PDA

View Full Version : For The SketchUp Users--SketchUp 2013 Is Available Now

Dave Richards
05-21-2013, 3:41 PM
The new version of SketchUp has been released. Check it out here (http://www.sketchup.com/). Download SketchUp 2013 Make if you want the free version.

Most of the changes are under the hood but there's some cool stuff like easier plugin installation and customize-able toolbars. All the details are on the SketchUp (http://www.sketchup.com/) site.

Sam Murdoch
05-21-2013, 5:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dave!

Dave Richards
05-21-2013, 5:41 PM
Any time, Sam. If you have any questions about getting it set up or whatever, drop me an e-mail. I can help you out.

Thomas Bank
05-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Just saw the announcement this evening on Architosh - http://architosh.com/2013/05/trimble-announces-new-sketchup-2013-3d-apps/

I'll be interested to see where Trimble takes things. Google really got SketchUp out to the public, but I sort of never felt that there was a real clear direction that they were headed with it. Trimble is a big AEC player, so I expect to see some powerful thing happening with SketchUp in that realm.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anywhere to download the Mac version. If you go to the download section, it only downloads an exe file and the installation instructions talk about the exe file.

[edit]Had to use Safari to get the option to download the OSX version. With OmniWeb, that field did not come up for me.

Dave Richards
05-22-2013, 6:25 AM
I think you're right. Google bought SketchUp with really only one goal. To get Google Earth populated with 3D buildings. They publicly stated that goal. Hand out the program for free and people all over the world would draw the buildings around them and submit them for inclusion in Earth. It quickly became apparent not enough users were going to contribute buildings. We were too busy drawing furniture and space ships and other things to do that. Once they were able to get LIDAR on the cars and drones, they didn't need SketchUp anymore. The buildings are now drawn automatically from LIDAR data and photos.

Now Trimble, on the other hand, has some clear ideas for linking SketchUp with their other software products so I expect we'll see some added features going that direction. They are also committed to the 3D printing business because that easily ties in with their construction side. Think 3D printed buildings. Now the SketchUp team has a pretty good sense of direction which they weren't given at Google.

Eduard Nemirovsky
05-22-2013, 9:03 PM
Thank you, David,

Ed.

Larry Browning
05-22-2013, 9:57 PM
So, what are the chances of Sketchup remaining free? Will they take away the woodworking features in the free version?

Dave Richards
05-23-2013, 7:13 AM
Larry, there is still a free version of SketchUp. It is called SketchUp 2013 Make. They told us last fall that they are committed to continuing a free version. They aren't taking away any features at all. When you download SketchUp 2013 Make you actually get the pro version to try for 8 hours of running time. If you don't opt to buy the license after that time has passed it will revert to 2013 Make. While you have the pro version you should take advantage of some of the additional features. Try out the Solid Tools, import and export CAD files or make high res animation exports, give LayOut a whirl, maybe even make your own line styles.