PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for cutting duct collector port into cast iron.

Mike Black Milford, MI
05-22-2013, 8:52 AM
I would like to add a 4" dust collection port on my Delta 14" Bandsaw. I will want to cut a 4" hole through the lower cast iron body. Is a carbide grit hole saw the best tool for cutting through cast iron? Or are there better methods? I will also have to cut off a bit of the inside cast iron web. I think I can cut that off with a carbide grit reciprocating saw blade.

Bill Huber
05-22-2013, 9:06 AM
I don't think you should cut the cast iron at all, there are a lot of stresses in CI and you never know what will happen when you do.
I would make a dust port for the front of the saw just under the table or cut a hole in the side panel.

Just my 2 cents

Art Mann
05-22-2013, 9:30 AM
I agree with Bill. The chances of turning your band saw into scrap iron are too great.

Steve Juhasz
05-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Mike did not ask whether he "should" cut the hole, he asked how he should cut the hole. I am sure he is old enough to have decided whether or not this is the best course of action and answer him accordingly or not at all. In any case Mike, the best way to cut cast iron (if in fact it is cast iron and not plate steel) would be a grinder with a cut-off wheel. Something perhaps in the 5" range would be easy to handle. Lots of sparks will fly, but you will get a nice square hole and dust port adapter will cover the square hole cleanly. A carbide grit hole saw 4" in diameter costs a fortune if it is any good at all, and is better suited to stucco or brick than iron.

John Lanciani
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm with Bill & Art, this is a receipe for disaster. Punch a 4" hole in the lower wheel cover and put the port there. If you pooch it you can get a used replacement tin for short money on e-bay, if you mess up with the cast iron the saw just became scrap weight.

Jeff Duncan
05-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I think 4" is a bit large....I might go for a 3" instead with another 3" at the lower guide. Not sure of your saw but many saws have a dust port there already. Having said that cast iron drills pretty easily so it may cut easily as well? I might be inclined to try a hole saw and see how it goes. Especially if you have one lying around, even if it's a smaller size you can still start it to see how it works before shelling out cash for the larger diameter.

good luck,
JeffD

Myk Rian
05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Instead of cutting into the body of the saw, try what I did.
I made a wood box to attach to the stand, under the saw. I connect the DC to that.
Sealing the lower wheel cover with foam pipe cover, and putting a sheet metal guard under the table draws the dust down, and into the DC. Works pretty well.

262852 262853 262855

Art Mann
05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Mike did not ask whether he "should" cut the hole, he asked how he should cut the hole. I am sure he is old enough to have decided whether or not this is the best course of action and answer him accordingly or not at all. In any case Mike, the best way to cut cast iron (if in fact it is cast iron and not plate steel) would be a grinder with a cut-off wheel. Something perhaps in the 5" range would be easy to handle. Lots of sparks will fly, but you will get a nice square hole and dust port adapter will cover the square hole cleanly. A carbide grit hole saw 4" in diameter costs a fortune if it is any good at all, and is better suited to stucco or brick than iron.

If Mike is old enough to decide whether to cut a hole in cast iron, then presumably he is old enough to know the difference between cast iron and stamped steel. He is also probably old enough to know whether he wants a square or round hole. I was just hoping to save him from what has a high probability of becoming a disaster. He may not have worked with cast iron very much and may not be familiar with its physical properties, regardless of his age.

Actually, cast iron is fairly soft and can be cut with a reciprocating pneumatic hack saw. If I were going to cut a hole in cast iron, round or square, a cutoff wheel would not be my first choice.

Peter Aeschliman
05-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Mike,

I recently cut a square hole through a cast iron tablesaw extension wing (won't hijack this thread by explaining why). I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. Cast iron cuts very easily with metal-cutting tools.

A round hole might be more of a challenge for an angle grinder. you can do it, but you'll be doing a lot of grinding to make the hole round. A 4" hole would be tough and would require cutting from both sides since the grinding wheel is larger than the hole. So I think a diamond-tipped hole saw is a better idea.

I made the stupid mistake of not wearing my respirator while I made the cuts. Between the cast iron dust and the dust generated by the abrasive cut-off wheel, my lungs were irritated for about a week. So wear a P100 respirator.

Now, despite Steve's pointed rebuke, I can't help but join the chorus of voices trying to talk you out of this. Mass and structural rigidity are two very important attributes of bandsaws. You're lucky to have a saw that has cast iron in the area where you want to cut. I wouldn't take this risk when you could more easily cut the hole in the lower door (as mentioned, this is a replaceable part). Just use a quick release hose clamp and it won't get in your way when you want to open and close the door. I did this on my saw and it works great.

Furthermore, what I found on my bandsaw is that a 4" port right under the table keeps any dust from getting into the lower wheel compartment. I made mine so that I can raise and lower it. This way, it tucks up tightly under the table regardless of whether I have the table tilted. So in hindsight, I wish I had never cut a hole in the door because it's unnecessary. I'd start with an under-table solution like this first and see where it gets you. If you're unsatisfied, cut your hole in the door, not the cast iron. If you're convinced that you should cut into the cast iron, then best of luck to you friend!

Mike Black Milford, MI
05-22-2013, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. This is an older Delta Bandsaw and does not have any built in dust ports. I was thinking of adding the dust port on the cast iron side mainly because that is where most newer bandsaws seem to have a dust port. I just never thought about putting one on the sheet metal lower door or under the support base until your suggestions.

Peter Aeschliman
05-22-2013, 4:47 PM
You'll notice that the newer saws have the ports built into the casting itself, which is a far stronger way to do it than just cutting a hole. They also have cross-bracing inside the port to add strength.

Bruce Wrenn
05-22-2013, 9:25 PM
Do a search for my tip in Wood magazine about three years ago on collecting dust on a 14" Delta bandsaw. No cutting of the saw involved.

Rod Sheridan
05-23-2013, 9:02 AM
You can cut the hole with a jig saw or a hole saw.

I would use the hole saw myself..............Regards, Rod.

Curt Harms
05-24-2013, 8:51 AM
You can cut the hole with a jig saw or a hole saw.

I would use the hole saw myself..............Regards, Rod.

That'd be my vote as well if you choose to cut a hole. I'd think a bimetal hole saw would be adequate. I think I'd try something like Mike or Peter suggested first, though. Definitely make the hole in the door if under-the-table collection doesn't work.