PDA

View Full Version : Boeken Hout bord (Cape Beech Plate)

Glenda Marais
05-22-2013, 1:56 AM
As Chris mentioned in his post, one gets so wrapped up in day to day living and the kids, that our hobby is sometimes put on hold for months on end and one gets a bit out of practice.
The last 2 weekends I did get some shop time and it was great. The firs Saturday I just threw apiece of crotch Apricot on and as it was really actually just to practice, it did not matter that it was not cut correctly and that it contained some pith. I wanted to turn it quite thin, but just when I started to go thinner, the LOML walked in and said she likes it the way it is, as it is heavy and she wants to put it on the counter where wethrow down our keys to house these. Trying to explain that this is not my best work, fell on deaf ears.

The next Saturday I mounted a piece of “Boekenhout” – Cape Beech it is an indigenous tree that grows at our coastal region. As I turned, a piece of Bark that was completely enclosed in the wood became visible. I wish I knew about it earlier, as I then would have incorporated it abit more into the design, but it came out OK. I got a bit of tear out on the rim, but the bark piece became a bit unstable so I was not going to risk the whole bowl to get it out.

Here is a bit of a description of the tree:
Boekenhout – Cape Beech – Rapanea melanophloeos

Rapanea melanophloeos is a dense, graceful, evergreen tree.Its leaves, stalks and berries often have a purple or maroon colour. This treeis usually dioecious (male and female flowers on different trees) and birds are attracted by its tiny, dark purple berries. The natural range of this statelytree is from Cape Town in the south, to Zambia in the north. In the EasternCape it is sometimes found alongside its smaller coastal relative, Rapaneagilliana. Despite its common name it is not a close relative of the familiar Beech tree of the northern hemisphere, and it is actually more closely relatedto the Rhododendrons. Rapanea grows easily from seed.

Phil Hansen
05-22-2013, 6:18 AM
Mooi bord,
Do you not find the boekenhout rather soft?
Have made a few pens but had to stabilize the wood first or it crumbled.
Got mine was from Richards Bay area.
Phil

Glenda Marais
05-22-2013, 6:45 AM
Dankie Phil

Where is Rosetta?

No the slab I have is as hard as hell, but one can see that it was a big tree. It is grainy and as soon as you go against the grain you gave to be carfull to prevent tearing.

A pepper mill I made from it droped of the table and cracked a tile, and there was hardly a dent in the mill:-)

Phil Hansen
05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Tussen Mooi Rivier en Nottingham Road op die ou pad.
Mine must be well spalted then or a bit vrot :)
Looks good when finished though.

Phil

Glenda Marais
05-24-2013, 12:42 AM
It does finish beautifully. I have made some pepper mills that are exquisite! Do you belong to a turner’s organisation downthere? We have quite an active organisationhere in Pretoria and most the guys have many years’ experience, and are alwayskeen to help.

Phil Hansen
05-24-2013, 3:29 AM
I belong to the Midlands Guild and know some of the folk. The meetings are normally at night and I am not happy driving a distance on these roads at night. <br>
The Saturday meetings are OK.