PDA

View Full Version : Do you de-tension your bandsaw at the end of each day?

Glen Blanchard
05-17-2005, 4:52 PM
I know that the recommendation is to release the blade tension on a bandsaw when not is use - I read that as "at the end of each day". I am guilty of not doing this, and am wondering if I am the only one guilty of such an infraction.

JayStPeter
05-17-2005, 4:58 PM
Nope. I even have a quick release lever. Mine is rarely de-tensioned. When it is, I usually turn it on and throw the blade off.

Jay

Dennis McDonaugh
05-17-2005, 4:58 PM
Yup, I release the tension after every use. Sometimes I'll go weeks without using the bandsaw.

Here's a pic of the saw. I had to put a sign on it to remind me to retension the blade before I use it!

Richard Wolf
05-17-2005, 5:01 PM
I always release the tension. I have a cardboard sign that I keep on the saw to remind me to set and take off tension.
This is more important if you have a high tension machine and keep it cranked up to 20,000 to 30,000 Lbs. At lower tension, forgeting once in a while is not really a problem.

Richard

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 5:05 PM
I back mine off a couple complete turns, I figure thats a good comprimise, I just KNOW that if I totally loosened the blade i would forget and turn it on and I just think that would be all bad:eek:

jerry cousins
05-17-2005, 5:19 PM
yep - at the end of each day's use

jerry

Craig Zettle
05-17-2005, 5:52 PM
Here is my de-tensioning trick: I ALWAYS de-tension after I am done for the day, and I leave the top door open, so not only does this remind me that something needs attention, but the saw (the famous minimax E16) will not run with the door open. Foolproof (so far).

Chris Rosenberger
05-17-2005, 6:16 PM
I have been woodworking for about 36 years & never knew anyone that de-tensioned there bandsaws & I did not eather. After I got a MM20 in March & discovered how much tension is on those blades, I started detensioning it. I still do not detension my 14" Delta. Pictured is my reminder to tension the blade.

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 6:22 PM
I do most of the time...kinda a CRS issue. I also use a sign to remind me that the tension is off so that I don't start up without dealing with it.

John Hemenway
05-17-2005, 6:35 PM
I detension with handy quick-release. I hang the powercord over the quick-release to remind myself to retension. Kinda hard to use it not plugged in! :)

Tom Pritchard
05-17-2005, 8:47 PM
Yes, I de-tension the blade whenever I'm finished using the saw. I open the upper door on the saw so it won't start as a reminder to put tension on it before starting it up.

David Fried
05-17-2005, 8:51 PM
I usually detension it.. :o
Sometimes I forget. :(

Sometimes I forget to retension it. :mad:

I'm going to try the sign approach - 8 million creekers can't be wrong! :D

lou sansone
05-17-2005, 8:53 PM
like the other, I have a sign for my saw. BTW even the industrial saws like my 36" saw clearly state that you are to detension the saw. I also always lower my TS blade.

Mark Singer
05-17-2005, 9:01 PM
Yes and I push in the safety so I won't start it by mistake

Brian Buckley
05-17-2005, 9:05 PM
I de-tensioned my MM20 until I forgot to add tension once. I turned on the saw (1 " Lenox Carbide blade) and instantly cut a 4" gash in the top guard as the blade came off. Fine metal shaveings all over the cabnet and table. The noise scared the you know what out of me. I will take a picture and post it.

I currently do not de-tension my saw because I am too stupid to remember to add tension.

Brian

Glen Blanchard
05-17-2005, 9:07 PM
Okay, I relent. After reading the replies, I felt so guilty that I de-tensioned both of my bandsaws immediately upon returning home today from work. :eek:

Bruce Page
05-17-2005, 9:31 PM
Glen, I only de-tension the larger blades. If I have a 1/4 or 3/8 blade mounted, I don't worry about it.

Dan Owen
05-17-2005, 9:36 PM
I de- tension after every use. I paid too much for my MM16 to see if I can ruin something on it. Also. blade guard all the way up reminds me that it is not tensioned.

Tom Stovell
05-17-2005, 10:22 PM
As a side-bar...FWW had an article by Michael Fortune that recommeded using less tension on the blade in general and not having to remember to mess with it at all. It was a while ago but I thought someday I may have to try that process.

Tom

Erin Raasch
05-17-2005, 10:38 PM
At the end of the day, unplug & detension; next session, plug in & re-tension. We just got our first bandsaw recently, and since I'm already in the habit of unplugging tools when not in use, it was easy to get into a routine.

It's especially important because both my husband and I use the shop. This way we know that if the bandsaw is unplugged, it's de-tensioned.

Erin

Mark Singer
05-18-2005, 1:46 AM
Either leave the door open or oush the saftey switch in
I de-tensioned my MM20 until I forgot to add tension once. I turned on the saw (1 " Lenox Carbide blade) and instantly cut a 4" gash in the top guard as the blade came off. Fine metal shaveings all over the cabnet and table. The noise scared the you know what out of me. I will take a picture and post it.

I currently do not de-tension my saw because I am too stupid to remember to add tension.

Brian

Bill Lewis
05-18-2005, 5:50 AM
I have a Delta 14" that I bought just before they started including the tension lever. I always feel guilty about not de-tensioning the blade, but right now I've got an inexpensive blade on it anyway. De-tensioning is a pain with the knob.

Is it worth the money to buy the lever accessory, or the crank handle that replaces the knob? Has anyone put one of these accessories on their saw and now find that they are more likely to perform this task?

