PDA

View Full Version : Acacia Endgrain Bowl

Kathy Marshall
05-20-2013, 12:04 AM
I was able to get the chainsaw running today and got one of my acacia logs cut up. The log was long enough to get 4 bowl blanks and I was left with a slice of the log that was about 4" thick. I was trying to decide if the slice was worth saving for some small turnings, or wether to just throw it on the scrap pile, when I had the idea to use it for an endgrain bowl.
After turning and sanding the outside, I applied some vinegar and steel wool ebonizing solution. The heartwood went black immediately, but the sapwood wasn't darkening enough. I found that dragging the brush from the heartwood to the sapwood would move some of the tannins from the heartwood to the sapwood. I wasn't looking for the sapwood to turn black, just wanted to get something interesting.
Since this was an endgrain bowl, I didn't want to leave the walls thick, so I opted to do the carving on the outside below the rim. That also gave it some contrast to the ebonized sides.

It's 3" x 8" finished with antique oil. If it survives the drying, then I'll give it another coat or two and buff.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Fred Belknap
05-20-2013, 6:49 AM
Kathy that is really pretty. You do a great job of getting the little slash marks even.

Bill Hensley
05-20-2013, 7:38 AM
I'm liking all your recent projects where you've added more character. The enhancement features are well done and take the projects to another level.

Tim Rinehart
05-20-2013, 8:38 AM
I like it. Nice gradual change of tone from the ebonizing...I think you're on to something. It almost has an airbrush effect.

steven carter
05-20-2013, 8:54 AM
Very nice looking bowl. I like the carving and burned accent lines, as well as the foot.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-20-2013, 9:00 AM
Nice Kathy, I love the ebonizing and your embellishments. What do you do to stop the end grain from cracking? And I suppose you wet sand to get a nice finish on wet wood. I turn a lot of end grain, but I have to anchor seal or CA the pith to stop it from cracking, even then about 10 per cent cracks, so unless I turn very thin I wait to see what will happen and then finish turn after waiting 6 months. Just wondering what your process is.

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2013, 9:19 AM
That is a beauty Kathy. Love the embellishments.