PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-20-2013, 9:24 AM
20 May 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
The only thing to post about from this past weekend is my #2 son graduated high school. He's been accepted at a local college and he also has been awarded and academic scholarship to the same college for full tuition. We are all very proud of Joe and all that he has accomplished. He is going to college and looking at a Criminal Law degree. No matter what, I want to support him in his decisions as best I can because my dad didn't support me in my decisions when I was growing up and...well, the rest is painful history.

Joe Peacock......I'm so VERY PROUD of YOU.!!!!

Celebrations this weekend with family and friends and it's back to the grindstone today for me.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

David Weaver
05-20-2013, 9:43 AM
Refinished a door, that's pretty much it. It's good to be a woodworker when you've got a bunch of stuff around the house to do, though. You can just see a job and do it, no using marginal DIY tools, or anything. Just walk over to your supply racks, get what you need, and do the job.

Congratulations to your son. And kudos to you for stopping the trend and dealing a better hand than you were given. When my mother was young, her father told her to stop opening her books because "you're not college material like your sister, you're wasting your time". It drove my mother to prove him wrong, but it could've easily done otherwise.

My mother had a little of that for me when I was growing up "you'll never do that, you'll quit before you get anywhere", but fortunately, my parents did provide financial support for me through most of college, which was more than they got.

Matt Meiser
05-20-2013, 9:49 AM
Worked my butt off on yard work mostly. I made a commitment to myself to "only" work a 40 hour week this week with the support from the project manager on a project I'm on so I headed out mid-afternoon on Friday and brush hogged our back 6-7 acres for the first time in a few years. I've been selectively cutting a particular plant to give trees a chance to come up but decided to cut everything but trees big and small this year to give some grasses a chance. Probably go back to selective cutting for a few more years after this. Saturday morning I finished up about 30 minutes of work I didn't finish before getting too close to running out of fuel and time to go get a very late dinner on Friday. We paid one of my wife's coworker's high school aged son to help us spread about 6 yards of mulch and several other jobs. After he left I finished up another 6 mostly on my daughter's playground which thankfully can mostly be done with the tractor. Wondering how much longer she'll care about that--might end up a big planting bed or dug out and reseeded as grass soon. My daughter had 2 friends over Saturday night so we took them out to dinner since we were too tired. After the friends were picked up on Sunday my daughter and I rode our bikes to the local greenhouse and my wife met us there with the truck to buy flowers for planters and plants for the garden. The two of them rode bikes home. Errands, dinner at my parents, and planting everything from the greenhouse wrapped up the day.

Alden Miller
05-20-2013, 10:01 AM
I completed some clamp racks for my shop.

-Alden

James Baker SD
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
I finally got my power feeder ("wood dragger" in the instruction manual) on my saw shaper. I just got a 3 wheel model, but that thing is so heavy I could barely lift the pieces. Glad I didn't buy a 4 wheel model or I would have needed hired muscle to help me. I had to put a plug on the cord; cannot believe how stupid I was, wiring the ground into one of the hot blades, but at least I know my circuit breaker works. After fixing the plug, it "drags" a piece of wood across the cast iron pretty nicely.

James

Art Mann
05-20-2013, 12:34 PM
I was all set to mount my router in its new router plate and table top when I discovered that the water heater was leaking. Unfortunately, I spent the whole weekend installing a new one - not very gratifying work.

Doug Richardson
05-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Finally screened and put hopefully the last coat of poly on the living wood floor. Woke up to this this morning:

Fortunately, was able to keep most of the dog hair out of this coat.....:D

Jamie Lynch
05-20-2013, 12:58 PM
We celebrated my SIL's graduation from highschool.
In the shop I dismantled my worn out old saw and began building a new router table.

John Sanford
05-20-2013, 1:54 PM
Saw the new Star Trek movie with my son. Nothing, nada, zip woodworking related, unless one counts opening up a package from Amazon that contained my new 6" dividers.

Ralph Butts
05-20-2013, 5:02 PM
I stacked about 3 chords of firewood over the weekend. Also found a great deal on a pellet stove, vent piping and pellets for the shop on CL. Once chord left to stack. Where are my boys when I need them?

Erik Christensen
05-20-2013, 5:11 PM
rough cut 18 sheets of cherry A1 3/4 plywood to go with the 10 sheets from last weekend. Ran the 80% that will be edge banded through the shaper for the edge groove and then made ~400' of solid cherry 1" edge band with tongue to match the groove in the rough cut ply.

Tom Scott
05-20-2013, 5:58 PM
Scored some old (hopefully Heart) pine from a timber building being demolished. Original construction is from 1930's, so probably not the PRIMO stuff, but still looks to be really nice with tight rings.
Total haul: (18) 2x12x20' and (3) 8x8x14'. I have some in the garage that will be the top of a new dining table and the rest are now covered outside.
Oh, total cost...$0.00. It's nice to have connections every now and then.

Tom262699

Keith Outten
05-20-2013, 7:36 PM
Congratulations to Joe Peacock and the entire Peacock family!
Congratulations to the Lynch family as well!

We hosted a pretty large Creeker visit this weekend. Eleven people visited The Creek here in my workshop in Virginia as we hosted another of our ADA Sign Sessions on Saturday and Sunday.

Joe Bradshaw
05-20-2013, 8:31 PM
I hosted my SO granddaughters boy friends brother and another granddaughters boyfriend in a bowl turning session. another granddaughter participated. they got three bowls. sorry no pictures.

Bruce Wrenn
05-20-2013, 8:46 PM
More physical theropy for me. Today marks five weeks since bi-laterial knee replacement. Stopped pain meds yesterday. Wife's brother and sister in law are over at her dad's. Saturday morning, got up and made biscutts, and took them over for breakfast. Went to Y on Sunday morning and did 500 steps on recumbent bike, and two laps around track. No shop time for me yet.

Andy Pratt
05-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Alden, I noticed the ladder through the window in your picture and have to ask what it is going to? It looks like a huge ladder leaning up against some bushy tree branches at a low angle and my curiosity is killing me as to what it could be there for.