PDA

View Full Version : Makita track saw

mreza Salav
05-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I had decided to get the new Festool TS55REQ and now see that Makita track saw is at a good price of $400 at a local dealer (with the 55in track).
I have used the Festool and I think it's a good saw (maybe not as great as the raving reviews it gets but I know I would be happy with it). I know one of it's advantages is riving knife over Makita and perhaps a little better dust collection but those really don't justify the price difference of $660 (in Canada) vs. $400. AND the long track of Makita (which most likely I want to get) is less than half the price of Festool. So that's another $200 or so difference. I am not a brand loyal either (as I think Festool has good and not so good for $ tools).

Does anybody here have first hand experience with Makita track saw? Anything you DON'T like about it? Does it give clean splinter-free cuts on plywood? Does it have ZCI on both sides of the top like Festool? I'd need to buy a track saw soon (with a long track) and the difference of $570 for Makita and over $1000 for Festool is huge. I'm leaning towards Makita.

Comments?

Greg R Bradley
05-18-2013, 2:54 PM
I know I've commented on this in detail on this forum but search does not show the post I'm remembering.

I have both. Bought a very old Festo design 20+ years ago. When it came up missing, I thought the Makita would be good enough. I figure it is 90% of a Festool TS55 but the just released Festool has a few improvements, perhaps. I have not touched the new one that just came out, TS55REQ?.

When Festool had their 10% off deal, I upgraded and the Makita went to a production shop. The Makita does not have a riving knife, which was irrelevant to me. It does NOT have ZCI on the off-side, probably the largest reason that I upgraded. Short power cord on Makita and lack of Festool Plug-It was an irritation to me. The Mak is now permanently mounted above a dedicated 10x10' cut off station. I never noticed any difference in dust collection. Mak has a bit more power but TS55 has enough to suit me. The Makita anti-tilt has never been an issue for me since I've done 98% of my cuts at 90 degrees.

I find the Makita replacement ZCI for the tracks holds up better in our hot weather but you can see through the Festool one to see your mark. I'm using Makita ZCI on Festool tracks.

I think the BIG difference in price is that you can find the Makita on sale and the Festool not. They are both excellent tools.

I don't know where you are getting your pricing on 118" tracks. I'm seeing only about $50 difference and half of that disappears when you consider shipping since the Festool shipping is always free.

mreza Salav
05-18-2013, 4:43 PM
Thanks Greg. We are in Canada and the prices are all the same everywhere in Canada (I looked up on LeeValley site for the prices).
I'd most likely use it only for sheet goods, so riving knife isn't a big deal. I guessed it might not have the off-side ZCI. The rest are minor. Can you confirm that Festool can be run on Makita rails? somebody said so and if that's the case at least I can get the longer Makita rail (at half the cost of a Festool) even if I buy the Festool.

Greg R Bradley
05-18-2013, 6:02 PM
Festool TS55, and presumably TS75, will go on Makita track and work.

Makita will go on Festool track but you lose anti tilt function.

Curtis Myers
05-18-2013, 7:09 PM
I purchased the Makita solely based on price. Had it for about two years. Cuts very smooth. I use it mainly for sheet goods. The only thing that I wish was better is the length of the power cord. A small extension cord fixes that. I use my Mikita track saw with my Festool vacuum.
Below is a link to a comparison review of Mikita, Festool and Dewalt track saws.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/tools/tool-reviews/plunge-cut_saws

All The Best
Curt

mreza Salav
05-18-2013, 8:47 PM
thanks to all for the comments.

Jay Park
05-19-2013, 3:46 AM
When Festool had their 10% off deal...

When did Festool have a 10% sale?

Brian W Evans
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Mreza,

Makita just came out with a new version of their track saw. The saw/track combo used to have model #SP6000K1 but the combo with the newer saw (tracks are the same, I think) has model #SP6000J1. It is new enough that HD doesn't have it yet (although they are out of stock on the old model) and Amazon says there is a 3-5 week wait. The newer model is slightly cheaper on Amazon.

I'm not sure what the differences are but I plan to wait until the newer model comes available before buying the Makita.

David Weaver
05-22-2013, 10:20 AM
I have the makita saw. I haven't examined options on the ZCI much, but that's covered above. I just use it as it came out of the box.

The only caution is in the long tracks. Across brands, anything that's been delivered UPS, fedex, whatever individually seems to have a chance of being damaged in shipping. If you can get the long track at a local store, I would do that because you can check it before you buy.

My two pieces of short makita track are pin straight, and the cut is dead on against a 4 foot starrett.

Peter Quinn
12-12-2013, 3:09 PM
Mreza, or others who've used the makita saw, I'm curious did you wind up purchasing the makita, and if so how do you like it? I'm considering adding a track saw for breaking down sheet stock, I've only used the festool previously.

mreza Salav
12-12-2013, 11:56 PM
I got the Festool, first TS55 which during their recall was upgraded to TS75. Makita looked good (made in UK) but was lacking riving knife and also above the blade (to the right) ZCI piece that Festool had. I purchased the Makita 118" track to work with my Festool (it is compatible) and it has made my life of ripping 8/4 pieces for the doors so much easier (and the sheet goods).

Jeff Erbele
12-13-2013, 6:27 AM
In regard to track saws, I've never owned one but plan to buy one in the next 6-12 months, so I find the reviews helpful.

In regard to short power cords, I've owned a few power tools that have a working radius of 9" from any 110 vac outlet. Having my fill of always needing an extension saw and it becoming unplugged one times too many, I bought replacement power tool cord off the bulk spool and remedied those situations with more than adequate length for most any typical task.

Frank Saracco
01-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Sorry for rehashing an old thread. I just picked up a Makita Track Saw from Home Depot. They have a pretty good sale going and managed to grab one for ~$320 with the track. I've been reading all the reviews and boards regarding the accessories. The one I want most are the parallel guides. I've seen the Festool ones that you have to modify the track to work. There's the Seneca guides that seem like a good option, are cheaper, and appear to actually work better than the Festool parallel guides. With that said, I noticed that Makita has a track saw rip fence listed in the track saw accessories. It's part number 165447-6. I've searched high and low for a better description, reviews, or pictures or video of it in use. I can't find anything. It looks like it would be a good, inexpensive alternative for repetitive cuts. Has anyone seen one or used it?