PDA

View Full Version : First Real Hollowform

wes murphy
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
I decided to post this this even though it doesn't fit the norm for hollow forms around here. I had this piece of Big Leaf Maple for a while now wondering what to do with it ... then I spotted a flower pot and thought that was the inspiration I was looking for so I put my monster to work. I know, I could have left the foot off it, but I thought what the heck. Anyway, the blank turned out to be very punky and I had major problems with tear out, but do to my trusty 80 grit gouge, I was able to get all the tear out sanded down. The inside was even worse ... all I got from the inside was coffee ground sized bits and dust. I had thoughts of parting it off where the base and form intersect, but LOML said no, I really like it just like that. Measures 10+ tall and 6.5 wide. So here it is. Finished with Waterlox and shellac. C&C are welcome. 262731262732

Tim Leiter
05-20-2013, 11:01 PM
It looks very nice. But I'm not sure about the foot. Nice form and finish regardless of the foot.......Tim. (Just my opinion of course).

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Wes - Congrats on your first hollow form! They can be extremely challenging but when you are finished - they are unique! As far as form, I think you have a real good start on a classic vase. Obviously, the foot is a little large but that is just one of those things to take into consideration the next time. You did a really good job on fit & finish! Nice work!

Looking forward to seeing hollow form #2!

David Reed
05-21-2013, 1:22 AM
Wes
Congrats on the new direction. I too love the top 3/4 of the piece. You did a very good job of dealing with punky wood and the finish looks great. The foot, as all other design features, is a matter of personal taste and covering the foot brings out a very classic form. Keep up the good work.

Tim Rinehart
05-21-2013, 4:09 PM
Wes, congrats on just keeping it together and wisely choosing the 80 grit gouge to deal with the tearout. Some neat looking curl in that stuff, glad you were able to save it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2013, 9:31 PM
Really nice looking HF. Not a fan of the foot but hey it is a start. Really nice finish.