PDA

View Full Version : Nakashima Style For The Masses

Andrew Joiner
05-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I saw this:
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=23066 (http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=23066)

It's interesting they are:
1- Priced low in my opinion. Chilton the maker probably only gets half the retail price.
2- Finished with lacquer.
3- Letting the consumer pick wood selection.

It's great to see that Room and Board is featuring Made in USA furniture.

Richard Coers
05-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Not too low of a price considering the leg system. And if they don't use elongated holes in the steel, those butterflies will really get a work out before the top cracks. Is there no bracing on the legs to the top? Slide that across some carpet and you will be loading up that row of screws. Top doesn't look thick, so not much bite on those screws. Looks under designed to me.

Zach Callum
05-22-2013, 8:22 PM
Those butterflies look really stupid. In a piece like that they should have a more organic look to them. Price is lower than what I would build it for.

johnny means
05-23-2013, 9:03 PM
Reminds me of Ikea stuff. Clearly over priced.

brian c miller
05-23-2013, 9:50 PM
I think you spelled hipster incorrectly.

BCM

Frederick Skelly
05-23-2013, 10:07 PM
I guess "priced low" is a matter of whether you're selling or buying, huh? I don't buy many $2200 tables myself. ;)

And the butterflies don't look good to me either.

Fred

Everett Fulkerson
05-24-2013, 6:59 AM
I don't believe the price is low at all. It isn't a real Nakashima, so the added value of his name is non existent. It is simply two boards glued together, ontop of maybe $40 worth of metal. Slabs are actually cheaper for sawmills to cut since there is less time envolved. A shop with a proper wide belt sander could flatten that entire top, front and back, in less than 20 minutes. Probably batch cutting the inlays as well.

You can't apply how long it might take you, in your shop and with your material costs to determining someone else is over or under charging for their work.

All the the woodworkers I know who do live edge, do it strictly because the premium for different is there. Plus you don't really need be that techincally proficient to drop partially milled lumber on top of a base and call it "live edge furniture".

It isn't who has the most tools who wins, it's who has the biggest machinery.

Be Good
Rhett

Larry Edgerton
05-24-2013, 6:59 AM
I saw this:
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=23066 (http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=23066)

It's interesting they are:
1. Chilton the maker probably only gets half the retail price.

One of the main reasons that I stopped selling to galleries. There are other reasons too.

Larry

Andrew Joiner
05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
The page I linked shows a 72"x 32"x probably 6/4 thick top. In my area the bookmatched slabs kiln dried to make that would be $300 to $400 at the cheapest rough. Getting consistent supply of wide dry slabs is not cheap.

If you had a quality shop and machines all paid for you still have overhead. The labor to get rough slabs into a lacquer finished top that will stand up to warranty?
Then you have the metal base cost. Packaging is probably Chilton's responsibility. Shipping it to Room and Board or the consumer would entail some losses and damaged goods.

Thick wide live edge slabs in reality take time and involve risk of movement.

For $2,300 total if the consumers picked up and paid cash at the maker's shop, yes a good profit.
Chilton probably gets $1,150 and has to pack,ship, and back the warranty.Is there room for much profit?

Greg Portland
05-24-2013, 2:56 PM
The page I linked shows a 72"x 32"x probably 6/4 thick top. In my area the bookmatched slabs kiln dried to make that would be $300 to $400 at the cheapest rough. Getting consistent supply of wide dry slabs is not cheap.

If you had a quality shop and machines all paid for you still have overhead. The labor to get rough slabs into a lacquer finished top that will stand up to warranty?
Then you have the metal base cost. Packaging is probably Chilton's responsibility. Shipping it to Room and Board or the consumer would entail some losses and damaged goods.

Thick wide live edge slabs in reality take time and involve risk of movement.

For $2,300 total if the consumers picked up and paid cash at the maker's shop, yes a good profit.
Chilton probably gets $1,150 and has to pack,ship, and back the warranty.Is there room for much profit?

Chilton probably buys entire trees, mills them, and has their own driers to further reduce costs.

Andrew Joiner
05-24-2013, 5:04 PM
Chilton probably buys entire trees, mills them, and has their own driers to further reduce costs.
I made a mistake.It's Lyndon Furniture that makes the table. Chilton must be the live edge line of tops from Lyndon. Lyndon's website only says some logs come from there own land.

johnny means
05-24-2013, 8:43 PM
Since when is a 15" wide board a slab? These don't seem to me to be anything more than average walnut boards edge glued, nothing particularly valuable.