PDA

View Full Version : Curly Ash Bowl #1

John Hart
05-17-2005, 9:25 PM
I was talking to an Amish fellow over the weekend and he said, "You like workin with wood?" I said, "Yeah, a little". He said, "Well, I got this piece of wood that's just been layin' around...can you do something with it?"
It was this really nice slab of Ash...9X18. So I cut it in half for two bowls. This is the first one. I think I'll give him one as a thank you gift.

This has a couple of doses of BLO...I'm going to try my hand at waxing.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-17-2005, 9:59 PM
Now THAT is SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL, John!

Bruce

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
That ash really has a lot of character. You will do well to gift it to the man...who knows what will come of that long term!

John Hart
05-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys...I really enjoyed working with this wood. I might get hooked.

Yeah Jim, It'll feel good to give back. They have such a nice community....I'm thinking about moving out there.

Shane Harris
05-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Yep, I'm sure he'll appreciate it. That is beautiful.

Shane

Gary Max
05-18-2005, 4:57 AM
John that came out real nice. I know he will be proud to display the bowl---always a great way to make friends.

Andy London
05-18-2005, 6:11 AM
That is really beautiful! The wood is awsome!!

Sure wish I could find curly Ash somewhere around here, I have only come across one board probably 6 or 7 years ago and only 3 feet of that board was curly...

That will be an excellent gift and will go a long way with your new wood friends!

Andy

John Hart
05-18-2005, 7:11 AM
Andy,

I'll keep an eye out for ash for you. I think you'd love this stuff. And I'd sure like to see what a capable individual like yourself could do with it. Besides, it sounds like your collection needs it.

Raymond Overman
05-18-2005, 7:53 AM
John,

That sure is a pretty bowl. I have one ash on my property that's about 6" or 7" inches in diameter at 4' off the ground. I've been thinking on cutting it down since it's in the way of me building a shelter on the side of my shop/shed. This may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Nice turning and good find on the bowl. I'm sure the gentleman will appreciate the return on his investment with you.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-18-2005, 8:24 AM
John,

THat bowl looks great! Your gift back to them will pay many rewards in the long run! I am sure he will be saving more peices of wood for you from now on!

Dan Gill
05-18-2005, 8:36 AM
Beautiful wood and beautiful craftsmanship. And giving one to the wood "donor" is a beautiful thing to do.

Glenn Hodges
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Beautiful John, you are smart to give it back to the guy. Believe me if the guy has strong character your gift will repay you 10 times over.

Ernie Nyvall
05-18-2005, 7:45 PM
John, don't sell yourself short, that's a great looking bowl. I also agree that it would be a great gift back.

Ernie