kittu Baba
06-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I purchased my Festool saw in another city as they were the only one in 200 miles who had stock but the track which came with was damaged. I asked if I could pick up the track in the store in my city and they happily agreed. When I went to pickup the rail, the guy at the counter(a woodworker and part time employee) thought it was impossible to do this. While it it is good to have hobbyists work as employees but some times they can be clueless about business practices. I had to call up the manager of the other store who then made the 'impossible' possible but also enabled me to swap the track to a more expensive track with me paying the difference.