PDA

View Full Version : Live Edge Table Top

Don L Johnson
05-21-2013, 9:12 AM
I'm making a sofa table and will be using some slabs of mesquite with full bark on the live edges (the boards have been stickered for a couple of years). Is it okay to keep all of the bark and spray the varnish in all of the nooks and crannies, or will the bark fall off in the future and make the piece less attractive? I've never worked with live edge material, so have some leaning to do. Thanks.

Sam Layton
05-21-2013, 9:33 AM
Hi Don,

I just finished a sofa table with a live edge with bark. Years ago I did our fire place mantle the same way. I don't know anything about mesquite. In places where the bark appeared loose I used CA glue to secure it. On one section that was really loose I used yellow glue to secure it.

When I applied the finish I used a brush to apply the finish to the live edge. I made sure it soaked into the bark. after it was dry, I turned the table over and applied it again. The varnish helps glue the bark in place. I applied it very heavy to make sure it soaked into the bark. You just have to continually clean up the runs with your brush. The bark is now very secure.

Sam