PDA

View Full Version : Shop built Mallet

Edward Mitton
05-20-2013, 4:43 PM

This is a mallet I cobbled together many years ago. Very rudimentary, but has seen a lot of use. Basically, just a piece of 'whatever' wood I found lying around. Think its a slab of Doug Fir if memory serves. The handle is an oak dowel with a little groove turned in the end. The mallet faces are dented from the days in which one of my daughters, around age 6 at the time, pounded some nails with it. It is still very useful for knocking joints together and whacking chisels!

Steve Beadle
05-20-2013, 6:02 PM
262700Looks similar in shape and function to one I made this last year from some scrap purpleheart and mahogany (I think). This one has a laminated head and the handle is dovetailed within the lamination. Its amazing to me how much enjoyment I can get using a tool of my own making!
Steve

Jim Koepke
05-20-2013, 6:40 PM
Here is a link to building this one:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161952-One-Thing-Leads-to-Another

Here is one used for adjusting some of my planes:

Here are a couple used for whacking my froe:

The big whacker pictured on the railing is getting a bit worn. Likely in another season or two it will be making heat for the house.

jtk

Edward Mitton
05-21-2013, 9:16 AM
I totally agree: No matter how simple, a shop built tool is always more fun to use!
Nice group of mallets, Steve!

Steve Beadle
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Actually, Ed, the "group of mallets" were the products of Jim K's shop.

Edward Mitton
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Oops, sorry, senior moment......

Jim Koepke
05-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Oops, sorry, senior moment......

Well it is just a moment.

As you get older you have moments of lucidity.

We call those "junior moments."

Fifty years ago there were people who paid good money for something that would make them walk around all day in a haze. Now some of those very same people are paying good money for something so they don't walk around in a haze all day.

Some folks just can't make up their minds!

jtk

Michael Ray Smith
05-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Here are a couple used for whacking my froe:

jtk

Good thing I went back and read that a second time. The first time I read it as "whacking my foe."

Jim Koepke
05-21-2013, 1:25 PM
Good thing I went back and read that a second time. The first time I read it as "whacking my foe."

They would be good for that too.

My wife calls them "hubby clubs" to other ladies at the Farmers Market.

jtk

Edward Mitton
05-21-2013, 3:44 PM
Where else but a woodworking forum would anyone dare talk about whacking their froe!