PDA

View Full Version : Rough turned wet cherry, ways now stained

Steve Busey
05-19-2013, 9:24 PM
Now what? What cleans the stain off?

Rich Aldrich
05-19-2013, 9:28 PM
I turn a lot of cherry. To clean the ways, I use Boeshield and a scotch brite pad. Johnsons paste wax works good to help protect them.

robert baccus
05-19-2013, 9:31 PM
What stains--those are old pro marks. Cover them up with Walnut and Camphor stains.

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2013, 9:35 PM
I use a Scotch Brite pad and Johnson paste wax. Works great!

Steve Busey
05-19-2013, 9:55 PM
Ok, crisis resolved... ;-)

Found my Boeshield, but not my Johnson's paste wax. Anyway, a little elbow grease and good coat of T9 and I'm good to go.

Thanks guys. Never had wet wood stain the rails as fast as that cherry, which was cut and anchor sealed in November, and is still around 19% moisture, so it wasn't spraying me.

Thomas Canfield
05-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Steve,

Those stains are nothing compared to stains form wet oak with all the tannic acid. I wipe with mineral spirits before using the scotch brite and Johnson wax to get rid of most of the sap.

Doug Ladendorf
05-19-2013, 10:07 PM
What stains--those are old pro marks. Cover them up with Walnut and Camphor stains.

+1 Those ways were too pretty anyway. :p

I'll most often use WD-40 and a scotchbrite pad. Sometimes T-9. Expect it to happen with wet wood faster than you think.

Reed Gray
05-19-2013, 10:09 PM
I gave up on my old PM 3520A. The ways were a nice black color when I sold it to buy my Robust. There was no pitting, only the coloring. Oak and walnut were the best for discoloring your iron.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme
05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
This sounds like a good excuse to buy a Robust lathe.

curtis rosche
05-20-2013, 2:31 AM
Wear from use always cleans it off good :D

Bill Hensley
05-20-2013, 7:45 AM
I'm with Doug, scotch brite pad and WD-40. Cherry has been my biggest culprit. When it's a bigger project I'll drape a vinyl scrap along the ways and let the shavings pile up.

Steve Busey
05-20-2013, 8:43 AM
Cherry has been my biggest culprit. When it's a bigger project I'll drape a vinyl scrap along the ways and let the shavings pile up.

I like the draping idea, Bill. I have another half dozen plus of those cherry logs to rough out.

And it wasn't so much the staining that bothered me, but it kinda "gummed up" the rails that made moving the tail stock and banjo difficult. Will remember to wax the rails before I rough the next one, for sure.

Richard Jones
05-20-2013, 8:55 AM
Steve,

Those stains are nothing compared to stains form wet oak with all the tannic acid.......

Amen!! Oak will stain right before your eyes...............

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2013, 9:21 AM
Before I cleaned my bed like others with WD-40 and a scotch brite pad. Then waxed with Johnson paste wax. Now I drap a old ironing board cover my wife discarded over the bed when turning cherry, walnut or oak.

Jon Nuckles
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Scotchbrite with oil or green cleaner, then wax. Walnut has been the worst for me, but the oak and cherry I have turned has not been anywhere near as wet as the walnut.

Mike Koble
05-20-2013, 4:06 PM
Never-Dull works great to take the stain out. Also works great on any metal around the house. After I use the Never-Dull, I follow up with 2 coats of a clear paste wax for floors.

Dan Forman
05-20-2013, 6:13 PM
Preventive maintenance is the best approach. This product came up in a thread I started a year or two ago on corrosion from green walnut. It's the best I've found, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. I got the 8 oz brush on can, and it should last a long time. No solvents, made from lanolin. Fluid FilmŪ | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor (http://www.fluid-film.com/)

The film protects against moisture, as well as lubricating the ways - no sticky mess. I dab some on with the brush, then spread a very thin coating with a paper towel. Banjo and tailstock slide nicely on it, and though there still may be a slight bit of corrosion on the ways (only with walnut), it's a lot less than anything else I've used, including various paste waxes and wd40. The spray might work just as well for all I know, but the can is probably more economical.

Looks like it is now available at Grainger stores, or on the web from The Rust Store - Fluid Film (http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-C67.aspx)

Dan

Donny Lawson
05-20-2013, 9:55 PM
Steel wool and WD-40 works great.