PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my laser choice predicament

Michele Kaiser
05-20-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm a laser newbie and I've been wanting to invest in an entry-level laser for the last year and a half. I do vector illustrations and would love to create acrylic jewelry and accessories out of them. It has also been a dream of mine, and now I'm ready to take the plunge. :)

I want to cut and engrave 3mm acrylics and might also consider cutting and engraving 3mm plywood. Since these will be mostly for jewelry/accessories, some cut and engraved parts will be very small.
I live in a place where the laser choices are very few (either GCC Laserpro or Universal). I had to pick something between these two, because of the local support.

I've done my research and also exchanged a few talks with a Sales Rep for GCC Laserpro.
I've considered something between 30 and 40 watts. I've narrowed down my choice between the Venus II and C180.
Here's the confusing part (price-wise):
Venus II (30 watts, 11.8 x 8.2 in) - $14k
C180 (30 watts, 18 x 12 in) - $16.5K
C180 (40 watts, 18 x 12 in) - $20,625
Mercury III (40 watts, 25 x 18 in) - $20k

The 40-watt C180 costs $625 more than the 40-watt Mercury III.
I love that the C180 is small and compact but if it costs more than the Mercury which has a bigger work area, it might make more sense to buy the Mercury instead. But the thing is, my work area is in a basement that is only accessible through a narrow set of U-shaped stairs. I'm worried that forcibly carrying the big laser machine down there might do some damage to it. And there will be a time when I have to move out again, hence carrying it back up again.

My plan is:
I could buy something smaller in both price and size, like the C180 30 watts.
When business is doing good and I've reached my planned milestones, I can buy something bigger and more powerful to meet more demands.
I'm also afraid the Venus work area might be too small, and only good if you do more engraving?

So here's what I need advice on:
I need a small entry-level laser for doing the things I mentioned above. I won't be cutting huge pieces, just small ones with fine details to be used as jewelry, keychains, bag tags, etc. I'll be doing more cutting than engraving. Maybe 70% cutting, 30% engraving.
Is 30-watts enough? Or would it be better to go 40-watts?
Would it make sense to buy the Mercury with a 25x18 work area or is this too big for what I have planned to do with it? Might even the Venus be enough or is it best to buy something in the middle like the C180?

Also, what accessories would you recommend I buy with the laser? I'm sure about the honeycomb table and air compressor. But do I also need an air extraction system? My workplace will be near a window by the way, so I can set something up for ventilation. :)

Looking forward to your expert advice, as well as from those who have had 1st-hand experience with these machines. :)

Ross Moshinsky
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
If you're going to be mostly cutting, do yourself a favor and buy a Chinese laser with a 80w+ tube. You'll spend a lot less money, produce work at 2-3x the speed, and have a much bigger bed.

Lucy Lee
05-20-2013, 10:56 PM
for 3mm acrylic and plywood ,any laser machine can do a good job but for cutting, 40w will be better than 30w in anyway,if price is ok.
Best Regards

Rodne Gold
05-21-2013, 2:35 AM
If you go with GCC , get a 40w Spirit... get as much power and as big a model as you can afford.. but heed Ross's advice too..for $6500 or less you can get an 80w long life tubed 600x900 or 1200 x 900 laser..they split apart unlike the GCC machines so it wont be as big a problem to get them down the stairs... (well the 1200 x 900 might be)

Michele Kaiser
05-21-2013, 8:32 PM
If you're going to be mostly cutting, do yourself a favor and buy a Chinese laser with a 80w+ tube. You'll spend a lot less money, produce work at 2-3x the speed, and have a much bigger bed.

Thanks for the tip Ross. I'm currently looking into the Chinese lasers, specifically the Shenhui ones. Seeing their prices lifted a great deal of weight off my shoulders. :)

Michele Kaiser
05-21-2013, 8:59 PM
If you go with GCC , get a 40w Spirit... get as much power and as big a model as you can afford.. but heed Ross's advice too..for $6500 or less you can get an 80w long life tubed 600x900 or 1200 x 900 laser..they split apart unlike the GCC machines so it wont be as big a problem to get them down the stairs... (well the 1200 x 900 might be)

Thanks for the advice Rodney, glad to hear your opinion. I've been researching more after what you said and read through all the related threads I could find regarding the Chinese lasers (most of which came from you:)).
I've now decided on the Shenhui ones. I'm shocked to see the price difference between them and most mainstream lasers. It's also great that the spare parts and tubes cost less! :)
And based from others experience, yours as well, the support through skype is pretty good.

I'm looking at 50 or 60 watts because I've read from a thread of yours (I think it was on CNC) that the 80-watts don't engrave too well. I'll be engraving fonts smaller than 8pts as well so I think I'll have enough cutting power and engraving accuracy with 50w or 60w.
I've been measuring the doors and they all have a width of around 70-75 cm. So size-wise I might have to go with SH-G460-50W (400x500mm). Not sure if I can have this upgraded to 60W, I'm gonna have to ask.
But I've been considering also what you said about the machines that can be split apart. Could you tell me which parts are those? I've been looking at the pictures on the Shenhui site but I couldn't see any sample pics of the machine being split/dismantled.

Thanks for your help! :)

Lucy Lee
05-21-2013, 11:29 PM
@Michele Kaise,
If you just engraving, not engraving photo, 80w is also ok and for the split machine ,usally with bottom split with wheels (the bigger parts is usally 74cm) and middle spilt,262840

Best Regards

Michele Kaiser
05-21-2013, 11:30 PM
for 3mm acrylic and plywood ,any laser machine can do a good job but for cutting, 40w will be better than 30w in anyway,if price is ok.
Best Regards

Thanks Lucy. I think I'll go for something higher, around 50-60w. :)

Lucy Lee
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
@Michele Kaiser,
Yes, we said 30w or 40w not refered Chinese laser tube .

Thanks Lucy. I think I'll go for something higher, around 50-60w. :)
Best Regards