PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on removing a riciculously glued rubber tire from lower BS wheel?

Michael Dunn
05-20-2013, 8:47 AM
Hey guys!!!

So my Carter Urethane tires came on Saturday. I took the upper tire off in less than 1 minute. The bottom? Not even close. It appears that this was glued on with an entire 55 gallon drum of adhesive. I sliced it and managed to peel about 2-3" off. I used my wheel puller to remove the wheel and set it on my bench. I thought this would give me more leverage and bette positioning.

Any tips? Any solvents that can be used to help break up the glue? I know I've been told that mineral spirits and paint thinner can be used to clean the glue off the wheel. Will this aide me in removing the rubber tire?

Doug Ladendorf
05-20-2013, 9:09 AM
Try a heat gun.

Michael Dunn
05-20-2013, 9:13 AM
Will do. Hey, it's early still. I can't believe I didn't think of that yet. I only spent about 5 min on it yesterday. Had to go somewhere. Shouldn't even have started it yesterday.

David Weaver
05-20-2013, 9:13 AM
MEK, acetone, xylene.

I'm not aware of anything that will remove a lot of glue without possibly taking finish off, though. At the same time, mechanical removal that would have you damaging the wheel wouldn't be good, either.

Jim Tabor
05-20-2013, 9:23 AM
Acetone, De-Solv-It or Goo Gone. Mike, I'm starting to worry about you and that Rikon. :p

Michael Dunn
05-22-2013, 3:48 PM
Acetone, De-Solv-It or Goo Gone. Mike, I'm starting to worry about you and that Rikon. :p

Shhhhh... I think of that ACM every day. The fence wasn't absolutely necessary... It sure will make this next job a ton easier. The tires, yes. Other than that I think I'll be we'll pleased once I get this behind me.

John Lanciani
05-22-2013, 3:51 PM
This works wonders on every type of adhesive that I've ever tried it on and it is pretty safe on paint as well;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/31roBEe47mL+_SL500_AA300_1277651809.jpg

Joseph Tarantino
05-22-2013, 7:26 PM
Shhhhh... I think of that ACM every day. The fence wasn't absolutely necessary... It sure will make this next job a ton easier. The tires, yes. Other than that I think I'll be we'll pleased once I get this behind me.

what does "ACM" stand for?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2013, 7:53 PM
Joseph,

ACM is an Italian manufacturer of bandsaws that has made in the past and does make a lot of the "European" or "Italian" bandsaws....Laguna.....Agazanni.....in the past Felder....

Bill Wyko
05-23-2013, 4:09 AM
If it's contact cement, use wax & grease remover, you can get it at automotive finish stores. It's used to remove wax, grease, tar, glue, oil etc. It won't harm paint or upholstery for that matter. I use it by the gallons for all sorts of cleaning, used it today to remove the protective film on my new Baileigh edge sanders cast surfaces, worked perfectly & no harm to the finish.

Peter Kelly
05-24-2013, 1:58 PM
what does "ACM" stand for?http://acmitaly.it/eng/company/about-acm

Ray Newman
05-24-2013, 3:34 PM
I have had good luck with loosening glues with KROIL, a penetrating oil. 'Sorta' hard to find, but it works and works well.

Kevin Bourque
05-24-2013, 4:31 PM
dry ice will do the trick, and remove all the old adhesive without damaging the metal.

glenn bradley
05-24-2013, 5:41 PM
Naphtha is inexpensive (and the active ingredient in other adhesive removers although doesn't leave a residue like goo-gone and others) and has dissolved many adhesives for me. I keep a little squirt can of it out in the open it is so handy.

Mike Heidrick
05-25-2013, 9:52 AM
GooGon, clean glue googon with water, then rubbing alcohol befor next adhesive

Myk Rian
05-25-2013, 9:50 PM
A chisel you're willing to trash. Sharpen it later.

Ruperto Mendiones
05-25-2013, 11:20 PM
spray brake cleaner. Removes contact [rubber based] cemented items easily and it is easy to find at the auto parts chains.

Ruperto

Doug Ladendorf
05-26-2013, 7:17 AM
Brake cleaner will take off paint so be careful.

Michael, lots of good suggestions. Any luck?

Michael Dunn
05-26-2013, 2:54 PM
Brake cleaner will take off paint so be careful.

Michael, lots of good suggestions. Any luck?

I tried MS, Acetone, and M.E.K to no avail.

I ordered the 3M general adhesive remover and it worked wonderfully. It's not all off yet, but that's only because I tried it when I should've been buckling my kids in the car to go to church today. I know this stuff will work.

Spray on. Wait a few minutes. Wipe with a clean, dry cloth. Repeat for heavy spots.

The hardest part was removing the tire. It took quite a while with a crappy chisel and a crapload of elbow grease. Lots of adhesive residue and tire remnants left behind. This 3M stuff is the ticket. I'll post pics later.

Thanx guys!!!

Michael Dunn
05-26-2013, 11:52 PM
It is finished...

(That is not a reference thumb, but a thumbs up of approval)

Thanx to whoever recommended this stuff!!!

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 11:12 AM
I cleaned off both wheels. I prematurely posted, "it is finished." Not realizing I had forgot to clean the upper wheel.

The new Carter urethane tires are on and I just made a test cut. Not bad. Possibly some further setup needs to take place as well as some improvement to my technique.