PDA

View Full Version : A couple new Turning wood gatherin' tools...

Rick Markham
05-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Beep Beep! :D:eek:

Let me know if anyone needs help loading something in their truck at the symposium in Tampa... as long as it is under 1500lbs, and your truck isn't taller than mine, I can help you lift it!:cool: Yes it's a single cab F-350, yes it's a 6.0 turbo diesel, yes it is a turning tool, the next addition is going to be a 17,500lb recovery winch which can be added to the hitch, with a pair of log skidding tongs on the end... should make getting large trunk/crotch sections in the truck easy peasy... Who's gone off the deep end? :eek: (First picture is what it looked like before the transformation began)

David Reed
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Looks a little under powered to me for any real turning. Is it variable speed?
What's the capicity of the lift gate.

Rick Markham
05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
it's a dual drive gate so it does 1500lbs... I opted for the big one... who wouldn't? As for the truck, I am still trying to figure out a way to attach a chuck to the drive shaft

Keith Outten
05-21-2013, 1:41 PM
Rick,

Very nice truck! I bought a 1979 Ford 350 Camper Special that got nine miles to the gallon and you couldn't overload it :)

To turn your truck into a lathe you jack up the rear end and remove one tire. You can use the spindle as a face plate and adjust the RPM with the accelerator pedal :) Somewhere in my Internet travels I saw a picture of this actually being done.

Don Bunce
05-21-2013, 1:43 PM
Someone is going to post this,so it might as well be me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04

Mark Bolton
05-21-2013, 1:51 PM
When I first started reading I was like... 1500lbs? A one ton? Then I scrolled down and saw the lift gate ;). Bet you'll have a lot more calls from "friends" with something like that on the back of your truck. Moving, picking up appliances, haha.

Rick Markham
05-21-2013, 2:35 PM
Keith, this one gets about 13 mpg so not much improvement there I suppose. I have seen the video and it's nearly as impressive as the guy who makes giant wooden balls!

Mark, the number of calls from friends will probably still be the same, it just will be a whole lot easier on me and my back :D (I'm sure my popularity will improve significantly lol)

Tim Rinehart
05-21-2013, 3:02 PM
Nice! That should make short work of loading.

Mark Bolton
05-21-2013, 3:05 PM
I wonder what the lift gate costs you in payload with the weight cantilevered out on the rear like that? Truck probably has 11k or so GVW, weighs 8K+ or close to 9K? No matter really as you'd never have a gate that could handle the rated capacity of the 1 ton. I was just wondering if you could tell if the weight hanging out off the rear like that had much effect.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-21-2013, 3:31 PM
Hey Rick,
What a bogus excuse for buying a great ride that doubles as a toy. Given the fact that you can pick up a 10 lb chunk of wood and if you do enough embellishment, take a month to finish it, and it can be hauled on your bike basket. However, I promise not to tell your family. Ford makes wonderful trucks and you are probably not surprised to hear that GM and Ford's number one selling vehicles are both pick up trucks. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
faust

Baxter Smith
05-21-2013, 3:40 PM
Does this now justify a bigger lathe?:)

bob svoboda
05-21-2013, 3:40 PM
Looks like a great set-up.

Roger Chandler
05-21-2013, 4:52 PM
That's a purdy nice wood getter ya' got there Rick! :D

Rick Markham
05-21-2013, 5:01 PM
Does this now justify a bigger lathe?:)

Baxter, I'm just itching to test it out with say a metal lathe... Look out Craigslist!! Too bad it can't pick up a bigger shop... (this is sad especially since I feel I have finally "moved in" to my new shop, that's for a later gloat.)

Faust, While this is true... a bike basket would look kinda funny on front of a F-350 don't ya think? :D

Mark, surprisingly it actually handles better than it did before, plenty of traction, and it seems to act as a giant spoiler on the highway... I'm sure it is going to affect that 13mpg, but I didn't buy this thing for fuel economy. It added a foot to the bed length, I'm sure it affects the payload capacity, but the truck is 6500 lbs with a 11,100 GVW so there's 4,400 lbs to play with before exceeding the cargo capacity. I don't plan on pushing that limit or coming close to doing it. Now I just need a custom trailer so I can winch whole trunks up and haul them home (My new neighbor has a sawmill he loves to use ;))

charlie knighton
05-21-2013, 5:15 PM
go get um Rick

Jeff Nicol
05-21-2013, 5:47 PM
Rick, Looks a lot like mine except a few years newer and much fancier wheels, graphics, the deisel and I don't have any power widows or any of that "Pampered" wood turner stuff! Oh and my truck is an F-250 and bright red, but I have the custom trailer and the sawmill already so I don't feel too bad that you have fancy chrome wheels!

I like the the new Tommy Gate and I could use that this Friday when I go pick up some "OLD ARN" that I picked up at a WI Government surplus auction, and one is another metal lathe to add to my growing collection of toys.

Nice truck and have fun hauling the wood!

Jeff

Dennis Nagle
05-21-2013, 6:11 PM
Very nice. I blew the trans in my truck last night and it is not worth fixing....I might have to look for a super duty.

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2013, 9:27 PM
Thats a great looking rig Rick. Should save the old back.

Rick Markham
05-22-2013, 5:24 AM
Thanks Y'all, it's been fun so far. The best part of it was I got a deal I couldn't pass up, so I have to put it to work. It has already been a big help... It would have been very nice to have BEFORE moving all of my equipment, pushing new very heavy equipment up the long gravel driveway etc. (hindsight is always 20/20) Now for some chainsaws, and someone to cut some trees down, I guess it's time to call my friend who does tree work. :)

Jeff it already came with the fancy wheels, as for other options it has AC, the towing package and 4wd. The windows aren't fancy either, just the old crank on them. I like it that way, suits me just fine. Gotta love the single cab with the bench seat! :D