PDA

View Full Version : Lens effect in Corel

Vicki Rivrud
05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Here is a problem that was presented, I have never heard of this and hope someone here can explain why this happens and how to prevent/disable the feature or function when using Corel.

Although I do not know which version of Corel was used I assume it is one of the higher versions because I do not have AutoCAD 2008 in my export as a dxf menu, as I only use Corel X4 and have never encountered this problem.

A project was drawn in Corel and then exported as a dxf:

The lines in the Corel file had a thing called "Lens effect" associated with them. This feature took all of the lines and saved them individually as bmp. After removing the "Lens effect" from each line the problem went away. All it did was take the new file type and scatter this new one all over in the destination folder. And I am talking about hundreds of them. Cleaning up the folder after saving was like cleaning up a parking lot with a toothbrush.
Your help & explanation is appreciated

Thanks
Vicki

Glen Monaghan
05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Dxf files can be a problem all of their own; I wouldn't think the lens effect directly has anything to do with saving individual lines... it's just an effect used to modify one object based on another object. From the help file:

Lenses change how the object area beneath the lens appears, not the actual properties and attributes of the objects. You can apply lenses to any vector object, such as a rectangle, ellipse, closed path, or polygon. You can also change the appearance of artistic text and bitmaps. When you apply a lens over a vector object, the lens itself becomes a vector image. Likewise, if the lens is placed over a bitmap, the lens also becomes a bitmap.

Lens/Description
Brighten/
Lets you brighten and darken object areas and set the rate of the brightness and darkness
Color add/
Lets you simulate an additive light model. The colors of the objects beneath the lens are added to the color of the lens as if you were mixing colors of light. You can choose the color and the amount of color you want to add.
Color limit/
Lets you view an object area with only black and the lens color showing through. For example, if you place a green color limit lens over a bitmap, all colors except green and black are filtered out in the lens area.
Custom color map/
Lets you change all the colors of the object area beneath the lens to a color ranging between two colors you specify. You can choose the range’s start and end colors and the progression between the two colors. The progression can follow a direct, forward, or reverse route through the color spectrum.
Fish eye/
Lets you distort, magnify, or shrink the objects beneath the lens, according to the percentage value you specify
Heat map/
Lets you create the effect of an infrared image by mimicking the heat levels of colors in object areas beneath the lens
Invert/
Lets you change the colors beneath the lens to their complementary CMYK colors. Complementary colors are colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel.
Magnify/
Lets you magnify an area on an object by an amount that you specify. The magnify lens overrides the original object’s fill, making the object look transparent.
Tinted grayscale/
Lets you change the colors of object areas beneath the lens to their grayscale equivalents. Tinted grayscale lenses are particularly effective for creating sepia-tone effects.
Transparency/
Lets you make an object look like a piece of tinted film or colored glass
Wireframe/
Lets you display the object area beneath the lens with the outline or fill color of your choice. For example, if you set red for the outline and blue for the fill, all areas beneath the lens appear to have red outlines and blue fills.

Vicki Rivrud
05-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks Glen, it's not a function I have ever used for laser cutting/engraving work. The other user is using Corel X5 and he thinks that the lens effect scattered his lines but he isn't sure and to tell the truth neither am I. It is a mystery why this suddenly happened.

I am sticking with X4 until all the cr*p is sorted out.

All the best,
Vicki