PDA

View Full Version : My current selection of spokeshaves

Michael Ray Smith
05-20-2013, 2:46 PM
I've had several projects lately that called for spokeshaves, and I took the opportunity to try out a few designs to see what I like best. Most of the ones I've tried are old Stanley standbys -- 51, 52, 53, 54, 151, 152, and 64. I've never bought or tried the Stanley Razor edge spokeshaves, or any of the old wooden low-angle spokeshaves, mainly because I'm so happy with the low-angle spokeshaves I already have I and don't have much incentive to try them. At any rate, for the time being I've settled on the Stanley No. 67 "Universal" spokeshave (with both flat and round soles), the Veritas low-angle spokeshave, and the Millers Falls No. 1 spokeshave. I find it a real pleasure to use both the Veritas and the Millers Falls except when split-out becomes a problem. As a result of my experimenting, I've started using the No. 67 for those situations, and I'm using them more and more. Interestingly, however, I haven't found much written about them. I like the balance of the No. 67 better than the standard spokeshaves which feel a little top heavy to me, especially the ones with blade depth adjustment. The No. 67 is really resistant to chatter, probably because the blade is held so firmly between the main body of the tool and the sole, and maybe because it's very easy to flatten and smooth the surfaces that press against the blade (as compared to trying to flatten and smooth the beds of some of the traditional designs). Because the blade goes all the way to the edge of the body (and because the handles can be removed), the No. 67 can also be used for rabbets, although I've never tried it. Stanley even sold a fence for that purpose, but they're pretty hard to find. Although the flat sole and convex sole are interchangeable, I find it a lot easier to keep two tools, one equipped each way. It's easy enough to switch the soles, but it takes me a few minutes to get the blade adjusted after I do. The Millers Falls No. 1 and the Stanley No. 67 have something in common -- each of them (as far as I can tell) had only one significant design change, and it was the same in each case. In the early versions of both tools, both handles screwed into the body with right-hand threads, which made the left one prone to coming loose in use. Both Millers Falls and Stanley eventually switched that handle to left-hand threads. The No. 67 has an alternative location on top of the tool for one of the handles. In the later design, there are two spots, with left-hand threads and one with right. You can't tell the two designs apart on the Millers Falls without trying to take off the handles. Both of my 67's (and my Millers Falls) are the earlier design.

Tony Shea
05-20-2013, 5:14 PM
So what is the shave on the bottom of the photo?

Michael Ray Smith
05-20-2013, 8:31 PM
So what is the shave on the bottom of the photo?

That's the Millers Fall No. 1 -- aka, "cigar shave."

george wilson
05-20-2013, 9:04 PM
Did I make your cigar shave blade? I made some for 2 creekers,but have forgotten who.

Chris Griggs
05-20-2013, 9:12 PM
Did I make your cigar shave blade? I made some for 2 creekers,but have forgotten who.

You made two for Archie England...I saw them before I moved away from NOLA. They were nice and thick and made the shaves work very nice.

Archie England
05-20-2013, 11:19 PM

Greetings George! I've got two blades from you. Both mine are set and working well. Many thanks!!!!!!!

Archie, near NOLA

Michael Ray Smith
05-21-2013, 1:35 PM

Yes, you did, and they work great, although the one in the picture happens to be an original MF blade.

Tony Shea
05-21-2013, 1:46 PM
That is interesting, this is the exact reason I asked the question. I have that same spoke shave, which is in great condition except the blade is unusable. I was going to inquire about where one can get some sort of replacement blade for this shave. The original blade is super thin and is too short. There is no blade left sticking above the edge so I have no way to adjust the blade depth by hammer taps. The bevel that is on the blade needs to be ground back a bit to get past the terrible bevel and chips in the blade, but once this takes place there will be no blade left. So this shave has gone unused since I received it. And I have been in situations where I needed the tight radius this thing is capable of but had to resort to sand paper wrapped around a dowel instead.

george wilson
05-21-2013, 5:45 PM
I can make them,but have to machine them out of a round bar of tool steel,so it's a fair amount of trouble.

Mike Holbrook
05-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Glenn at Woodjoy Tools makes custom Spokeshaves at very reasonable prices. He has had quite a few very favorable reviews of his tools. Glenn makes his own blades and lists blades of various sizes for sale on his web site. He may have something or be willing to make something for an old shave with no blade. I watched a video showing his blades being made. He makes heavy duty nice blades, uses very good materials and seems to know how to treat the metal to get the most out of it too.