Does it become more of an issue if you upgrade the spring on the Delta? How about with the stock spring?

Phil Phelps
05-18-2005, 6:33 AM
1960 I think. I have only changed the guides on this 18" Craftsman. This saw has run 8 hrs. a day for many, many years. It's my bread and butter.

Frank Pellow
05-18-2005, 7:01 AM
I did for the first lttle while after I acquired the saw. Then I forgot to do so for a long time. :( This thread has reminded me and maybe (I hope) that it will become a regular thing that I remember to do.

Thomas Prondzinski
05-18-2005, 7:07 AM
I detension both bandsaws and hang the power cord over the table. Thats how I remember to retension.

Tom

Earl Reid
05-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I have a 40 + year old 12" sears and have never released the tension except when changing blades. It has the original tires. I put a larger moter on about 15 yrs age and changed the bearings oncs. I also keep the tension tighter than the gauge calls for. I use cool blocks and blades from 1/16th to 1/2.
Earl :o

Alan Mikkelsen
05-18-2005, 10:59 AM
The charge against you is failure to remove the tension from your bandsaw blade. How do you plead? Guilty, your honor.

FWIW, 14" Grizzly, 105" Timberwolf blade, usually 3/8". I think the saw is about 8 years old, but can't remember for sure. Honest your Honor, I'd detension if I could remember! :p :p

Byron Trantham
05-18-2005, 11:16 AM
I [always?] back it off four or five turns and like John, I hang the power cord over the tension wheel. Works for me.

Glen Blanchard
05-18-2005, 11:32 AM
The charge against you is failure to remove the tension from your bandsaw blade. How do you plead? Guilty, your honor.

FWIW, 14" Grizzly, 105" Timberwolf blade, usually 3/8". I think the saw is about 8 years old, but can't remember for sure. Honest your Honor, I'd detension if I could remember! :p :p

Or maybe.........

It's a Delta bandsaw your Honor.........ummmm........no, it's a Jet....I think it's a Jet......it's either a Jet or a Grizzly. The blade is a Woodcraft........unless I put a Timberwolf on it.....if I did, then it's a Timberwolf. Regardless, it is 96" in length.........but it could be 105". And I can't remember if it is 3/8" or 3/16", but it could be 1/4". I bought it in either 1985 or 1995. I know that the year ended in a "5". But your Honor, am I really supposed to remember to de-tension?

Hold the phone your Honor. I don't have a bandsaw anymore. I sold it 2 years ago. Or was it 3 years ago? Hmmmmm. :p:p:D

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
No, guilty as charged...

John Miliunas
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Ahhhh, does "most of the time" count as a "Yes"?:rolleyes: More often than not, yes I do and, strangely enough, even though I'm forgetfull about a lot of other stuff, I've always checked to be sure there's tension on the blade before firing it up. (Knock on wood!:D ):) :cool:

Ted Shrader
05-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Glen -

I release mine after each use (unless I KNOW that it will be used again shortly). Then, unplug the machine and wrap the end of the cord over the tension wheel.

Ted

Tyler Howell
05-18-2005, 1:02 PM
Yes, but for the vertically challenged it requires a step stool.:o

Dan Gill
05-18-2005, 1:05 PM
Oops! Not last night . . .

George Matthews
05-18-2005, 3:35 PM
I know that the recommendation is to release the blade tension on a bandsaw when not is use - I read that as "at the end of each day".

What are the physics behind this 'recommendation'?
Tire flattens on one side of the wheel?

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-18-2005, 4:43 PM
Yes, I detension after using it about 3 turns on the big chrome wheel.
I use an Iturra tension gauge and now have a magic marker mark for the 1/4 bandsaw blade that I have on it now.

Ed Breen
05-18-2005, 5:17 PM
I haven't ever detensioned my craftsman BS since 1985. I sometimes detension the 24" since if I turn it on with no tension it promptly jumps the wheels (all three) and its a pain to re set up.
Ed

Dave Harker
05-18-2005, 5:38 PM
Bill Lewis,

I have the Iturra crank handle replacing the tension knob on my old Delta 14". It makes it much easier.

All,

I detension several revolutions of the crank after each use, and lower the blade guard all the way to the table to remind myself to tension it (I must raise the blade guard prior to use, and when I do, I see the blade "loosely sitting there".

Jay Knepper
05-18-2005, 7:03 PM
I detension, and have always left the top door open to indicate the state of the saw. It's a pain since my 16" Laguna requires cranking a miserable handwheel at the top of the saw.

markgoodall
05-18-2005, 8:24 PM
Wait a minute.... I guess it's the same thing for me.
Yes, I detension the saw after each day's use. Except for the past few years it's been every 6 months :(

Happy Woodworking!

David Fried
05-18-2005, 10:46 PM
... De-tensioning is a pain with the knob.

Has anyone put one of these accessories on their saw and now find that they are more likely to perform this task?

Bill,

I just bought a handle hoping if it were easier I would do it. I haven't installed it yet but hope to install it and a new Iturra spring in the next week. Between the new handle and a sign maybe I'll start remembering.

Dave Fried

Jamie Buxton
05-19-2005, 12:38 AM
What are the physics behind this 'recommendation'?
Tire flattens on one side of the wheel?

As I understand it, the assertion is that the steel in the saw blade and the steel in the saw frame are somehow damaged by being left constantly under load.

By this argument, you should also put your car up on blocks every evening, so that the springs won't be damaged by the constant load.