PDA

View Full Version : How do you judge the depth setting on a saw set?

Gordon Harner
05-20-2013, 5:33 PM
I have a Millers Falls No.214 sawset that appears to be similar to the Stanley 24? I have two questions for the saw sharpening gurus. 1) How do you determine how deep the plunger should be in relation to the teeth? 2) My sawset has a flat plate with serations that adjusts in and out that is below the anvil and plunger. It looks like it is used to stabilize the saw plate. What is it for? How do I use it? I have searched here but can't seem to find an answer that I can understand.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Koepke
05-20-2013, 7:40 PM
Gordon,

The Millers Falls #214 is one of the preferred saw sets. Some prefer it over the Stanley 42X.

My understanding of saw sets is the mouth of the saw set rests on the tooth line when setting the teeth.

Remember to set only every other tooth and then do the same from the other side. Try and set them the same direction they were in the past. They often snap off if you try to change the set to the opposite direction.

For my with new teeth I always try to set the first tooth at the heel to the left. This makes it easier over time trying to figure out the set the next time around.

My thought on set is as little as is needed is better. It is easy to add set, a bit more trouble to lessen set. Though some suggest over setting and then using a machinist's vise and note book paper to lessen the set.

I haven't found much information on the adjustable plate. Most likely it helps to keep the saw in place while doing the setting. If a saw is flopping around it is one more thing to worry about

Here is a link to instructions for Stanley saw sets. The #43 has a setting that I think may be similar in function to the #214'a adjustable plate.

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/stan-mbox/42man.pdf

jtk