PDA

View Full Version : reverse sanding

chuck vernon
05-19-2013, 2:35 PM
How do I best use the reverse feature on my lathe to sand?

Doug Herzberg
05-19-2013, 2:42 PM
Use the set screw on the chuck, if it has one. Be careful if not. I alternate directions as I go through the grits. For difficult woods, like cottonwood, I go both directions with each grit.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2013, 2:48 PM
My chuck doesn't have a grub screw so you have to be a little careful going back and forth. I sand every other grit in reverse after blowing off the sanding dust from previous grit. I also will do like Doug and on difficult woods I also go both on each grit.

chuck vernon
05-19-2013, 7:01 PM
Thanks: the advice is helpful. I had already put a set screw in my spindle adapter and chuck. I will try reversing after each grit on my next bowl

Curt Fuller
05-19-2013, 7:17 PM
One other thing that helps with difficult wood.....if you're using a drill or air sander, reverse the direction on it also.

Reed Gray
05-19-2013, 7:42 PM
When hand sanding, I mostly sand in one direction for all the heavy sanding, and when in reverse, I only lightly touch the abrasives to the wood. We tend to use too much pressure most of the time when sanding, and one good way to tell if you are using too much is if it unscrews when you are in reverse. I do snug the chuck down pretty tight, and sand at slow lathe speeds of around 50 rpm. If the chuck comes loose, just let go and it stops unwinding, or hold on, and it comes off in your hand.

When power sanding, I generally have the drill in reverse/counter clockwise direction. This keeps the leading edge of the abrasive spinning off the rim of the bowl rather than into it, kind of at a right angle to the rim. Mostly this keeps the abrasives from catching on the rim. If I want an alternate grit scratch pattern, I rotate the drill 45 degrees or so to the spin so it is cutting parallel to the rim. It doesn't hurt to run the drill in the other direction as the bearings will tend to wear a bit longer.

robo hippy

paul vechart
05-19-2013, 9:47 PM
Chuck...here is a good video on sanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f2ygkdBhXQ

Reed Gray
05-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Oh, Vince of VincesWoodNWonders has one coming out before Tampa. I will add that one to my collection.

robo hippy

steve worcester
05-24-2013, 7:30 PM
If there is a set screw on the chuck, or whatever device you are using to hold the work, just reverse the lathe and sand on the opposite side, say 12-3 Oclock. But really, it isn't needed. Very few pieces I work would require sanding back and forth like this. Just being prudent to go through the grit, without skipping, and sanding in the same direction as the work is spinning, is needed. It is more likely that you aren't spending enough time on each grit, than you have to reverse.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-26-2013, 4:52 PM
My $0.02.

Seat the chuck on the spindle firmly, and do NOT use the grub screw. In the event that you forget that you have the grub screw in, or partially in, the spindle can get very buggered up if the chuck backs off. As Reed says, if it does back off, hold it and it will come off in your hand. Even if you cannot hang on, it will just fall on the floor, ruining the piece and making a dent on the floor. BUT your spindle won't have any gouges in it.

Once your chuck is firmly seated, it will not back off sanding.

Yes, I have tried to remove the chuck with the grub screw in.

Jeffrey J Smith
05-27-2013, 1:14 AM
My $0.02.
Once your chuck is firmly seated, it will not back off sanding.
Yes, I have tried to remove the chuck with the grub screw in.

I, too have tried to remove the chuck with the grub screw in place - once. That's all it took. With a non-hardened spindle like that on the Jet 1642, the results can be truly ugly (new lathe has a beautifully hardened spindle). I immediately ordered brass tipped set screws for all my chucks. Cheap insurance.

Incidentally, if you don't use the screws, make sure you don't use one of those no-lock spindle washers. You actually want the chuck to lock on to the spindle when running in reverse.

I use the screws when I've got them, but some of my vacuum chucks don't have them. I just make sure to knock them back against the shoulder on the spindle securely. I always sand in reverse - it keeps the dust collector out of the way and functioning better than when sanding in forward.

steve worcester
05-29-2013, 6:56 PM
My $0.02.

... As Reed says, if it does back off, hold it and it will come off in your hand. Even if you cannot hang on, it will just fall on the floor, ruining the piece and making a dent on the floor. BUT your spindle won't have any gouges in it....

I would not advise this practice. While the piece definitely will slow down as it is unscrewing, if it is real heavy, or gets caught on the spindle, it is likely to cause some human damage.