PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Charles Wiggins
05-20-2013, 2:15 PM
One of my coworkers was going through our old vertical files and found this thing.

Description:

It's a 6" cube of folded sheet metal coated with a textured black finish. The front and back are removable.
It has several paper labels that look like they were typed on a typewriter, cut out by hand and glued on.
The faceplate behind the crank is turned 90º left of the top (where the handle is). It is numbered 1-10, has a "YAXLEY" wordmark, and what is probably "Indianapolis" partially obscured by the mounting nut. Opposite that, also obscured by the mounting nut is "MAD_ ___ _.S.A.", presumably "MADE IN U.S.A.", and "PATENT APP. FOR". The paper label above the crank says, "Crank Slowly", and the one to the right is positioned between the 10 and 1 on the faceplate and says, "Stop.".
When you turn the crank there is not much resistance, but you can feel it hitting each one of the contacts inside.
Below the crank is a 1/4" headphone jack and is labeled, "Phones".
On the right side, in the red area, is a ~¾" hole with a knock-out plug in it.
On the back is part of a label that says "_TERIES", presumably "BATTERIES".
Inside the back panel is a label that says "2- 67½ Volt Batteries". (I've never heard of 67½ volt batteries.)
You can see that battery connectors in the photo. They look like 9-volt connectors but the snaps are larger and are spaced much farther apart.

I tried looking up Yaxley and I find references to "Mallory-Yaxley replacement parts" from "P.R. Mallory & Co., Inc." (http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Mallory-Yaxley-Pelmallo-Indianapolis/dp/B005DH3TZS)The YAXLEY wordmark is the same. I also found several patents for a Ernest E. Yaxley, mostly telephone stuff.

Any ideas?

Bruce Page
05-20-2013, 2:21 PM
An early lineman's phone?

Jerome Stanek
05-20-2013, 2:32 PM
I had something close to that it was a field phone

ray hampton
05-20-2013, 3:25 PM
the 67 1/2 volts battery consist of 45 single battery join together, my mother had a radio when I was a younger kid that use this type of battery, the radio require a ground wire before it would work, goats will eat anything once except a live ground wire