PDA

View Full Version : Scheppach Tracksaw Died Today

Joe Scharle
05-19-2013, 8:11 PM
with less than 2 hours on the clock http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/images/smilies/dontknow.gif
A puff of blue smoke, a stink and that's all she wrote!

Dave Zellers
05-19-2013, 8:59 PM
Sounds like my first marriage. :D

Condolences.

Joe Scharle
05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
email reply from the eBay seller (tool_engineer) that I bought the saw from. 2.5 hrs after I sent him my first email. (apparently he's in Chicago)

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting us. I am really sorry to hear about your bad experience with the plunge saw. Here's what we'll do about it:

1. Confirm your shipping address with you:
Joseph Scharle
1234 Home Ct
Hometown, NC

2. Ship a new unit to you.
3. Send a UPS call tag to pick up the defective unit.
a. The call tag will be issued five business days after the new unit ships with UPS.
b. You should be able to use the same carton (to pack the defective unit) that you receive the new unit in.

Please let me know if anything is not clear or if you have any questions, and let me know if the shipping address is correct.

Thank you,

Ria

- tool_engineer

Now, if this works....why would I ever deal with anyone else!

David Weaver
05-20-2013, 2:44 PM
That's pretty solid customer service.

If your experience with the next unit isn't better, I can vouch for the makita (which I seem to be doing a lot lately). It cuts where you point it, it's super smooth. It's not cheap, but it's not festool expensive.

Joe Scharle
06-01-2013, 9:03 AM
Due to eBay having an old email address, I could receive from tool_engineer but eBay was rejecting my new email. Got that resolved on Friday and he shipped a new saw on Tuesday and I received it yesterday. Next, I'm to get an email with instructions for pickup of the broken saw. That's so I can use the same packaging materials. I can't complain about service like that!

Zach Callum
06-01-2013, 9:09 AM
Not surprising seeing that this is the cheapest track saw that you can buy.

Ole Anderson
06-02-2013, 2:56 PM
Not surprising seeing that this is the cheapest track saw that you can buy.

Not sure how to respond to this comment seeing as how I just bought the Grizzly version.

Curt Harms
06-03-2013, 7:18 AM
Not sure how to respond to this comment seeing as how I just bought the Grizzly version.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Every manufacturer produces things that give up their life smoke soon after being plugged in. Based on Grizzly's history, any problem would most likely be rectified quick. I recall reading about someone who had to return 3 Festool Kapex miter saws before getting one that was right.

Ole Anderson
06-03-2013, 8:19 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned. Every manufacturer produces things that give up their life smoke soon after being plugged in. Based on Grizzly's history, any problem would most likely be rectified quick. I recall reading about someone who had to return 3 Festool Kapex miter saws before getting one that was right.
My point was that I thought the response was quite insenstive. I felt the comment "cheapest you can buy" points a finger at the OP rather than the saw. Maybe I just got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Joe Scharle
06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Not to worry, Ole. The OP is neither insulted nor intimidated.

Harold Burrell
06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Not to worry, Ole. The OP is neither insulted nor intimidated.

Oh...well...then I guess we'll just have to try harder. ;)

Jim Aspin2
06-05-2015, 5:21 PM
I've seen the Woodwhisperer review. He has three basic reservations...
1) left to right wobble when on the track
2) quality of cut
3) stiffness of the spring that holds the saw up.
Can anyone address any of these?
for example...
1) have they improved the manufacturing or is was his a quality control issue not a design flaw?
2) does a different blade (please recommend) improve the cut
3) have they changed the spring now or can the spring be replaced w/o voiding the warranty?

Art Mann
06-05-2015, 6:23 PM
I watched that same review. His conclusion was that even though it has a few problems, it is way better than trying to use a home made guide and circular saw. I have no direct experience since i own another brand but i have read comments on how to address the problems. I can't remember them all, but the obvious one is to buy an upgraded blade to get better cut quality.

Mike Heidrick
06-05-2015, 7:11 PM
The dewalt you can adjust for side to side - guessing festool as well. Would be surprised you cant do that with Scheppach or maybe you can?

Matt Radtke
06-05-2015, 7:45 PM
1) have they improved the manufacturing or is was his a quality control issue not a design flaw?
2) does a different blade (please recommend) improve the cut
3) have they changed the spring now or can the spring be replaced w/o voiding the warranty?

1) I cheated. I bought the Grizzly add on pack that has an anti-tip clip. It's primarily for when you bevel the saw, but it completely solves the tipping issue.

Jim Dwight
06-05-2015, 8:04 PM
Universal motors are pretty simple devices and used in all kinds of equipment. Even a relatively inexpensive track saw should have a motor that works for years. Hopefully your replacement will.

Cody Colston
06-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Scheppach Tracksaw Died Today (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203463-Scheppach-Tracksaw-Died-Today/page2)

Surely you can't be serious. :D:D:D

Paul Wunder
06-06-2015, 4:57 PM
+1 on Matt's experience. The available clip solves the tipping problem and I upgraded the blade to:

Freud LU79R006M20 Perma-Shield Coated Thin Kerf (Amazon sells this as a Festool replacement.
Cuts very nicely now.

Floyd Mah
06-06-2015, 7:48 PM
The wobble only happens because the reviewer did not properly use the black plastic clamp on the inboard side of the saw. If you place that clamp so that the saw locks onto the track, the saw won't wobble. I guess others commented on that already. A while back, I posted a mod (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201914-Grizzly-Track-Saw-Review-from-TWW&p=2144474&highlight=#post2144474) to the saw to use the Festool part to help with the saw marks on the outside of the cut. It was a lot of fuss, but it seems to work. The spring is a bit strong, but not something that is hard to work with. In addition, if you are properly positioned to use the saw safely, it shouldn't be a factor.

Bruce Wrenn
06-07-2015, 9:48 PM
Joe, update your location. Bruce