PDA

View Full Version : That was a bit of a work out.

Brian Ashton
05-18-2013, 5:07 AM
Making shutters for the bedroom and need 120 shutter blades. Found it quite therapeutic to plane them all by hand. Didn't take near as long or was as hard as I expected. I didn't have a plane so I cobbled the one in the picture together - worked quite well. I had a D2 plane blade kicking around - only had to sharpen it 2 times during the planing.

Now onto the style and rails.

Jeff Wittrock
05-18-2013, 8:20 AM
Looks like a fun project Brian. Can't wait to see the finished shutters.

The coolest thing about purpose built tools is that once the project is done, the tools stick around and no matter how unique they may be, another use will come up.

Joe Bailey
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
color me impressed!

Andrew Hughes
05-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Wait a minute.That plane is big enough to hide a motor.Lets have a look.

Jim Neeley
05-18-2013, 4:45 PM
Brian,

Welcome to the wonderfully therapeutic world of using planes. Be careful, it's a slippery slope! <g>

Keep your eyes open and you'll be surprised how often you can use a plane instead of a power tool, with the time being about equal once setup is included. There's no comparing the feeling of satisfaction the plane gives you. I also don't miss the Kleenex full of sawdust later in the day.

Watch that plane though; now that you've seen the therapy they have a way of reproducing! :)

Jim

Tony Shea
05-18-2013, 7:09 PM
Very cool. I also would like to see more pictures of the plane.

More importantly where did you get the D2 plane blade and where can I get my hands on one? I would love to build a jack plane out of a D2 blade.

Harlan Barnhart
05-18-2013, 7:20 PM
I'm curious about that table with all the adjustable stops. Can we have a picture of that?