PDA

View Full Version : Work rain wear?

curtis rosche
05-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Started a new job, and we work rain or shine. Ive been looking into some rain gear but Im not sure whats best. I looked a Duluth trading company and at Carhart but wanted to know if there were any others to check out.
The job will involve climbing and crawling, so thin materials that could get caught and rip probably will.
I was gonna wait and see what the other guys wear, but that would mean a day of being soaked:o

Biff Johnson
05-19-2013, 10:20 PM
I live and work in the Great Northwest so I am qualified to speak on foul weather gear! It really depends on what type of work you are doing.

If you don't have a chance of being snagged, I would recommend Cabelas vinyl rain gear. If light weight and flexibility is important then FroggToggs. If you will be in the woods and mud, Filson makes the best around. All of these items come at a premium cost but it is all quality clothing that should last a long time.

I personally don't like working in vinyl rain gear since it doesn't breath well and not very flexible. My go-to gear is usually an oilskin jacket, felt crush hat and Filson pants. Bogs or Mucks are the standard chore boots if leather isn't required.

David G Baker
05-19-2013, 11:54 PM
I was part of a TV News camera crew and we worked in every weather imaginable. I started out with vinyl rain suit, I was wetter inside the outfit from sweat than if I didn't have any protection at all. I ended up with a Gortex outfit and loved it. It cost close to $300 for a top and bottom but it was worth every penny. I worked in some horrible rain storms and stayed dry and never got wet from my sweat. Prices may have dropped since I retired 14 years ago, I haven't kept up with it. I still use the Gortex when I have to work out in the heavy snow and rain.

Brian Ashton
05-20-2013, 2:30 AM
I was part of a TV News camera crew and we worked in every weather imaginable. I started out with vinyl rain suit, I was wetter inside the outfit from sweat than if I didn't have any protection at all. I ended up with a Gortex outfit and loved it. It cost close to $300 for a top and bottom but it was worth every penny. I worked in some horrible rain storms and stayed dry and never got wet from my sweat. Prices may have dropped since I retired 14 years ago, I haven't kept up with it. I still use the Gortex when I have to work out in the heavy snow and rain.

That was always my experience when living in Victoria BC. The colder clims cause the humidity given off by the body to condense on the inside of the rain gear so you're just as soaked. My way of beating it involved having a couple changes of clothes and a few stanfield wool shirts to fend off the cold. It's very reinvigorating when you throw on nice dry clothes and socks at lunch time. First thing when I got in the door everything went into the dryer ready for tomorrow.

Now a days if it rains i strip down to shorts and flip flops cause it's rarely below 70 in the day and the sub tropical rain is coming down so hard rain gear is useless.

curtis rosche
05-20-2013, 2:33 AM
I will be anywhere from up north in New york, to down south in the Carolinas,

Brian Elfert
05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
I had a fancy Goretex rain suit when I worked outside in the early 90s. The problem was either the rain suit wasn't put on early enough and one was already wet, or the suit didn't breath enough to get rid of the sweat. I never felt really dry most of the time. At least it was better than the heavy vinyl rain coats my employer supplied. You would be soaking wet from sweating in those.

Jim Matthews
05-22-2013, 7:57 PM
If you're climbing telephone poles - ask the current staff.
They will have dealt with exactly this problem before.

Grundens (http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Grundens-Outerwear-s/376.htm) worked for me. Nearly impossible to tear those...

I'll stay on dry land now, thank you very much.

curtis rosche
05-22-2013, 9:29 PM
If you're climbing telephone poles - ask the current staff.

Actually extremely nice swingsets,,,, Im sure a few of you have actually heard or seen or own one from the company

David Helm
05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
After 40 years of working outdoors in the great Northwet, I have come to the conclusion that there is no raingear that really works. Thick material also tears easily. Heavy non porous gear wets you as much through sweat as you would get without using rain gear.

Joe Angrisani
05-23-2013, 12:52 PM
+1 for Grundens.

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2013, 3:31 PM
I love my FroggToggs......Lite in weight and flexible. Keeps me dry even when I'm motorcycle riding in a thunderstorm. :)

curtis rosche
05-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm up in buffalo NY today, found when it rained I'm fine as long as my feet and socks are dry