PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough Fingers to Count the Mistakes

Jim Koepke
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
The thread "Going Pro" got me thinking and to posting this example of why for me woodworking if fun and not an avenue to a great income.

We sell plants, produce and crafts at the local Farmers Market. Making tables or displays for the plants is one of my ongoing projects. This wooden wheel barrow is a recent attempt. It is my prototype mostly for display purposes. If someone wants to empty their wallet to take it home, I will not refuse.

A lot of the pieces are made from salvaged cedar and fir.

There are a lot of errors that can not be seen in this photo. Surely there are a lot that can be seen.

Hopefully my next one will be better.

Any ideas to help improve my next attempt are welcome.

jtk

Jim Neeley
05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm with you, Jim... While I believe that we should love what we do for a living (and I do), woodworking for me is peaceful relaxation and escape from the everyday rush.

I've had a couple of people want to "commission" something from me but I always have and plan to continue to decline. I do my work for fun, as gifts. As slow as I work, if I were to try to charge for my woodworking, I'd be working for pennies and hour and, to speed it up would take away the fun for me.

That said, I understand and greatly respect those who do it professionally and do it well; they are true artisans!!

Jim

David Weaver
05-21-2013, 1:27 PM
If it came with two chickens instead of one, it'd be perfect.

Chris Griggs
05-21-2013, 1:35 PM
Better to have this problem because you have too many mistakes as opposed to having not enough fingers. That's a win right there!

David Weaver
05-21-2013, 1:49 PM
I'd put struts on it between the back handle and the feet in case someone sits on it, too. Presume it's to be yard art, or do you want to make some that can be functional? If the latter, along with the struts, the handles would have to come out closer to level and lower so that the feet are off the ground when you are holding the handles standing up.

I know you're probably not trying to make one that people are going to cart things around on, but as a side note anyway, I have seen people put solid wooden wheels on wheelbarrows and wrap sheet metal around the wheel when they've had one or two dozen times too many that they get a flat tire. Works pretty well.

Jeff Duncan
05-21-2013, 2:20 PM
My advice.....ask your prospective clients!

Really, you could get pages of good well intentioned advice from guys on these forums, if none of them are actually buying your product though how valuable is it? For instance, if your in a medium - low income area, making your projects out of premium materials and using more intensive joinery methods may not pay off. Similarly if your in a high income area people want better quality and won't be as interested if it's too cheap looking. Lower end and people will probably lean towards things made out of new materials. Higher end, you may be able to push recycled materials as "Green"! I'll assume if your selling at local markets you have a reasonably good personality? Talk to your clients and get feedback on what they like, (or don't like), about your stuff, and just keep trying:D

good luck,
JeffD

Jim Koepke
05-21-2013, 2:21 PM
I'd put struts on it between the back handle and the feet in case someone sits on it, too. Presume it's to be yard art, or do you want to make some that can be functional? If the latter, along with the struts, the handles would have to come out closer to level and lower so that the feet are off the ground when you are holding the handles standing up.

I know you're probably not trying to make one that people are going to cart things around on, but as a side note anyway, I have seen people put solid wooden wheels on wheelbarrows and wrap sheet metal around the wheel when they've had one or two dozen times too many that they get a flat tire. Works pretty well.

Thanks for the thoughts David. There is one strut for strength near the top. You are right, there are likely people who do not have the brain power to figure out that an expanse of half inch cedar isn't going to support their 250 lb. super sized gluteus maximus.

I am thinking of making the legs much shorter and using a lower position for the wheel.

I thought of trying to find steel hoops that could be installed on the wheel. Mostly though these are just for whimsical garden art.

jtk

George Gyulatyan
05-21-2013, 2:55 PM
I'd remove the wheel and turn it into Adirondak chair.

Jim Koepke
05-21-2013, 3:37 PM
I'd remove the wheel and turn it into Adirondak chair.

Or I could cut the front legs and arms off of this and add a wheel.

It has often come to mind to add wheels and handles to one of these chairs. It would make a convenient way to carry a load of goodies down to a beach from the parking lot.

jtk

george wilson
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
I had an ample figured girl in a high school group plop her ample anatomy on top of an 18th.C. piano forte in my shop. I owned it,and the lid was 3/8 of an inch thick. The Hepplewhite tapered square lens were no more than 1" square at the bottom,and worse,had very small,original brass casters under them. It was a better, completely original Astor,better than the one at Monticello. I even had the original tuning wrench and tuning fork at 18th.C.pitch. Fortunately she didn't break anything. One of the few times I yelled at a group,and told her how misbehaved she was. No bad letters came.

The parents of an actress (Paula Prentiss) came into another museum. The mother plopped her large frame onto an original 18th.C. chair. The attendant said "please don't sit on the artifacts". The woman,in a very yankee brogue said "So what's an ourtifact?"

Jim Koepke
05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Fortunately she didn't break anything.

My biggest fear is someone will try to take their kid for a ride on one of my wheel barrows, hit a tree and try and sue.

Doesn't matter if they have a case if they can file and make me hire a lawyer.

There is insurance for business available, but a year's coverage costs almost as much as any profit I am likely to make in a year.

jtk

Jim Neeley
05-22-2013, 2:25 AM
Jim,

What if you put a flat side on the barrow, intended to be facing the ground, as if it's partly depressed in the soft earth? Perhaps with a piece turned 90* as a support?

Either that or pin the wheel so it can't turn. <g>

Jim Matthews
05-22-2013, 6:07 AM
This one looks sharp.

The arms show real attention to the user,
how did you get them to shine like that?

