PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for storing chemicals in your shop?

Jack Gaskins
05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I have lots of chemicals sitting around my shop and seem to be collecting more after each turning project. It has always bothered me that they are on an open shelf unit rather than placed in a metal cabinet. What do you guys use for storing all of your chemicals??

Fred Belknap
05-19-2013, 1:12 PM
I have an old pickup truck tool box outside my shop that I keep most chemicals in, I also keep a chain saw in there, it leaks chain oil.

Doug Herzberg
05-19-2013, 1:20 PM
I have a proper flammables cabinet. One of my commercial tenants left it behind and I've put it to good use. The water based products are stored in the house, as my shop is unheated. I'm working on a super-insulated, heated finish closet to go with my finish room, so I can get these out there, too.

Grant Wilkinson
05-19-2013, 4:44 PM
I picked up an old steel two drawer filing cabinet for mine.

Jack Gaskins
05-19-2013, 7:52 PM
By placing the chemicals in a metal cabinet I guess your not trying to protect the shop from the chemicals but rather the chemicals from possible hazards in the shop? My cans are all stacked on an open shelving unit and on my woodturning tool holder cabinet but with so many cans in the shop I am beginning to worry if I have to many. Think its time to purchase a metal cabinet........

John Altberg
05-20-2013, 9:26 AM
I use an old upright freezer that no longer works. Turn the thermostat all the way (up/down?), keep it plugged in and you have light, but no compressor running. In my unheated shop, the insulation of the freezer helps to prevent freezing of my waterborne supplies.

Jack Gaskins
05-20-2013, 8:28 PM
I use an old upright freezer that no longer works. Turn the thermostat all the way (up/down?), keep it plugged in and you have light, but no compressor running. In my unheated shop, the insulation of the freezer helps to prevent freezing of my waterborne supplies.
Well that's an idea I had not thought of.