PDA

View Full Version : New Bandsaw user, how to install washers on bearing guides Rikon 10-325

Alicia Reenders
05-20-2013, 7:30 PM
Hello, I just bought my first used bandsaw, Rikon 10-325 14", and there seems to be a problem with one of the roller guides. I'm guessing that if the cover comes off these bearings, that is not a good thing. It wasn't rolling right, so I removed it and it came apart. I've searched already and sounds like I need a new bearing. SO, once I do that, I wonder what order I should re-install the washers and bearing. When I look at the other bearings on the saw, there are some installed one way, and some the other. My question, do I place the loose washer on the hex screw last with what I call the "sleeve" facing the hex screw head (see photo with one finger)? Or should the "sleeve" face the inside edge and the loose washer go on the hew screw first, next to the head (see photo with two fingers). Or should I just call Rikon and ask them? I'll post photos of the parts, and then a photo of each way I've described. Thanks for your help, hope this isn't too painful to read through. In parts photo, I call the parts from left to right: cover, bearing, hex screw, sleeve, washer.262716 262714262715

Lee Schierer
05-20-2013, 9:18 PM
It would appear that you have a shielded bearing. When installing it you need to be careful that the washer or the flange on the bushing are not touching the shield which would prevent it from turning. The washer should be lo larger in diameter than the visible outside diameter of the inner race of the bearing. The same is true of the flanged bushing. As far as sequence of assembly I can't say for sure, but perhaps someone with a similar saw will chime in on that topic.

Curt Harms
05-21-2013, 8:17 AM
If you put them together wrong, the bearing won't turn. How do I know? :o If you can tighten the screw and the bearing still turns you're probably good. The parts diagram in the back of the manual might help. I got sealed bearings from a bearings and drives store though some use shielded roller blade bearings for like $1 each. I've been using home made oil soaked wooden guides for the sides of the blade and have been pretty happy with those so far. IMO bearings don't work well for blades 1/4" and less, there's not enough metal in back of the gullets for bearings to ride against. If the teeth of the blade ride against the wooden guides there's no damage to the teeth.

Gus Dundon
05-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Would this manual helps? http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/manuals/10325_manual.pdf

Alicia Reenders
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Would this manual helps? http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/manuals/10325_manual.pdf

Thanks all for replies. The manual doesn't show anything about replacing or installing the bearings. BUT I called customer support, and the correct orientation is screw, "sleeve", bearing, then washer last. Good to know. I'm going to get some sealed bearings and hopwfully be back in business.

Gus Dundon
05-22-2013, 5:03 PM
Okay, that's a good news!