Jim Matthews
05-22-2013, 6:15 AM
You might have to include footnotes for some of our younger readers when referring to actresses.

Hollywood grinds up another herd of 18 year olds, every year.
Paula Prentiss was a big deal, in the Kennedy administration.

I'm reminded of Victor Borge's schtik involving singers touching his piano,
"We have an agreement... she keeps her hands off my piano, and I won't lay hands on her coloratura."

Jim Koepke
05-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Jim,

What if you put a flat side on the barrow, intended to be facing the ground, as if it's partly depressed in the soft earth? Perhaps with a piece turned 90* as a support?

Either that or pin the wheel so it can't turn. <g>

The spilled wheel barrow effect did cross my mind. It may be set up that way at the farmers market.

Another thought was to use a square or octagon wheel.

This one looks sharp.

The arms show real attention to the user,
how did you get them to shine like that?

Planes, BLO and a coat of tung oil.

Not sure if it is noticeable in the image, the front legs are joined into the arm with a dove tail. My thought on this is people often pull on the arms to get out of a chair like this and my fear is after a few years it may pull apart at this junction.

Here is a detail from a different chair:

I am finding it difficult to sell these as there is another maker who has a mass production set up and can sell them cheaper. His are unfinished and do not have many of the details of mine. At a farmers market, just like other markets, people are often shopping for price first.

jtk

Bill McDermott
05-22-2013, 1:06 PM
Jim, I wonder how many people pass because they can't get it into their car easily. Could they be built so that the legs slide into the arms, maybe with a pin to lock them there? That way you would have two flat pieces that could easily fit in any car. Maybe this is a great example of Jeff's "well intentioned advice" that does not have any actual value in the marketplace. Still, it is the first thing to my mind. Second thought: Do any of the folks at the Farmer's market bring produce in crates with any stamped wood? Maybe incorporating some "Tomatoes" crate pieces would appeal to the crowd. I suppose that's all plastic and cardboard.

Jim Koepke
05-22-2013, 2:32 PM
Jim, I wonder how many people pass because they can't get it into their car easily. Could they be built so that the legs slide into the arms, maybe with a pin to lock them there? That way you would have two flat pieces that could easily fit in any car. Maybe this is a great example of Jeff's "well intentioned advice" that does not have any actual value in the marketplace. Still, it is the first thing to my mind. Second thought: Do any of the folks at the Farmer's market bring produce in crates with any stamped wood? Maybe incorporating some "Tomatoes" crate pieces would appeal to the crowd. I suppose that's all plastic and cardboard.

Bill,

Thanks for the comments and mentioning Jeff's advice. I missed his post since I often just look for the new posts and the SMC software isn't perfected for that.

I do question the folks at the market on their thoughts and ideas often. Made a few products folks mentioned and ended up selling them later. I will also offer delivery when people show any interest.

My parents had a furniture and appliance store. My dad once told me he wasn't in competition so much with other stores with the same types of merchandise as he was with the auto dealers who convinced the man of the house he needed a new car. There is a lot of competition for the disposable income people have. I am working to be one of the main contenders. I need to find some good wood for making honey dippers, spoons and other inexpensive items. Many people do not even think about dropping a few dollars on something they can use and boast about it being from a local craftsperson. Last year a guy came and bought every honey dipper we had so he could give them with a jar of honey to friends and family as gifts.

There are no more wooden crates from the vendors at the market. They also like to reuse any containers they have. But it is a good idea and I may try making some fantasy produce box ends myself.

BTW, I do have fun with the folks coming through. As people pass by I will have a thyme plant and a soda bottle with the bottom cut off and ask them if they would like to 'have time in a bottle.' I have also drilled holes in old cups found at a place called TEPCO beach (Google > tepco beach < for more information) by the locals where we lived in California. A flowering plant was planted in one and as people passed I asked if they did any baking. Then I asked if I could interest them in a cup of flower. One woman bought it just for the story. So now I need to make another. I am thinking of gluing a tap measure to the bottom so I can tell them it is also a measuring cup as I pull out the tape.

jtk

Bruce Haugen
05-22-2013, 4:39 PM
Many people do not even think about dropping a few dollars on something they can use and boast about it being from a local craftsperson. jtk

I have a friend, a skilled turner, who can make a set of knitting needles in less than ten minutes. He sells them for $15 per pair, and built an entire cottage for their B&B with the proceeds from those knitting needles.

Jim Koepke
05-22-2013, 4:50 PM
I have a friend, a skilled turner, who can make a set of knitting needles in less than ten minutes. He sells them for $15 per pair, and built an entire cottage for their B&B with the proceeds from those knitting needles.

Great idea. Next time the lathe is fired up maybe I should try my hand at these. Maybe I should learn to knit to show them off whilst trying to sell them.

jtk

Roy Lindberry
05-22-2013, 8:51 PM
The thread "Going Pro" got me thinking and to posting this example of why for me woodworking if fun and not an avenue to a great income.

We sell plants, produce and crafts at the local Farmers Market. Making tables or displays for the plants is one of my ongoing projects. This wooden wheel barrow is a recent attempt. It is my prototype mostly for display purposes. If someone wants to empty their wallet to take it home, I will not refuse.

A lot of the pieces are made from salvaged cedar and fir.

There are a lot of errors that can not be seen in this photo. Surely there are a lot that can be seen.

Hopefully my next one will be better.

Any ideas to help improve my next attempt are welcome.

jtk

Jim,

The title of your thread made me laugh. I immediately thought, "those were big mistakes, if they took him down a couple of fingers!"