PDA

View Full Version : Drawer design for hanging file folders

Brent Romero
05-20-2013, 11:30 PM
I am about to embark on building a new desk in my office and I am wondering what is the best way to build drawers to hold hanging file folders. My current desk has them just hanging on the top of the 3/4 board but they tend to slide around a bit and fall down.

Looking for a better design...

Thanks

Jim Neeley
05-21-2013, 12:27 AM
If you want something that will look professional and hold up to wear, here's one solution from Woodworker's Supply.

More expensive than using the wooden rails and nicer looking than the office supply metal "file drawer inserts", although that's another option.

Jim

Chris Padilla
05-21-2013, 12:42 AM
I used a wire-rack thingy made for hanging file folders. It is cheap, nothing special, but has worked for me. It is likely the one Jim above is referring to.

Cary Falk
05-21-2013, 12:46 AM
I used 3/4" by 3/4" angle iron mounted on top of the drawer for mine.

Jamie Buxton
05-21-2013, 12:53 AM
I use aluminum bars 1/8x3/4 running front to back. They drop into slots cut into the front and the back. Cut the slots with a router before you glue up the drawer. The rails can be dropped in after the drawer is finished. Space the slots 12 1/16" apart for letter-sized hanging folders. Space them 15 1/16" apart for legal-sized hanging folders. Or put multiple slots in a drawer so you can set the rails for either letter or legal. IMHO, the aluminum bars look better than the stamped sheet metal rails.

Here's a sketch....