PDA

View Full Version : Boy, are these things neat !

Glen Blanchard
05-19-2013, 6:25 PM
After watching a You Tube episode of Captain Eddie's where he promotes the use of a collet in the lathe, I filed this information away in case I ever had a need for it. Last week, after making a finial, I parted it off and placed it in its base. Upon inspection, I didn't care for the contours and wanted to modify it some. Then I had to figure out how I could do that with a 1/4" diameter tenon that was only 1/8" in length. I remembered the Cap bragging about the collets he uses, so I bought a full set. Once received, I chucked that collet up with the finial in it, fairly certain that it either would not adequately hold the finial or that it would not turn true. To my surprise, that collet had a gorilla's grip on that small tenon and the thing turned just as true as it did before I parted it off in the first place. I was able to tweak and modify the finial without incident. There is no doubt in my mind that I will find many uses for these little fellas and thought I'd share.

A set of seven collets, #2 morse taper is $67.00.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1752

John C Lawson
05-19-2013, 7:16 PM
Handy little guys, aren't they? I also use them in the tailstock to hold drillbits without taking up the length of my Jacobs chuck on my mini-lathe. You can't easily use a drawbar on the tailstock, but they work fine if you tap them in firmly (not brutally) with a mallet. And for those of you with larger lathes, they also come in MT3.

Dennis Nagle
05-19-2013, 7:47 PM
Great idea. I have a drawer full of them

Lori Kleinberg
05-19-2013, 9:36 PM
Hi Glen, do you know the name of the video, he has so many.

Glen Blanchard
05-19-2013, 9:51 PM
Hi Glen, do you know the name of the video, he has so many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1wyxZKp08

Enjoy

Doug Ladendorf
05-19-2013, 10:29 PM
That's cool. I've seen these but haven't seen them used. Thanks for posting.

Lori Kleinberg
05-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks Glen, I'll check it out.

Rick Markham
05-21-2013, 10:56 AM
The little machine shop is a dangerous place for me to visit. I have wanted a set of collets that's a good price for them too.