PDA

View Full Version : Fruits & Nuts - tall goblet

Roger Chandler
05-21-2013, 4:36 PM
This tall goblet is from a piece of apple that came from Oregon and the stem is walnut......."fruit & nut" combo. Thanks go out to Scott Trumbo from Serious Toolworks for the apple. It was small, and I did not want to make another box, so I just decided that it had been a while since I had made a goblet, and I have been wanting to do a tall one.

This one is 10" tall and 3-3/8" at the rim.

The finish is not complete yet......still have to let the WTF cure at least a day or so, then re-apply to get more gloss. We have a club meeting this evening and I wanted to go ahead and show it, so I just stopped the finish process where it is.

Comments always welcome!

Steve bellinger
05-21-2013, 6:22 PM
Roger i really like this one. of corse i love the looks of apple, if it would always do what we want with out cracking, and moving so much.:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2013, 9:26 PM
That is nice Roger. Really well done. Sometimes a change can do a person good.

Roger Chandler
05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Roger i really like this one. of corse i love the looks of apple, if it would always do what we want with out cracking, and moving so much.:)

Thanks Steve.........I think this particular piece of apple will stay like it is.......no movement during the turning and it was pretty dry with anchor seal on it.........Scott did a good job sealing this piece.

Roger Chandler
05-21-2013, 10:32 PM
That is nice Roger. Really well done. Sometimes a change can do a person good.

I agree Bernie.......sometimes a change can fire up the creative juices a bit.......all of us need that from time to time! Thanks! :)

Roger Chandler
05-22-2013, 10:06 AM
I have been pondering if this would look better with the stem ebonized......any opinions on that possibility?

bob svoboda
05-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Wonderful goblet, Roger. IMHO the stem looks just fine the way it is.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Wonderful goblet, Roger. IMHO the stem looks just fine the way it is.

Thanks Bob! I appreciate your vote for the natural walnut! :)

Trevor Howard
05-22-2013, 12:20 PM
I have been pondering if this would look better with the stem ebonized......any opinions on that possibility?

No, expert here Roger, but when I looked at it I thought if the walnut was darker, it would show of the apple better. Not ebonized, just darker. Either way it's still very good looking.

Brian Kent
05-22-2013, 6:15 PM
I really love this one. Congratulations!

Roger Chandler
05-22-2013, 8:30 PM
I really love this one. Congratulations!

Thanks Brian.........appreciated! You have done a number of goblets lately yourself.........getting tired of the form yet? I think doing one occasionally helps keep you sharp for fine tool control.......same with finials.......makes you develop a light touch when with bowls we tend to be a little more heavy-handed!

Roger Chandler
05-23-2013, 1:30 PM
If I were going to ebonize the stem on this, I have a couple of "concerns"........one is preventing bleed from the dye into the apple......since the stem is already glued to the form. Second is since this already has some finish on it, would the dye take or do I need to sand back down to bare wood?

Any ideas on this?