PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla vs Penn State...

Derek Arita
05-17-2005, 9:34 PM
OK. I had to ask, if it hasn't already been asked. The Penn State 2hp cyclone has a 14" impeller. The Gorilla has a 2 hp with a 13.5" impeller. I know I'm no expert, but both DCs have a 2hp motor and as we have all read, all things being equal, impeller size makes the difference...or does it? Tell me why the Gorilla sucks more or why it does not. Please speak in layman's terms. I'm no expert.

mike malone
05-17-2005, 9:55 PM
this link may help:

http://www.oneida-air.com/pressroom.htm

The oneida 2hp commercial is pretty much the same as Gorilla.
there are stats there for the bigger grizzly (2004)
what is surprising are the stats for the Woodsucker (don't know if that is the newer model, tho)

mike

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 9:59 PM
Look at some of the other specs...and the December 2003 Review in WOOD Magazine. (Use the Oneida 2hp Commercial system in that article for comparison as the Gorilla is essentially identical in performance...just a different color and filter) PSI uses the same blower for both the 2hp and 3hp systems...nothing is optimized; just bolted together. In fact, in the above mentioned test, the unit performed pretty mediocre other than at very high SP...a place you don't want to be with a DC system, anyway. (They tested the 3hp version, too, although not officially, and found it's performance the same as the 2hp machine) The blower outlet is 6"...Gorilla is 8". Inlets are 6" for the red machine and 7" for the yellow. The fan in the Gorilla is a customer designed and balanced cast unit and the same one that's in the 2hp Commercial I have in my shop. I honestly think that the new Grizzly units would be a better choice than the PSI systems...hopefully, at least...especially when the "old" Grizzly beat the pants off the red machine.

Gorilla is designed to perform better than the PSI Tempest. 7" inlet. 8" outlet. Precision designed impeller. Optimized size and design for the horsepower/blower/performance level. Made in USA by little elves in Syracuse. :D <G>In all seriousness, that word designed is important...and why Griz has been working so hard on their new entry. You can't just compete on price with savvy buyers in the Internet generation.

Bart Leetch
05-17-2005, 10:07 PM
"Look at some of the other specs" Amen

David Fried
05-18-2005, 7:56 AM
I saw the chart before I purchased my Penn State Tempest. Unfortunately I couldn't afford any of the cyclones listed and the Gorilla wasn't available. Even now, the introductory price of the Gorilla is almost TWICE what I paid for my 2 HP Tempest.

Yes, I bought the Tempest on sale, about two years ago, for under $500 including shipping and adaptor and 4" flex hose. Given the choice between a small bag style collector and the Tempest I opted for the Tempest and have no regrets. I still haven't finished the installation but it does a good job even with it's temporary mount and 4" flex hose.

I added weather stripping and caulk to all the joints and think that helps. I also needed to purchase a metal trash can, cut a seven inch hole in the lid and bolt/caulk a flange onto it. Penn State seems to omit these details. When buying adapters, etc. from Penn State it should be noted that they do not seem to understand the difference between ID and OD measurements!

I agree with Jim about the quality and engineering of the Oneida. When I upgrade there is no doubt in my mind I will get an Oneida. The difference between the Penn State and Onieda units in quality is Yugo vs. the Volvo.

Even with Grizzly in the market, I don't see a lot of competition in the sub $500 cyclone market. Like most things, you DO get what you pay for.

Bill Lewis
05-18-2005, 8:03 AM
Given the choice between a small bag style collector and the Tempest I opted for the Tempest and have no regrets. This is good advice to those on a budget. There is no magic behind cyclones. I am a firm believer that most people would be happier with any cyclone over a bag system.

The difference between the Penn State and Onieda units in quality is Yugo vs. the Volvo.Except for one thing, even the PSI will still have resell value if you want upgrade, Yogo's were disposable.:eek:

Jim Becker
05-18-2005, 8:33 AM
David, did you buy the 12" impeller version for that price or the 14"?

David Fried
05-18-2005, 8:38 AM
Jim,

It's the 14 inch.
It was on sale and it was two years ago.
Two years and I still don't have it all permanently mounted and ducted !!!

I checked the invoice, with SHIPPING and a couple of do-dads it was over 500.

I'm thinking it might work better if I painted it yellow ;)

Dave

Jim Becker
05-18-2005, 9:51 AM
It's the 14 inch.
It was on sale and it was two years ago.

Good deal, David...very good deal.

David Fried
05-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Good deal, David...very good deal.

Yes and it still took me a month to commit to it. Lots to ponder.

It seems that 500 is my price point. Lower the price to that and I can't resist. Used unisaw, Grizzly planer on sale, Refurbished Delta bandsaw, Veritas router table on close out, etc., all in that price range.

I figure for a first time buyer I'm not risking too much and I'll learn what's important to me before I invest in higher quality, higher capacity, higher priced equipment.